Hello from Norman Stitt

norman stitt
9th December 2006, 10:43
Hello to you all. I logged onto the forum a little while ago and have enjoyed following some of the threads. I feel that it is now the time to say hello.
Sailed with BP for quite a number of years as Grocer. My last ship being British Ranger which I left in Dec 1992.

Norman

Gulpers
9th December 2006, 13:22
Norman,

A warm welcome to the site, and since you have been around for a few months, you already know that you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
I've moved your post from it's original location to make it more "visible" in its own thread.
Good luck! (Thumb)

R58484956
9th December 2006, 15:20
Hello to you Norman now that you are now a crew member enjoy what you see and join in as necessary. Bon voyage.

non descript
9th December 2006, 15:50
Norman, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and posting a "hello", do continue to enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings, now you are at home with it. Bon Voyage

benjidog
9th December 2006, 16:17
Welcome to the site Norman. I am sure you will find lots to interest you here.

I have never heard the job of grocer used in a nautical context before - I thought a grocer was a shopkeeper who sold groceries (maybe just my ignorance). What did a grocer do in BP?

Regards,

Brian

jim barnes
9th December 2006, 16:57
Welcome Norman, never sailed with BPnor ever met a grocer at sea, few farmers though?(Jester)

norman stitt
9th December 2006, 17:05
Welcome to the site Norman. I am sure you will find lots to interest you here.

I have never heard the job of grocer used in a nautical context before - I thought a grocer was a shopkeeper who sold groceries (maybe just my ignorance). What did a grocer do in BP?

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian.

Thank for your warm welcome.

"Grocer" was a nickname given by some to the Catering Officer on BP Ships.
No doubt because he was responsible for seeing the ship was replenished with
cabbages and carrots etc, and also that he ran the Bond and the Ship's shop

Norman

benjidog
9th December 2006, 18:46
Aha - I see it all now said the blind man.

I guess you would have been a good person to know in that case! ;)

Regards,

Brian

taid
9th December 2006, 18:57
Hello Again Norman! it's been a long time,
I see be the way you express yourself that you've not changed!
I never heard of you being called a grocer before! a few other choice things but not "grocer".
Never mind, we must chat about 'old' times with BP,
Welcome to the site and long may you sail with us.

norman stitt
9th December 2006, 23:48
Hello Again Norman! it's been a long time,
I see be the way you express yourself that you've not changed!
I never heard of you being called a grocer before! a few other choice things but not "grocer".
Never mind, we must chat about 'old' times with BP,
Welcome to the site and long may you sail with us.

Hi.Taid.
It is always nice to swing the lantern particularly if one knows the person as it helps to relate. You know what they say" You can call me what you like, as long as it is not to early"
What was the famous quotation by an American President? "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. It was inevitable that during thirty years with BP, someone was going to get a tad upset.
(Thumb)

taid
10th December 2006, 15:39
(Jester) Wrong stance norm! i don't think you upset anyone in 30 years . we knew you too well to let that happen,even to you useing or missusing quotes, enjoy yourself on the site,
seasons greetings,
catch you round the village soon.

Taid!

tillo
10th December 2006, 16:19
Hello & welcome to the site Norman.
Is it really so long since you retired?.
guess we're all getting a little long in the tooth now & quit a few gallons have passed under the keel since British Resolution & was it the "Hawthorne"
Refresh my memory sometime in 'Chat'
good luck & good health.
R.T.

Frank P
10th December 2006, 16:42
Welcome onboard Norman, enjoy the site.

Frank

Hugh MacLean
10th December 2006, 16:57
Welcome aboard, Norman, I hope you enjoy the site.
Regards

norman stitt
10th December 2006, 18:14
(Jester) Wrong stance norm! i don't think you upset anyone in 30 years . we knew you too well to let that happen,even to you useing or missusing quotes, enjoy yourself on the site,
seasons greetings,
catch you round the village soon.

Taid!
Hi Taid.

Point taken. but I do not think that Abe Lincoln would mind me substituting please for fool on this occasion as it seemed more appropriate.
Have a nice Christmas

gdynia
10th December 2006, 18:52
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

tillo
10th December 2006, 19:16
Norman, Have you upset tiad at some time in the past or is this site just your banter board?
Is anyone wanting to watch your play with words, taids obviously got a grievance but this is not the place to thrash it out,
Why don't you go on chat? or better still E-mail or meet.
R.T.

gadgee
10th December 2006, 19:41
Greetings from an ex BP man. Deck Cadet/Officer from 66 to 71. Welcome!

taid
24th December 2006, 20:25
Whats this?
No more misquotes from Mr Stitt.
It's been over two weeks now, since you gave some input Norm, or have you changed your handle?
Obviously Tillo Knows you only too well!
wonder if he'd like to meet with you, Norm.
Maybe chat over old times?
Were you possibly indiscreet with personal info about him, with topside crew like you were with me!
I must make contact with other of your past crew mates, Norm.
Have a nice one, we must talk later!

rushie
27th December 2006, 12:30
Welcome Norman,

A blast from the past.! You sailed with my dad, Gareth Roberts and you and your family visited us in sunny Colwyn Bay.!

Glad to have you aboard.

Rushie.

Graham Wallace
26th January 2007, 02:13
Hi Norman,
I see you have finally found THE site. I have been meaning to drop you a line but never got around to it. Naturally once I get into SN meals go all to hell

Graham Wallace