Turnbull Scott Shipping

wbtk
1st January 2007, 04:06
Hi,
Just found and joined this site and was pleased to find some info on TurnbullScott shipping.I joined them in 1961 till 65 as a Deck/Nav App after two years aboad the training ship Arethusa.
I was on the Eastgate,Flowergate and Sungate and would be pleased to hear from any others,also any info as to where I can find photo,s of those ships.Also can anyone tell me what happened to the company ?
I live in New Zealand now.
Thanks for any help and Happy New Year to All
Bill

ruud
1st January 2007, 07:45
Ahoy Bill,
First of all Happy New Year, piccies can be found here, haven't a clue what happened to the company, but as so many probably taken over or disappeared.
Details Eastgate:
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eastgate1957datayk8.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eastgate1957datayk8.jpg)
Details Flowergate:
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flowergate1952dataxf5.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flowergate1952dataxf5.jpg)
Details Sungate:
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sungate1958datajx7.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sungate1958datajx7.jpg)

thunderd
1st January 2007, 09:04
Bill a very warm welcome to the site from Tasmania, lots to enjoy here and we look forward to your posts.

non descript
1st January 2007, 09:08
Bill, a warm welcome to you and a Happy New Year. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Mac
1st January 2007, 09:16
Turnbull Scott was formed in May 1911 as the London branch of the three existing Turnbull tramp fleets of Whitby, Cardiff and London and took over from the other companies the "Southgate", "Trongate", Westgate" and "Eastgate"
After eighty years trading, in tramps, tankers, bulkers, coasters and chemical carriers, their final remaining vessel the "Irishgate" 1599 GT was sold along with the rest of the company for 2.45 million pounds in May 1995.

Details from NL Middlemiss "Travels of the Tramps" vol 3 IBSN 1 871128 08 0
There are about sixty vessels briefley detailed in the fleet lists. I have a copy if you have any queries PM me.

Cheers

Mac

Gulpers
1st January 2007, 09:46
Bill,

A warm welcome to SN from Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site.
So, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

R58484956
1st January 2007, 10:04
Another warm welcome Bill this time from the south of England, enjoy the site and a happy and prosperous new year to you. Bon Voyage.

gdynia
1st January 2007, 13:51
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

tanker
2nd January 2007, 20:13
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

Frank P
2nd January 2007, 23:33
Welcome onboard Bill, enjoy the site.

Frank

ruud
7th January 2007, 06:01
Hi,
Just found and joined this site and was pleased to find some info on TurnbullScott shipping.I joined them in 1961 till 65 as a Deck/Nav App after two years aboad the training ship Arethusa.
I was on the Eastgate,Flowergate and Sungate and would be pleased to hear from any others,also any info as to where I can find photo,s of those ships.Also can anyone tell me what happened to the company ?
Bill

Ahoy Bill,
Thanks for the email,as the above FLOWERGATE wasn't the requested one, hereby another, the general cargo version.
Name:FLOWERGATE 1952[2]
Company:Turnbull Scott Shipping Co.
Built:1952
Wharf:Burntisland S.B Co.Ltd.
441'4" x 56'8" x 25'9"
4894 gt
2717 nt
9450 dwt
4 Cy. 2SA Burnmeister & Wain
In 1964 sold to St.Thomas Shipping Co.Ltd and renamed AMENITY
In 08-1977 sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co.Ltd and arrived at Troon on 09-05-1977 to be broken

wbtk
7th January 2007, 18:06
Ahoy Bill,
Thanks for the email,as the above FLOWERGATE wasn't the requested one, hereby another, the general cargo version.
Name:FLOWERGATE 1952[2]
Company:Turnbull Scott Shipping Co.
Built:1952
Wharf:Burntisland S.B Co.Ltd.
441'4" x 56'8" x 25'9"
4894 gt
2717 nt
9450 dwt
4 Cy. 2SA Burnmeister & Wain
In 1964 sold to St.Thomas Shipping Co.Ltd and renamed AMENITY
In 08-1977 sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co.Ltd and arrived at Troon on 09-05-1977 to be broken
Thanks for the lastest pic mate.Don,t know how or where you found it,but well done.Yep thats the one !Now,can you tell me,how can I blow it up in size ?
Cheers Bill

ernhelenbarrett
8th January 2007, 06:53
Re Turnbull Scotts, I am still trying to get a photograph of the Avistone
built at Burntisland in 1944 as Empire Martaban and was managed by TurnbullScotts before being bought by Aviation & Shipping Co (W.Purvis Managers) renamed Avistone in 1951 then sold to Turkey and renamed Turkiye in 1959 and scrapped at Istanbul in 1972. She was my first Marconi job as Trainee R/O on the Med-UK iron ore runs. If any oldtimer Turnbull Scott blokes out there ever sailed on her could you let me know. I was on her in 1954 and last ship was BHP Seakap in 1992
73's Ern Barrett QTH VIA

ruud
8th January 2007, 08:01
Thanks for the lastest pic mate.Don,t know how or where you found it,but well done.Yep thats the one !Now,can you tell me,how can I blow it up in size ?
Cheers Bill
Ahoy Bill,
Blowing up a small piccie in size, will not succeed, will send you a HR by e-mail, as for HR you can resize them to smaller formats.
Piccie was found in an old company[Turnbull] booklet.

ruud
8th January 2007, 08:04
Re Turnbull Scotts, I am still trying to get a photograph of the Avistone
built at Burntisland in 1944 as Empire Martaban and was managed by TurnbullScotts before being bought by Aviation & Shipping Co (W.Purvis Managers) renamed Avistone in 1951 then sold to Turkey and renamed Turkiye in 1959 and scrapped at Istanbul in 1972. She was my first Marconi job as Trainee R/O on the Med-UK iron ore runs. If any oldtimer Turnbull Scott blokes out there ever sailed on her could you let me know. I was on her in 1954 and last ship was BHP Seakap in 1992
73's Ern Barrett QTH VIA

Ahoy Ern,
Haven't found your AVISTONE, but here as EMPIRE MARTABAN 1944, sorry not the best quality, so as said 'better then nothing".

ernhelenbarrett
8th January 2007, 10:00
Ahoy Ruud, Many thanks for the photograph of Empire Martaban, this now completes my library of pictures of every ship I sailed on between 1947 and 1992 and they mount up to quite a lot from Ben Line Port Line Shaw Savills Bank BTC Glenns of Glasgow Van Ommerons to ANL BHP Burns Philp Howard Smiths Sleighs Mackilwrays and even one owned by the late King of Tonga and loved every minute. Many thanks once again
73's Ern Barrett

seanmac
28th December 2008, 18:13
Hi,
Bill
When were you on the eastgate

kenji
4th January 2009, 10:04
hello, i was on the eastgate for 11months as senior 5th eng and paid off in nov 63. was dismayed to hear of her demise after HK collision. i do believe that unfortunately there was a loss of life in that incident. would love to hear from anyone who was on board during that same voyage of mine in '63.

wbtk
19th August 2009, 06:29
Was on the Eastgate in 1961 mate

billyboy
19th August 2009, 10:46
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer