Hello from an ex Sparky

Tad
2nd January 2007, 20:21
Hi Everyone,
I was a Sparky many years ago mostly with the Bank Line but also with one or two others including Foreign Flag vessels.
Nice to be here.

bert thompson
2nd January 2007, 20:30
Welcome Tad to this wonderful site.
Plenty of ex R/O's on here. Of course we are all ex now
Best wishes
Bert

non descript
2nd January 2007, 20:32
Tad, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site (you will find there are plenty of Sparkies here) and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

Ron Stringer
2nd January 2007, 21:23
Tad,
Welcome to the site. Any chance of you adding to your profile so that we can see the ships' names and dates that you were on them? To edit your profile click on Quick Links (at the top of the page) and the Edit Profile. You may well find that there are ex-shipmates on here that will respond once they are aware of the ships that you were on with them. Regards

thunderd
2nd January 2007, 21:58
Another warm welcome from Tasmania Tad, I hope you enjoy the site.

benjidog
2nd January 2007, 22:55
Welcome to SN from Lancashire TAD.

We have quite a few sparkies here and coastguards too.

Enjoy the site - we look forward to your postings.

Regards,

Brian

mikeg
2nd January 2007, 22:58
Tad,

Welcome, there are many ex R/O's here. I hope you enjoy the site.

Regards,

Mike

K urgess
3rd January 2007, 00:16
Welcome from another RO.

This is the place to renew your love for the sea and ships and good yarns.

Cheers

gdynia
3rd January 2007, 08:37
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

R58484956
3rd January 2007, 09:35
Welcome Tad from the south of England enjoy what you see. Bon voyage

ernhelenbarrett
3rd January 2007, 10:55
G'day Tad, welcome to the site from another ex R/O, Marconi. AWA and OTc
first ship in 1947 last, before redundancy 1992, enjoyed every minute, even the spell onm the Indian Coast on Palamcotta, Dara,Karanja, Itaura and Orna. If anyone out there has a photograph of the Avistone I would appreciate it, she was my first GTZM ship as Trainee, C/S GBSV, built at Grangemouth
Shipbuilders as the Empire Martaban in 1944, became Avistone in 1951 and sold to Turkey and renamed Turkiye in 1959 then scrapped in Istanbul in 1972
and she is the only vessel I sailed on of which I dont have a photograph . I know other Empires built in the same yard at roughly the same time as Empires Calshot, Fancy, Freetown, Glory and Rosaline became Parkgate Sheaf Mount Redgate Goalpara (BI) and Rosemoor but cant find any info or Photos of Avistone. Any helpers ? Regards Ern Barrett

pat
3rd January 2007, 11:57
Hallo Tad

what free lance ships or companies did you work for

regards

Pat

Tad
4th January 2007, 14:50
Hi Pat - Re your query -
Bulk Carrier "Atara" - HK Reg and gen cargo "Gold Varda" - London Reg(Haverton Shipping) Brit subsiduary of Israeli Zim Line
Gen cargos California Star - Singapore Reg, Napier Star - HK Reg and
Wellington Star - Suva reg all ex Blue Star run by Austasia and Lion Shipping Singapore.
Dutch tankers , Niso, Sponsalis and Cardissa, all Dutch Shell
Gen cargo Author Douglas - I.O.M. Reg DSM Ltd and finally
Italian Bulk Carrier Amelia - Palermo Reg - Grimaldi Shipping, Napoli

Tad
4th January 2007, 15:14
Tad,
Welcome to the site. Any chance of you adding to your profile so that we can see the ships' names and dates that you were on them? To edit your profile click on Quick Links (at the top of the page) and the Edit Profile. You may well find that there are ex-shipmates on here that will respond once they are aware of the ships that you were on with them. Regards

Hi Ron - Just done so, Didn't list all the ships but it'll give a rough idea
Cheers!

Ron Stringer
4th January 2007, 18:38
Thanks for that Tad. You certainly didn't hang around did you? I'm sure that with that shopping list to go on, there should be plenty of people on here that will remember you.