Hello

Laceyboots
11th November 2014, 21:14
Hi all

I joined so I could see if anyone knows anything about the training ship Arethusa?

billyboy
11th November 2014, 23:04
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

gdynia
12th November 2014, 04:07
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Do a Google search alot of interesting info on her

R58484956
13th November 2014, 12:39
Greetings LB and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

matchstickman21
19th December 2015, 17:47
Hello,
I'm also new on here. But I am ex TS Arethusa 1956-1959 and my ships number was 21. I joined the MN as a radio officer, and worked mainly with Cunard Line.
Did you make contact with any other Are' boys?
Kind regards
Henryk Matysiak

R58484956
20th December 2015, 11:05
Seasons greetings Henryk and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

canadian
20th December 2015, 12:17
Hi all

I joined so I could see if anyone knows anything about the training ship Arethusa?

Hello Also ex Arethusa top std 123. Left December 1959. As someone has mentioned lots of info online including photos, also Arethusa old boys association worth a look.
Enjoy your trip.

matchstickman21
20th December 2015, 13:51
Seasons greetings Henryk and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Hello and thanks for your kind message.

Just by coincidence - several of my earlier trips with Cunard were to Canada - which I always enjoyed. Whereabouts in Canada are you? It's always a bit strange joining in with a forum that's obviously been running for years. It takes a while to get used to the way things run.

R58484956
21st December 2015, 11:44
Not in Canada, but the south of England.

matchstickman21
21st December 2015, 15:19
Not in Canada, but the south of England.

I only wanted to reply to someone who is ex-Arethusa must have made a mistake - however, thanks for your message. Not too sure what happened there! I thought I had a comment from someone I thought was in Canada - most strange! (Cloud) I am confused but I guess I should put it down to the way the mechanics of the forum seems to work.

Just for the record, I'm in Dorset!
Kind regards
Henryk

canadian
21st December 2015, 16:39
Hello Matchstickman. please let me try and undo the confusion, this a direct response to you with no quotes, the quote is normally in brackets at the top of the form with answers from different members. You will find that I responded yesterday at 1217 with the fact that I was on the TS Arethusa and left December 1959. If you scroll through the posts in this thread you should see different names at the top of each one be patient once you master it, it is fun.
I am a Canadian Citizen and live in the UK. Regards

matchstickman21
21st December 2015, 16:54
Thanks Canadian. I'm a fairly patient chap, so will try and understand in due course. I wanted to reply to the chap who said he was looking for information about the Arethusa. How do I find him on here?

canadian
21st December 2015, 17:13
Thanks Canadian. I'm a fairly patient chap, so will try and understand in due course. I wanted to reply to the chap who said he was looking for information about the Arethusa. How do I find him on here?

His member name is Lacyboots you will find his post which started this thread at the bottom, scroll through until you find Lacyboots 11th November 2014 note the year, it is not recent.
If that is not profitable use the search forum box on home page.
Hopefully more knowledgeable members will assist. Regards.

matchstickman21
21st December 2015, 17:36
Thanks for that Canadian.

I expect that if Laceyboots has never heard from anyone he may well have lost interest by now.

Are you in touch with the Arethusa Old Boys?

If you are, you'll be interested to learn that the tall-ship Peking, currently at the South Street Maritime Museum in New York, has just recently been sold to the German government, and will be transferred to Blohm & Voss in Hamburg in the new year and will become the centre piece of the Hamburg Maritime Museum. We await further news about this.

Kind regards
Henryk

canadian
21st December 2015, 17:53
Thanks for that Canadian.

I expect that if Laceyboots has never heard from anyone he may well have lost interest by now.

Are you in touch with the Arethusa Old Boys?

If you are, you'll be interested to learn that the tall-ship Peking, currently at the South Street Maritime Museum in New York, has just recently been sold to the German government, and will be transferred to Blohm & Voss in Hamburg in the new year and will become the centre piece of the Hamburg Maritime Museum. We await further news about this.

Kind regards
Henryk

Hello again Henryk, No not in touch with the AOBA, Was wondering when they would move her to Hamburg well worth a visit for many especially those that trained on her. Regards.

matchstickman21
21st December 2015, 18:31
You may be interested in joining the AOBA - if so get in touch with Brian Baker. He is our Membership Secretary he is on email :- [email protected]

The Peking will be moved in the new year - see the following link from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/nyregion/steely-veteran-of-the-sea-to-make-a-voyage-home.html?_r=1

Kind regards
Henryk

canadian
21st December 2015, 20:43
You may be interested in joining the AOBA - if so get in touch with Brian Baker. He is our Membership Secretary he is on email :- [email protected]

The Peking will be moved in the new year - see the following link from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/nyregion/steely-veteran-of-the-sea-to-make-a-voyage-home.html?_r=1

Kind regards
Henryk

Thanks for the links have forwarded them to my shipmate Ex Arethusa 127 tp std.

jmcg
28th March 2016, 19:26
Hello Matchstickman. please let me try and undo the confusion, this a direct response to you with no quotes, the quote is normally in brackets at the top of the form with answers from different members. You will find that I responded yesterday at 1217 with the fact that I was on the TS Arethusa and left December 1959. If you scroll through the posts in this thread you should see different names at the top of each one be patient once you master it, it is fun.
I am a Canadian Citizen and live in the UK. Regards

What number was assigned to you? Did you sail RN or MN thereafter.

I have a faded "crew" list sheet of TS Arethusa for 1968 through to 1970.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

canadian
28th March 2016, 19:44
What number was assigned to you? Did you sail RN or MN thereafter.

I have a faded "crew" list sheet of TS Arethusa for 1968 through to 1970.

123, mess 13 top std Merchant Navy. If my name is on the list please post initials so I can confirm. Also if possible initial for 127 on same mess thank you.

jmcg
29th March 2016, 05:29
No need to confirm initials.

J