Flat batteries so time for a new camera

Day Sailor
18th November 2014, 22:26
Hi all
It seems like every time I pick up my camera to use it the batteries are flat. I can't use rechargeables because they wont even get up to the required 1.5 volts and regular AA batteries soon sink below the required voltage so I have a massive stock pile ready for use in torches which nowadays use very little power as they have LED lights.
So, unless anyone has any bright ideas I think it may be new camera time. I don't want to be in the same situation with my new camera so need a camera that isn't so voltage sensitive.
Suggestions please.
Present camera is a Canon Powershot S3 which is really too complex for my ageing brain to get decent photos with. I just leave it on auto and point and shoot. It has far too many options and menus which is ridiculous. I don't want to spend a fortnight reading a manual finding out how to get the picture I want because by then the bird has flown. I can't see anything through the viewfinder and the screen is far too small. My ideal would be a digital version of my old Olympus OM1 but I don't want to spend thousands of pounds. SLR would be great so I can see the depth of field rather than looking at a fuzzy screen.
Second hand is an option provided it is not like most power tools which last far longer than their unreplaceable batteries.
In the good old days I could have gone to a camera shop and asked!
Budget? I can imagine is your first question so lets say up to 1000 for the starter kit.

rickles23
19th November 2014, 06:24
Hi,

I have had a Fuji Digital Camera for two years now and no problems with rechargeable batteries.

It has four 1.2Volts 2300mAh.

Every now and then I put them through my Radio Control Charger which flattens them and then charges until they are charged.

I have some 1.2V 2300mAh which are pushing sixteen years of age and still power the radio gear as normal.

Regards

Fergie
19th November 2014, 07:03
I have a Power Shot A80 bought in 2003. It has taken me that long to master it and now I don't use it. My cell phone is adequate for all the snapshots I need. My camera uses two AA batteries and I purchased four Plus + Energy rechargeable batteries and a Plus + Energy charger with the camera. Two batteries are in the camera, the other two charged are in the camera case with a spare card. I charge them up every so often but have never been caught without battery power

vasco
19th November 2014, 08:15
I've had a Sony for a few years, for their price I find them perfect.

Lives in a drawer and the battery is always ready.

These days most cameras have usb chargers, so with an adaptor you can charge them from your car cigarette lighter/usb connection. Usually lithium batteries, so no need to discharge/recharge.

Hers the link, mine is cyber shot

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cameras

Alternatively, the latest sony z3 phone has 20.1 mp camera, takes lovely shots with a few frills and you will always have it with you. Though with a budget of 1000 I guess you are a pretty serious photgrapher.

john shaw
19th November 2014, 10:33
I had a PowerShot S5, the successor to your camera. I loved it- very capable camera, easy full-auto use or it will do whatever you want in any of the manual or various proigramme modes. It worked fine with decent rechargeables.

Anyway, it began stating shutting down and displaying "change the batteries" regularly. What it in fact needed was the battery for the time/date ( I believe it was a CR2032, but not 100% sure now) changing. It's slotted in beside the battery and SD card inside the compartment. Once I did that, no problems.............

Hope you get it working fine.

john shaw
19th November 2014, 10:36
.................and,further- if you really don't like the S3 anymore ( I loved the moveable viewing screen), and want a digital SLR- I can recommend a Canon EOS 400D or any of the later versions. I bought a s/h 400D- you can get a decent one with basic zoom lens at a little over 100.

alaric
19th November 2014, 10:48
Hi all
It seems like every time I pick up my camera to use it the batteries are flat. I can't use rechargeables because they wont even get up to the required 1.5 volts and regular AA batteries soon sink below the required voltage so I have a massive stock pile ready for use in torches which nowadays use very little power as they have LED lights.
So, unless anyone has any bright ideas I think it may be new camera time. I don't want to be in the same situation with my new camera so need a camera that isn't so voltage sensitive.
Suggestions please.
Present camera is a Canon Powershot S3 which is really too complex for my ageing brain to get decent photos with. I just leave it on auto and point and shoot. It has far too many options and menus which is ridiculous. I don't want to spend a fortnight reading a manual finding out how to get the picture I want because by then the bird has flown. I can't see anything through the viewfinder and the screen is far too small. My ideal would be a digital version of my old Olympus OM1 but I don't want to spend thousands of pounds. SLR would be great so I can see the depth of field rather than looking at a fuzzy screen.
Second hand is an option provided it is not like most power tools which last far longer than their unreplaceable batteries.
In the good old days I could have gone to a camera shop and asked!
Budget? I can imagine is your first question so lets say up to 1000 for the starter kit.
I recommend that you look at replacing the re-chargeable batteries rather than the camera.
I have owned a Canon Power Shot A560 for over 10 years, and have found battery life to be satisfactory using Energizer AA 2300mAh re-chargeable cells.
On the other hand, Energizer AA "High Energy" 1300mAh re-chargeables last for a matter of minutes, if you are lucky!
Take a magnifying glass to the battery shop to check out the small print before you buy.
Think of something else to spend your c 1k on, if you need any more advise call me!!

