Acker Bilk

brooksy
2nd November 2014, 23:04
See that Acker Bilk has passed away at age 85.RIP no more of that velvet clarinet

willincity
3rd November 2014, 00:39
See that Acker Bilk has passed away at age 85.RIP no more of that velvet clarinet
Finally waded into the deep water. RIP Acker

"Stranger on the Shore"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ

Coastie
3rd November 2014, 00:48
My favourite of his which we used to use as a closedown theme when I worked on an "unofficial radio station" back in the 80's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqxTCAJEncg

Gerald Jackson
3rd November 2014, 02:14
My favourite of his which we used to use as a closedown theme when I worked on an "unofficial radio station" back in the 80's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqxTCAJEncg

Just close your eyes and listen to that beautiful clarinet.
Thanks Acker

Keltic Star
3rd November 2014, 05:59
Rest in Peace Acker, you were one of the greats and a Gentleman.

rickles23
3rd November 2014, 06:42
RIP Acker Bilk.

Strangers on the Shore was written for a TV program filmed in Brighton.

But what a musician!

Regards

Erimus
3rd November 2014, 07:29
Spent a few boozy hours with him and his band, plus Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, drinking draught Bass in the Central in Middlesbrough in 1959, I believe...after closing time they were looking for " somewhere to blow",

Geoff

OLD STRAWBERRY
3rd November 2014, 08:41
I think He hailed from Pensford in Somerset.

cueball44
3rd November 2014, 09:40
Acker Bilk. R.I.P. Great sounds from your clarinet.

jmcg
3rd November 2014, 11:11
A wonderfully fine player. In the same league as Nino Rosso albeit with different instruments.

RIP Acker

John

Dickyboy
3rd November 2014, 11:14
RIP Acker, a great musician and a real gent.

RayL
3rd November 2014, 11:16
Almost the perfect life, one might say; enjoying a long, long career doing what you love doing alongside wonderfully gifted people of the same mind, and having the talent and the luck to write your "pension"--Stranger on the Shore.

For those too young to remember 1962, that remarkable, haunting record dominated the charts for months and months through that summer and it inevitably came to represent that year in many minds.

I feel really glad that I had the presence of mind to press the 'record' button on my Humax PVR about eighteen months ago when a monochrome Trad Jazz programme from c1967 was re-broadcast by the BBC. The title was 'Jazz 625' and I found it so good that I've never had the heart to delete it. Acker and his band were the heart of the show but he had guests George Lewis and Beryl Bryden. I recommend you look out for it now in case the BBC repeats it again in Acker's memory.

BlythSpirit
3rd November 2014, 12:53
Got the great man's autograph in Dumfries when at school in '63, then had a crackin night on the p*ss with him and his trad jazz ensemble in a hotel in Aberdeen in '88, still the great personality. RIP Acker.

Alan Malpas
3rd November 2014, 13:26
He certainly won't be a stranger on the shore when he ties up,upstairs..

Powers
4th November 2014, 01:38
Sad to hear the news. I only saw him once and that was back in the late 1960's at the American club at RAF West Ruislip. He and his band were superb and they went down very well with the mainly american audience. After the show, whilst I was at the bar, Acker and his men invited my 'girlfriend of the day' to go onto a late night party somewhere in nearby West London. She was so thrilled at the prospect that she instantly forgot about me and had completely disappeared by the time I arrived back with her drink! I was a little disappointed with Acker when I found out but soon forgave him when I met a beautiful new girlfriend shortly afterwards. I made sure, however that I never took her anywhere near an Acker Bilk gig!

RIP Mr B. Regards....Paul

Erimus
4th November 2014, 06:27
He was living in Potters Bar in those days...we had a letter exchange as I had been promised an old striped waistcoat....

Geoff

Bill Morrison
4th November 2014, 19:34
Just had a look through my CDs'. I didn't realize how many of Acker I had. Also with Ken Colyer "Together Again" and Humphrey Lyttelton and others "Three in the Morning" but his versions of "pop" make great listening. I can't remember him playing "O When the Saints " but I am sure he will be now
Bill

Erimus
4th November 2014, 20:07
I sold all my Trad & Mainstream EP's at a car boot a year ago...many of them were signed too... Acker, Barber,Ball, Humph and Sandy Brown.....

geoff

lesbryan
4th November 2014, 21:08
I had the pleasure of meeting the man whilst serving in singapore and a gentleman he was too

ben27
4th November 2014, 22:18
rest in peace acker,a great musician,thank you,regards ben27

alan ward
5th November 2014, 12:00
Met him at The St.Giles Music Centres opening party,I was in the school band and he was charming.

Leratty
8th November 2014, 08:26
Oh to have sat with Brownie McG Sonny Terry + Acker Bilk envy there.
We will miss him however his musical gift to us all will live on.

Erimus
8th November 2014, 10:24
Oh to have sat with Brownie McG Sonny Terry + Acker Bilk envy there.
We will miss him however his musical gift to us all will live on.

Yes it was a treat and I didn't realise till much later how special the company kept was....the Americans were highly amused on the top foam on the draught Bass...didn't have anything like that at home!
Sonny was,of course, blind and kept dipping his finger in the beer...to much amusement of the packed pub....great memory.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsMW8t-8cVU

geoff

Philthechill
11th November 2014, 15:47
Just had a look through my CDs'. I didn't realize how many of Acker I had. Also with Ken Colyer "Together Again" and Humphrey Lyttelton and others "Three in the Morning" but his versions of "pop" make great listening. I can't remember him playing "O When the Saints " but I am sure he will be now
BillWas "Bad penny blues" one of his greatest? I certainly think so! Salaams,(Hippy) Phil

blurb10
11th November 2014, 16:20
Dear Phil

Bad Penny Blues written and played
Humphrey Lyttelton. 1956.

Regards Bob

Erimus
11th November 2014, 17:28
Dear Phil

Bad Penny Blues written and played
Humphrey Lyttelton. 1956.

Regards Bob

My favourite Jazz tune of all time.....saw him play it in 1958 at Middlesbrough Town Hall....

Later saw Johnny Parker and Stan Greig in Edinburgh....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5odaPQ0eVo

geoff

Bill Morrison
11th November 2014, 19:47
I never managed to see or hear Acker Bilk in a performance my loss but I did catch a Humphrey Lyttelton show in his latter years, still a great musician. Every one has their favourite piece of some ones music with Humph my choice is Ruritanian Blues also called (Blues for an unknown Gypsy)
Bill

madbob
20th December 2014, 04:16
RIP Acker Bilk. Brings back fond memories of good jazz, delivered by one of the personalities of the business, including his band. It was tough having to tear myself away from either the 100 Club or Ronnie Scott's in order to catch the 2340 last train home. Some nights it was worth sleeping on the station. And Mrs Madbob thought it was all work related !

RayL
20th December 2014, 08:48
Keep an eye open for the programme I mentioned--'Jazz 625'; one day it might be repeated. It dates from circa 1967 and shows Acker and his band at their peak. Clarinet giant George Lewis was his guest.

RayL
22nd December 2014, 18:25
It turns out I was wrong about the date of the show--it was actually May 1965. To give you a flavour, here are Acker and George Lewis playing Corine Corrina together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elp6U2gmjJk