Hello All, Caltex Cardiff; Stanvac (Japan)

doog1111
1st January 2007, 23:48
Hi. My father John (Jack) Veitch was captain of the Caltex Cardiff until he passed away in 1967. I'm keen to find out more about the ship or about my dad from anyone who might recall him.

I'm also interested in another tanker, I think it was a Stanvac, possibly Japan, that blew up in the 1950s or early 1960s. Captain Hannah was the skipper at the time - I believe there were few, if any survivors. Any more info welcome.

Steve Woodward
2nd January 2007, 00:04
There was a master in Mobil who was the 2/0 on the Japan - Gordon Allelly ( not sure of spelling) Best described as a bit of a character.
He did not talk much about the incident, If I remember rightly he was on watch on the midships bridge at the time. The explosion blew the entire bridge structure overboard and Gordon got to his feet to see the ship sailing on belching smoke. Gordon escaped from the bridge by smashing a window with his bare hands ( all the doors were jammed shut) he found another person in the water but could not support that person long enough for rescue by what was left of the Japan.
I recall that all in the forward structure did not survive but personnel aft did .

I believe Gordon was also the captain of the Mobil Pegasus when she exploded as well

As I said I not entirely certain it was the Japan - perhaps if 'Pilot' reads this he can correct me

benjidog
2nd January 2007, 00:09
Hi Doog,

Welcome to SN from Lancashire.

I can tell you a little about the ship I think you are referring to:

Cardiff
Built by S.A. Cockerill - Ougree, Hoboken.
Yard No 792
Launched December 1958
Gross: 21877
Net: 13831
DWT: 31800

Your father's ship is referred to in this SN thread: https://shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=73929

You can search the site and the Gallery and may find more. I have no information about her fate but I am sure someone else will be able to add more information.

Good luck with your quest.

Regards,

Brian

mclean
2nd January 2007, 00:13
There was a master in Mobil who was the 2/0 on the Japan - Gordon Allelly ( not sure of spelling) Best described as a bit of a character.
He did not talk much about the incident, If I remember rightly he was on watch on the midships bridge at the time. The explosion blew the entire bridge structure overboard and Gordon got to his feet to see the ship sailing on belching smoke. Gordon escaped from the bridge by smashing a window with his bare hands ( all the doors were jammed shut) he found another person in the water but could not support that person long enough for rescue by what was left of the Japan.
I recall that all in the forward structure did not survive but personnel aft did .

I believe Gordon was also the captain of the Mobil Pegasus when she exploded as well

As I said I not entirely certain it was the Japan - perhaps if 'Pilot' reads this he can correct me

Re. Stanvac Japan, the second mate on Mobil Endeavour,RC Mortimer, described the incident to me exactly as you have. I was however under the impression that he was the 2/o at that time. I guess I was wrong. Regards Colin

gdynia
2nd January 2007, 01:52
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your time on site

Gulpers
2nd January 2007, 12:36
Doog1111,

......and a warm welcome to the site from me too!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.

mclean
2nd January 2007, 18:30
Stanvac Japan, after the explosion in 1959, was purchased and converted to a bulker in 1960. Renamed "Escape". Managers Bj. Ruud-Pedersen of Oslo. Regards

doog1111
2nd January 2007, 22:22
Many thanks for the assistance to all those who have replied to my original "Hello" message with my 2 queries.

Split
3rd January 2007, 05:23
I knew your father. I was fortunate to be 4th officer with him on the "Liverpool" about 1955-56.

Split

R58484956
3rd January 2007, 09:40
Doog1111 a warm welcome to you from a member of the crew, enjoy what you see and Bon voyage.

Steve Woodward
3rd January 2007, 19:40
Mcleans comment on 2/off Mortimer - Mobil often carried more than one second mate

mclean
3rd January 2007, 19:51
Mcleans comment on 2/off Mortimer - Mobil often carried more than one second mate

What I was trying to say is that Mortimer, who was second mate on the Endeavour in 1962 when I was there, was ex Stanvac, and I was uder the impression that he was the second mate on the Stanvac Japan,when she exploded.

John Campbell
4th January 2007, 19:36
Hi. My father John (Jack) Veitch was captain of the Caltex Cardiff until he passed away in 1967. I'm keen to find out more about the ship or about my dad from anyone who might recall him.