Erimus
19th November 2014, 11:33
I had to do an extended job as a Loading Super in Liverpool and took a dozen rechargeable with me...all flat within a day...went to local garage and bought some Energizers and a pack of four lasted a full days work.....

These days I use a Canon Ixus 15 and find one of their own rechargeable batteries gets me about 100+ photographs....

Whats a mobile phone??

geoff

Basil
19th November 2014, 12:05
For non-rechargeables, may be worth looking at:
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries

I've bought from:
https://www.buyabattery.co.uk

Day Sailor
22nd November 2014, 23:27
I had a PowerShot S5, the successor to your camera. I loved it- very capable camera, easy full-auto use or it will do whatever you want in any of the manual or various proigramme modes. It worked fine with decent rechargeables.

Anyway, it began stating shutting down and displaying "change the batteries" regularly. What it in fact needed was the battery for the time/date ( I believe it was a CR2032, but not 100% sure now) changing. It's slotted in beside the battery and SD card inside the compartment. Once I did that, no problems.............

I have checked mine and there is no additional battery, also found that other people have the same problem with short battery life as its operating voltage is too high for the batteries it takes.

Day Sailor
22nd November 2014, 23:31
.................and,further- if you really don't like the S3 anymore ( I loved the moveable viewing screen), and want a digital SLR- I can recommend a Canon EOS 400D or any of the later versions. I bought a s/h 400D- you can get a decent one with basic zoom lens at a little over 100.
Thanks John, I will have a look at them. I suggested to SWMBO that I would like a camera for Christmas and was told that my present is already sorted! Wow.

Farmer John
22nd November 2014, 23:36
A friend of mine, an early trialer of Digital cameras, bought a Kodak, many years ago. A brand new set of full spec Duracells would not always take 1 photo. He was a very persistent complainer, but they got away with saying in was within the normal operation cycle for the camera. I have a powershot G12, the battery lasts so long, I recharge before it fails, biggest problem is it is so covered in buttons etc. it can be difficult to hold without operating some function.

rickles23
23rd November 2014, 06:58
Hi,

In using rechargeable batteries use a good charger.

The one I use checks the individual battery and more importantly will totally discharge the battery first.

Regards

LouisB
23rd November 2014, 10:04
For non-rechargeables, may be worth looking at:
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries

I've bought from:
https://www.buyabattery.co.uk

As stated by Basil, lithium is a very good choice for high drain/longevity - more expensive but in the long run well worth it. Bare in mind that when using lithium ion AA cells a different battery receptacle would be required as Li cells are 3.6 volts and not 1.2v. I believe that AA cells advertised as 'Lithium' are 1.5 volts.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Day Sailor
23rd November 2014, 18:31
As the weather was rubbish today I spent some time bidding on various Canon EOS cameras and was eventually successful getting an unused 1100D with standard lens for just under 200 which seems to be a fair price. I followed it up by bidding on a 75-300 zoom lens which I won so you can all expect the gallery to be flooded with shonky, out of focus, underexposed and badly cropped pictures of whatever takes my fancy on the Medway.
Any reasonable offer for the Powershot will see your hand being bitten off. B\)

Day Sailor
6th December 2014, 10:18

Yep, that was the problem. Thanks for the knowledge John. I gave the camera to my son to sort out so one of the grandkids could use it and, with a new small battery, it should be fine now.

I am getting the hang of the EOS1100 and should have some reproducable pictures any day/month now. (Jester)

John Rogers
30th December 2014, 18:42
Do they make a power pack for that camera.?