Hello

Roy Fox
3rd December 2006, 04:51
I joined British Tanker Co as an apprentice in1946. I left in 1952 as Second Mate. I started with the maiden voyage of a tanker and ended with the oldest ship in the fleet - the British Engineer, built in 1918! I came ashore and carved out a successful new career in industry. I'm retired now, of course. I emigrated to Australia with my wife and three daughters in 1972 and have always lived in Melbourne - which I first visited in 1947. I enjoyed my time at sea and have lots and lots of wonderful memories. However, even in 1952 I could see the way it was going with the introduction of 'super tankers' which could only load off-shore and discharge miles away from civilisation. But I have retained a passion for the sea and ships (not boats or yachts). I get the on-line edition of "Flag", the BP Shipping house journal. I would certainly love to hear from anyone who served with British Tankers during my era.
This site sounds really interesting and I look forward to joining in the forums when appropriate. I stumbled across "Ships Nostalgia" while searching for photos of tankers of my vintage (1920's built to 1940's) for a family project I'm working on. I'd certainly appreciate hearing from anyone who has decent quality photos that may be of interest to me.

Keith Adams
3rd December 2006, 06:04
Hi Roy! I had barely started my sea career when you quit so you really must be an old fart! Anyway welcome aboard. I am very new at this computer stuff but
thanks to a great crowd (lots of free helpful advice)... I am managing okay.Snowy

Gulpers
3rd December 2006, 09:43
Roy,

A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey. I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates. Good luck! (Thumb)

gdynia
3rd December 2006, 10:26
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your time on site

R58484956
3rd December 2006, 12:18
Welcome Roy from the south of England enjoy the site plenty of ex BP lads on here.

non descript
3rd December 2006, 12:19
Roy, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and giving a nice introduction and guide to your maritime past; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Frank P
3rd December 2006, 12:21
Welcome onboard Roy, enjoy the site

Frank

Hugh MacLean
3rd December 2006, 13:31
Welcome aboard, Roy, I hope you enjoy the site.
Regards

benjidog
3rd December 2006, 15:05
Welcome from Lancashire Roy.

I am sure you will find the site interesting - check out the Gallery for photos - I am sure you will find quite a few there already.

Regards,

Brian