Hello

CruiserCliff
14th October 2014, 15:52
Greetings from the Southern Caribbean Sea as we finish up a 20 day repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale on board MS Zuiderdam. My wife and I are avid cruisers and we have been pretty much sailed the world.
I'm interested in in this forum primarily to learn more about my Father's (Raymond Hinton) career in the RNVR in WW 1. He joined the RNVR from Ft. William Ontario in 1915, attended a very condensed officer training program at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich and practical training at HMS Hermione in Southampton, presumably sea time as a sub-lieutenant before promotion to Lieutenant assuming command of ML 5, one of the first Motor Launches built by ELCO, Bayonne, NJ to be delivered to the Royal Navy. Any information on ML5 and the other 549 "Cinderellas of the Fleet" would be appreciated.

chadburn
14th October 2014, 18:06
Greetings from the Southern Caribbean Sea as we finish up a 20 day repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale on board MS Zuiderdam. My wife and I are avid cruisers and we have been pretty much sailed the world.
I'm interested in in this forum primarily to learn more about my Father's (Raymond Hinton) career in the RNVR in WW 1. He joined the RNVR from Ft. William Ontario in 1915, attended a very condensed officer training program at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich and practical training at HMS Hermione in Southampton, presumably sea time as a sub-lieutenant before promotion to Lieutenant assuming command of ML 5, one of the first Motor Launches built by ELCO, Bayonne, NJ to be delivered to the Royal Navy. Any information on ML5 and the other 549 "Cinderellas of the Fleet" would be appreciated.

See today's Site photographs regarding ELCO boats of WW1, there was a discussion about these boats on this site a couple of months ago when a member thought he had a Ships Bell off one of them. However it appeared the Bell was off a WW2 Fairmile B.

billyboy
14th October 2014, 22:24
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all all this great site has to offer

James_C
15th October 2014, 11:39
CruiserCliff,
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia. We do have a dedicated Royal Navy forum on the site where your questions would be better directed.
It can be found here: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=310