Benalder-Benavon-City of Edinburgh

Jim S
2nd December 2014, 15:46
My apologies if the following query has been answered before.
How was the propulsion machinery of the above named twin screw container ships configured when their steam turbines were replaced by three 7 cylinder Kawasaki-MAN engines?
Did they become triple screw?

Thanks

Jim S

A.D.FROST
2nd December 2014, 16:04
How was the propulsion machinery of the above named twin screw container ships configured when their steam turbines were replaced by three 7 cylinder Kawasaki-MAN engines?

Thanks

Jim S

each re-engined with 2x K7SZ90/BL(not 3)

Jim S
2nd December 2014, 16:37
Thanks for your prompt reply - That makes more sense than the entry in the otherwise excellent BEN LINE book by Graeme Somner (Ships in Focus Publications) where the error was repeated three times.

Regards

Jim S

john fraser
2nd December 2014, 19:10

Thanks

Jim S

If I remember they were still twin screw. I would need to look out any photos taken in drydock

Jim S
2nd December 2014, 21:34
Hi John,
I am convinced that AD Frost has given the answer - and the Ben Line book is wrong. I should have looked more closely at the BHP listed for the so called three engine conversion. 51,380 BHP divided by three gives a figure way below that of a seven cylinder 900 mm bore engine.
Divided by two it makes more sense.

Anyone any idea what the cylindrical object within a cage between the two engines is?

Regards,

Jim S