Hello from Spiffy

spiffy
3rd December 2006, 16:59
Ahoy there!

I'm Spiffy and I'm looking for info about the troopship Euphrates. My ancestor sailed on it to India in 1875. She was the wife of a saddler in the 9th Lancers and unfortunately came back without him. He may have been killed in a polo accident...trying to find info about it!

Gulpers
11th December 2006, 22:31
Spiffy,

A warm welcome to the site, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience! I am sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around the site. (Thumb)

non descript
11th December 2006, 22:55
Spiffy, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and posting a "hello"; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings to say how your search for your ancestor has been going. Bon Voyage

benjidog
12th December 2006, 09:01
Hi Spiffy - welcome to the site.

I am sure one of the older members will remember this. ;)

Take a look at the Ships Research forum - you may find some useful tips for your research there.

Regards,

Brian

R58484956
12th December 2006, 09:38
Welcome Spiffy to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

gdynia
12th December 2006, 10:36
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

stein
12th December 2006, 15:39
In the January 1955 issue of Sea Breezes there is an article on the so called "Lobster Pots": the troopship sisters: H.M.S. Crocodile, Jumna, Malabar, Euphrates and Serapis. With a picture of the Serapis. (Included) They were iron screw ships of 4173 tons with a max speed of 14knots. The Euphrates was built at Birkenhead by Laird Brothers and was delivered 1867. She was nearly lost in a hurricane in the Hughly river on her first voyage. She was in commission until 1894. The article is on two pages, were followed by two reader's letters on the subject, and is mostly technical. There is the information included that Kipling often wrote about them, who knows, maybe he has described a passage. (He is at least good for some background atmosphere). Also of some interest may be the information that the logs of the sisters are preserved in the national archives in the Public Record Office. Good hunting! Stein

Hugh MacLean
12th December 2006, 17:10
Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy the site.
Regards