mv Banbury

billjtr
28th November 2014, 13:44
Any members out there who sailed on the Banbury on a PSNC charter, a great crowd and good times rock dodging in and out of port up and down the pacific coast during 1977. this was after being anchored in the Mersey for the Queens sail by during the silver jubilee visit. Bill Powis AB

Pompeyfan
28th November 2014, 16:11
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Bill.

R58484956
28th November 2014, 18:21
Greetings Bill and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Pat McCardle
28th November 2014, 20:13
I went aboard her in Colon 1977 when I was on Somerset as Deck Boy, the Bo'sun sent me across to see if we could get some sail twine...My only venture into PSNC.

billyboy
29th November 2014, 01:39
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

billjtr
1st December 2014, 11:02
I went aboard her in Colon 1977 when I was on Somerset as Deck Boy, the Bo'sun sent me across to see if we could get some sail twine...My only venture into PSNC.

Did you meet any crew ?

TIM STENNER
1st December 2014, 17:13
Joined the Banbury in Hull 14.08.1976. as 4Th Eng.
Did the first three PSNC Charter round trips. Left the Banbury in Liverpool 16.6.77. Great ship and great time.

billjtr
10th December 2014, 22:20
Hi Tim
we must have been on there the same time, great run ashore in Valpo,and all the other ports, have good memories of the crew and times ashore.

Bill Powis

Pat McCardle
17th December 2014, 00:20
Did you meet any crew ?

Yes, I met a few on the main deck by the gangway and everyone appeared to be in the same state as our crew, enjoying Colon's delights![=P]

John.Wilkinson
11th January 2015, 22:23
Joined in Freemantle in 75 she was still the Iron Banbury then. We took a cargo of grain to Glasgow and encountered severe storms in the Med and had to go to Malta for repairs.
Did a further 3 trips on the PSNC run.

billjtr
12th January 2015, 11:55
Looking back my time on the Banbury was great and brings back good memories. I did a streak on the quayside in Matarani with a red ensign on a bamboo, very lucky to get back on board. the chief steward had to open the fridges so that the authorities could help themselves to hams and whatever they wanted !! I did thank him - he saved my bacon!

Cutsplice
12th January 2015, 21:08
Looking back my time on the Banbury was great and brings back good memories. I did a streak on the quayside in Matarani with a red ensign on a bamboo, very lucky to get back on board. the chief steward had to open the fridges so that the authorities could help themselves to hams and whatever they wanted !! I did thank him - he saved my bacon!

Not the best place to get up to antics, when I was in Matarani in 1965 we were advised not to go ashore. The reason was about 18 months previously a PSNC vessel crew got into a faracas where a young local died in the faracas. An assistant steward I believe was charged with murder and got a long prison sentence.
The agent advised that it was not advisable for the crew to have shore leave, apparently the police advised the same, we adhered to the advice given.

David Campbell
13th January 2015, 06:15
Joined in Freemantle in 75 she was still the Iron Banbury then. We took a cargo of grain to Glasgow and encountered severe storms in the Med and had to go to Malta for repairs.
Did a further 3 trips on the PSNC run.

This is from "The Iron Ships" A Maritime History of BHP 1885-1992--BHP Transport. Was at the Launch at Scotts Greenock. 19/10/1971.

tapdnalop
21st May 2016, 23:05
I was on the Banbury with Billy Powis that fateful day
Johno Johnson Chief Steward helped us out and also the Skipper
when the Captain on the Peruvian war ship wanted us arrested, are skipper wouldn't have it two lucky sailors

Arthur C
7th June 2016, 08:50
Hi All, I was a 4/E on the Cumbria when she was getting built at Scotts Dockyard in Greenock, Scotland. I only did the one trip on the Cumbria, she was a nice 30,000 DWT bulker. Alongside us on the Building Berth at Scotts was the Banbury, I know little about this ship, I know she was chartered to the Aussies. Some info. on Banbury & Cumbria would be great.

Arthur C
7th June 2016, 08:58
Thanks David Campbell for your info on MV Banbury, As mentioned it was built alongside us (MV Cumbria)
at Scotts, Greenock in mid 1971. Sounds like it has had a long, safe, History, Regards from Perth, West Oz. Ex 3/E (with Houlders).

David Campbell
8th June 2016, 03:02
Thanks David Campbell for your info on MV Banbury, As mentioned it was built alongside us (MV Cumbria)
at Scotts, Greenock in mid 1971. Sounds like it has had a long, safe, History, Regards from Perth, West Oz. Ex 3/E (with Houlders).

Hi Arthur. I am from Wollongong via Belfast. I was standing by the MV Iron Somersby at Harland & Wolff Belfast from April to December 1971. When I was asked to go over to Greenock for the Launch of the "Iron Banbury" and to see a Sulzer engine on the Testbed.

I retired from BHP in 1993 after 30 good years on BHP ships. David.

Arthur C
8th June 2016, 05:17
Hello David, Cheers for nice reply, My family & myself emigrated to Oz. in 1982 to Wollongong, from Newport, Monmouthshire in 'Old South Wales' during Mrs Thatcher's attack on 'British worker's Unions'. We Lived near Stuart Park in North Wollongong, we loved it. Sadly the job at the Steelworks only lasted 6 months, for us recent employed British tradespeople & 66 of us were made Redundant, in early 1983. We then drove across Oz to Perth. Where I continually worked till Retirement aged 60 in 2007. I did 11 years as an unpaid JP in my spare time, & coordinated two signing centres, at the Perth city Police Stations.
Moving to Oz. was the best thing I ever did, although I still love Wales & UK & we visit regularly.
footnote:- I did my family history about 10 years ago & found I had an Ancestor who came to Perth, in 1829 as a Pioneer Settler he was granted 7,700 acres of land in Perth area, he was also a JP & became Government Resident Magistrate in the southern city of Albany in the mid 1800's. His name was Henry Camfield.
Regards, Arthur.

David Campbell
9th June 2016, 02:45
Arthur. We are moving away from the "Banbury", so we could email direct.
My email address is in my profile. If you wish to contact me. David.

loco
14th June 2016, 01:44
I was on AMALRIC in Birkenhead drydock when the BANBURY was anchored for the Queen's review. The BANBURY borrowed most of our International code flags to assist in dressing overall for the occasion. IIRC, the Mate was John Yeo, who I later sailed with when he was Mate on CYS MARINER; when I last saw him, he was still on that ship but had transferred to Golden Peak and been promoted to Master on her.
Martyn

vasco
15th June 2016, 18:29
Mate on CYS MARINER; when I last saw him, he was still on that ship but had transferred to Golden Peak and been promoted to Master on her.
Martyn
I was on The CYS Mariners maiden voyage. I think I breifly met john yeo sometime, nice to know he got promotion. The ports that had trouble with that name. Sis Mareena, Sees marinair just a couple.