Alsatian 1880

rlea99
1st October 2014, 14:02
Hi, I'm a new member and am trying to find details of the voyages of the ship Alsatian out of Liverpool in 1880. My ancestor was a sailor on the ship and was washed overboard in the Bay of Biscay. Finding out details has been extremely difficult. Any information would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Pompeyfan
1st October 2014, 14:47
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard rlea99.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

rlea99
1st October 2014, 15:09
Thanks for the repy David. Fingers crossed!

fred henderson
1st October 2014, 19:30
A warm welcome to SN

You are possibly aware, but Alsatian was a cargo ship owned by Frederick Leyland & Co. She was built by Bowdler, Chaffer & Co, Seacombe, Birkenhead in 1877 and operated on Leyland's Liverpool to the Mediterranean service.

rlea99
1st October 2014, 21:25
Many thanks Fred. I did know some of those details thank you but very grateful to have the route confirmed. I have also been pointed in the direction of Liverpool's Maritime Museum to possibly get further details.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

All the best.

Hugh MacLean
1st October 2014, 21:53
Hello and welcome,
Was he lost overboard in 1880? I can't see anyone from that ship lost in that year? Would you wish to give his name?

Regards
Hugh

rlea99
1st October 2014, 22:05
Hi Hugh
Many thanks for coming back to me. His name was Charles McKeon and from the information passed down he was alive in the water for some time and ended up buried in Venice - presumably picked up by another ship. He was born in 1854 and was 26 when he died, hence the 1880 date. It could potentially have been a year either side, but further details are sketchy.
Do you have access to crew lists?
Many thanks
Roy

Hugh MacLean
1st October 2014, 22:14
Roy,
I have him as drowned from ALSATIAN on 8.4.1886. He was a Steward aged 37 according to the Deaths at Sea register.
Regards
Hugh

rlea99
1st October 2014, 22:34
Hugh

This is amazing information thank you. I have been searching for details for some time now and only stumbled across Ships Nostalgia today. In a matter of hours I have had fantastic feedback.

Clearly, we were 6 years out as family information was slightly incorrect. I am really grateful for the clarification. I am not sure if another ship did pick him up but I guess that will be a difficult one to clarify.

My next step now is to search Venice burials.

My best regards

Roy

billyboy
2nd October 2014, 02:17
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all all this great site has to offer

rlea99
2nd October 2014, 08:27
Many thanks Billy. The site has been brilliant for me so far. I have new information on my family research that I had been struggling to find for a long time.
Cheers
Roy

Roger Griffiths
2nd October 2014, 19:37
Hello Roy,
If he was drowned at sea, I doubt he was buried in Venice. Overseas British deaths as opposed to the Deaths at Sea register also gives him as drowned at sea. Of course the ship may have been docked/anchored in Venice and he was drowned and buried there but OBD usually gives the location of the event.
Where did this story come from?
The 1886 crew agreement for the vessel ALSATIAN Official number 76490 is available from here
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=76490
MHA charge $40 can. per hour research fee but they are very efficient
This may or may not clarify the situation surrounding his demise but it will give you some background information on him.

regards
Roger

rlea99
3rd October 2014, 13:22
Hello Roger
Very many thanks for your message.
The story came from my grandmother (Charles' daughter), via my mother. Other relatives have also confirmed that this was the story passed down. We were told that he was washed overboard in the Bay of Biscay and was in the water a long time. If this is true then in order to know this, he must have been picked up again, either by the s.s.Alsatian or by another ship. Otherwise, he would have just been left in the sea as drowned. We were told that he is buried in Venice.
Given that Venice is about 800 miles from the Bay of Biscay, we assumed that perhaps whatever ship picked him up must have been destined for Venice. He may well have still been alive when picked up but perished on the journey. We just don't know.
The crew list index link you kindly sent shows a classification of E2, which relates to no official log available.
Your feedback has been much appreciated. The mystery is unravelling piece by piece!
Very best regards
Roy

Roger Griffiths
3rd October 2014, 19:31
The crew list index link you kindly sent shows a classification of E2, which relates to no official log available.
Your feedback has been much appreciated. The mystery is unravelling piece by piece!
Very best regards
Roy
Hello Roy,
I am fully aware that the reference from MHA relates to the crew agreement only. That is why I wrote "This may or may not clarify the situation surrounding his demise"
By law deaths had to be recorded in the ships logbook. As no logbook is available then your only reference is the crew agreement. Hopefully this may contain some details of his death.

regards
Roger

rlea99
6th October 2014, 12:37
Many thanks Roger.
I have contacted MHA with regards to obtaining the crew agreement and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully, as you say, this will throw some more light on what actually happened.
Your advice has been invaluable.
Best regards
Roy

R58484956
6th October 2014, 16:28
Greetings Roy and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

rlea99
6th October 2014, 16:48
Hi and many thanks for the welcome. I have to say that my short experience of SN to date has been outstanding. I have received some superb information and this has enabled me to fill in many gaps in my search for ancestral background. I now have some key links in finding out further details.
Best regards
Roy