I'm also interested in another tanker, I think it was a Stanvac, possibly Japan, that blew up in the 1950s or early 1960s. Captain Hannah was the skipper at the time - I believe there were few, if any survivors. Any more info welcome.

If you contact Texaco Overseas Tankship Association Website. They were the successors of Caltex. I am sure you will find that many members will recall Jack Veitch who was a most respected Master by all who knew him.

You should be able to get details of the Stanvac Japan disaster from the archives as there was a large Board of Trade Inquiry into the incident and the results promulgated to to all at sea. I may be wrong but I think explosion may have been caused by defective tank cleaning machinery which had no bonding wire connnected. I remember the whole bridge structure was blown clean off the vessel.
best regards= Capt John Campbell

Ian F
27th January 2008, 15:55
Hi
I sailed with Gordon Allely (2nd Mate) on the Stanvac Japan, for 18 1/2 months as 3rd Mate. I paid off at Bahrain Light vessel on Friday 10th October 1958 and on Sunday 19th October, she blew up. There were 20 killed and 51 crew saved. The Court of Inquiry held on 12th -15th Oct 1959, was unable to ascertain the probable cause of the explosion owing to the abscence of any direct evidence, as all involved on the bridge and deck were killed.
I would be interested to hear any stories of any other crew members, especially Brian 'Mauser' Palmer (4th mate) who left 2 days before she blew up?

pilot
27th January 2008, 16:17
Steve, You're right Gordon Allely was the 2nd. mate on the Stanvac Japan. He was on watch when the explosion took place. Cheers.

Gulpers
27th January 2008, 16:20
Ian,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Thanks for your input to this interesting thread. (Thumb)

Ian F
27th January 2008, 19:29
ReplyThanks for your welcoming message. I sure will enjoy contacts and
topics on Shoes and Ships and Sealing Wax and ..etc
I also have the official MSA 1894 Court of Enquiry on Stanvac Japan
So if there are any questions on the Japan, feel free. Ian F

Ian F
27th January 2008, 19:37
To doog111
Norman Hannah was Captain of the Stanvac Japan.He was not the Skipper
because the Japan was not a Fishing Boat

Bruce Carson
28th January 2008, 14:53
From Michigan, a warm welcome to our site.
I see our members are offering advice and information, as they usually do.
Please enjoy Ships Nostalgia and all that we have to offer.

Bruce

Topherjohn
27th April 2008, 12:03

Just read your post mentioning Stanvac Japan. If you haven't already done so see also my thread https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=16807 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=16807)three pics displayed at/ adjacent to https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/114614/ppuser/20641
and if you knew my uncle Capt Pilley four of his photos at/ adjacent to
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/115732/ppuser/20641

Chris

ELLIOT HANNAH
6th March 2009, 11:07
I Have Just Joined This Website Today.
Captain Norman Hannah On Stanvac Japan Was My Father.i Was 6 When She Blew Up.
Any More Information Would Be Welcome As My Mother Has Never Really Wanted To Open Up About It

ELLIOT HANNAH
6th March 2009, 11:33
Are You Douglas Veitch ???????????????????
If You Are ----then Small World !!!!

ELLIOT HANNAH
11th March 2009, 12:14
Hello Douglas........how are you ????

Hope you have managed to find out something about your Dad.......God, I can still see his face in the back garden.

If you find out anything about mine,please let me know.

Best wishes

Elliot.

doog1111
4th July 2009, 22:59
Hello Elliot. Yes. I'm Douglas, Spencer's big brother. I'm on holiday at present in Islay and it's hard to get a signal here. I haven't been on this site for ages, but the owner of the house we're staying at has a few books about tankers and it jogged my memory to check in. I've found out a few bits and pieces about my own father, and a wee bit about the Japan. Once I get home (still in Glasgow, as is Spencer), I'll try to pull things together a bit. What's been happening with you, over the last 50 odd years?

Good to hear from you

Dougie

ChrissieMc
1st October 2018, 04:33
Hi There, My father sailed on the Japan, 3 days before she blew he was promoted and was moved, therefore just missed the terrible incident. His name was Michael Mcevoy? I'm am unsure of his role at the time. I am trying to find anyone he knew or sailed with him so he can reconnect.