Nautical Colleges Parade in London to St Pauls in the 1960's

sailbad47
11th November 2014, 18:10
Looking for information regarding a Parade I took part in while at HMS Worcester in the early 1960's. We marched through the City of Londaon and ended up in St Pauls, it was a Remembrance Parade for the Merchant Navy I think. I have no other details but would like pictures if there are any
Mike Dale(Retd)

nickwilson89
12th November 2014, 00:01
From what I can remember from my Pangbourne days, 1948-52, a special service was held at Saint Paul's on October 21st each year to celebrate Nelson's death at Trafalgar. I never participated myself
Nick
Looking for information regarding a Parade I took part in while at HMS Worcester in the early 1960's. We marched through the City of Londaon and ended up in St Pauls, it was a Remembrance Parade for the Merchant Navy I think. I have no other details but would like pictures if there are any
Mike Dale(Retd)

Chris Field
12th November 2014, 09:34
I remember that parade in 1951- as a Worcester cadet.
On the way through Ray Griffin, Gerry Pallet and I waved happily to the girls in the offices above. Sorry, but have no photos.

waiwera
12th November 2014, 10:11
Whilst doing my years pre sea at KE V11 Nautical College ( 1963 to 1964) - we attended this parade. Yes I think it was October so could well have been to celebrate Trafalgar rather than Rememberance.
Our uniform was Navy Blue Blazer with College Badge and grey flannel trousers and no head gear.
Marching and drill were not part of the normal carriculum - as it was at - Conway, Worcester, Pangbourne, Warsash. Mercury and many others in the 50's and 60's - so our English Master - Mr Bell was tasked to give us a few lessons prior to the event.
All went well up until the point that it was our turn to mount the steps at the front of St Pauls. The Uniformed Colleges had all very smartly carried out the off caps procedure at the top of the steps. For some inexplicable reason Mr Bell decided to give the order "Off Raincoats" at the top of the stairs causing considerable confusion!!
Just think - in those days there must have been hundreds of vacancies for cadets/apprentices in the huge Merchant Navy at that time. Sadly today's total UK Merchant Marine is less than 30,000.

matthew flinders
12th November 2014, 15:28
Whilst doing my years pre sea at KE V11 Nautical College ( 1963 to 1964) - we attended this parade. Yes I think it was October so could well have been to celebrate Trafalgar rather than Rememberance.
Our uniform was Navy Blue Blazer with College Badge and grey flannel trousers and no head gear.
Marching and drill were not part of the normal carriculum - as it was at - Conway, Worcester, Pangbourne, Warsash. Mercury and many others in the 50's and 60's - so our English Master - Mr Bell was tasked to give us a few lessons prior to the event.

That brought back a few memories of 1959. Mr Bell gave some rudimentary training exhorting all to "keep your thumbs down the seams of your trousies". A guy I had been at school with was also on parade and, as we had both been in the ACF, I think we made quite a decent fist of it.

clibb
12th November 2014, 17:37
I did this parade as a Worcester Cadet as well, but I think it must have been '58 or '59. All I remember is that we were led by the band, but as I was somewhere at the back I was nearer the next band than ours, and they were loud ! I don't know if we totally ballsed it up, but it was confusing.

duquesa
12th November 2014, 17:39
Memories indeed. I do have a photo taken of this parade somewhere in the depths of my files but, as it was of myself and the other numpties that particular year from Reardon Smith Nautical College, I very much doubt it would be of interest to others. I will however, try to locate it. That would be '57/8.

msalter
4th December 2014, 11:51
I have not forgotten that day 21st October 1959 and as you say I believe we marched up the hill (Ludgate Hill?) to St Pauls in our blazers and grey flannels to join in a service of celebration for Trafalgar Day. It was a dull Friday afternoon as I remember (from my diary.) I was attending the short course as a boarder at Cromwell Street. What a grounding at life at sea and ashore!

Waighty
8th December 2014, 11:06
I remember taking part in the parade to St Pauls in 1965 - I was in s group from Warsash, Southampton and the party immediately ahead of us were from London Nautical School. Seems a liftetime ago now.