Hello from Ian in Cape Town

Ian Shiffman
30th December 2006, 08:18
Hi all

I find this site very interesting and hope to make some contributions
and new friends.
I have been photograophing ships since the age of 9, mainly in Cape Town
and Durban. I have also undertaken many photographic expeditions to Singapore, Hong Kong, Panama & Suez Canals, Med ports, US and Canadian ports amongst others. My collection comprises some 380,000 colour slides and
negatives covering all types of shipping. My photographs appear in a number
of maritime publications including Ships Monthly. Marine News as well as in
many books. Masny of my pictures are publlished under the name of
Table Bay Underway Shipping. I have a web site providing photographs or
digital images to book and newspaper publishers, shipping lines and collectors.
I have noticed many of my photohraphs have in the past been abused by
various people placing them on CDs for sale and on websites, and for that reason, should I upload any pictures, I will place a copyright across the
picture.

Best regards to all for 2007

Ian Shiffman

non descript
30th December 2006, 08:25
Ian, a warm welcome to you and a Happy New Year. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

R58484956
30th December 2006, 12:05
Welcome Ian from the south of England, enjoy the site and look forward to some of your photos even with the copyright on them. Bon voyage.

gdynia
30th December 2006, 12:49
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

Bruce Carson
30th December 2006, 13:17
Welcome, Ian,

For years I've enjoyed your photographs on other maritime forums.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Bruce C

david
31st December 2006, 03:12
Welcome aboard Ian, from a member downunder.
I have enjoyed your pics published in "Ships Monthly" for years.
I don't think you will find any "Pirates" on this site though.

David D.

benjidog
31st December 2006, 14:35
Welcome to the site Ian.

I am sure you will find a lot to interest here. Please let me know if you spot any of your photos that have been posted by someone else (hopefully there are none on SN!) and we will take action.

Regards,

Brian

Steve
31st December 2006, 14:41
Thanks but no thanks,we dont have pics with copyright splashed accross the vessel, nor do we allow members to join to set up a sales gallery.

You are welcome to contribute but only under our terms.

Thanks
Steve

R798780
31st December 2006, 16:36
Hello again Ian, good to see you on this site. There are already 2 or three of your photos here - dutifully marked courtesy of yourself. Enjoy.

Cheers

tanker
2nd January 2007, 20:10
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

non descript
4th January 2007, 07:40
Thanks but no thanks,we dont have pics with copyright splashed accross the vessel, nor do we allow members to join to set up a sales gallery.

You are welcome to contribute but only under our terms.

Thanks
Steve

Ian,

It is possible that you missed the earlier advice (above) from Steve and that led you to uploading your six images in error this morning.

5 have been removed, this one * remains for the time being, just so that you may see what we are referring to.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/45802/limit/recent

We would be grateful if you could help us and keep to the rules of the site, as it is for the benfit of us all.

Thanks & regards
Mark

Clive Anthony Fisher
4th January 2007, 09:26
Well put Thanks Steve, about time some one made a stand.
Regards,
Clive.

Ken Berry
5th October 2009, 09:21
Hi Ian,
Forgive me if I am taking a bit of a liberty.My Grandfather was an Engineer on a ship S.S.Sagamore.She was torpedoed 3rd March 1917.# life boats did get away,but the following morning there was only one left with 17 crew still alive.The other two lifeboats were never seen again.One of the 17
was my grandfather,3rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt.On the 12th March a Blue Funnel Ship S.S.Deucalion spotted the lifeboat and rescued the 7 crew still alive.One of whom was my G/D.They landed the survivors in Capetown,5 of them had to have their feet amputated right away.Due to Gangrene and Frostbite.My Mum always said she was sure he arrived home with his feet is the best way to put it.I managed to get some information from the [email protected] All it had on this small piece of Paper was Operations,amputations.starting 1920 and ending 1922,plus his name, rank and ship.My paternal G/D was also a seafarer 1938 he was Captain Alfred Edward Berry of the "Bramley Moore" Alexander Towing Co. Tug on the Mersey at Liverpool.He had this cutting about my other G/D T.E.Lunt how he had been a bit of a hero and was feted in Capetown.Unfortunately he became an Alcoholic and when his wife died my Nana in 1935,All Mums brothers and sisters came and lived with us.My Mum,Dad,Me and G'dad Berry (Pa).He knew T.E.L. and told me always to remember that T.E.L. was a brave man but Alcohol and pain had made him what he was and he still was a good man really.I was wandering if you could give me any names of the newspapers in Capetown in March !917.I went to sea in 1953 and T.E.Lunt had died in 1951.I had got to know him a bit when I played football with Liverpool.Pa died in 1955 and I was at sea on a delivery voyage of a small coaster to NZ fom Holland.The newspaper clipping was never found.If its not possible Ian Thank You for reading my rambling and Welcome to Nostalgia.Its a great site.Best Regards Ken Berry.(A)

billyboy
5th October 2009, 09:37
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer