Mine Jammed in Anchor Blades

santapola
27th December 2014, 15:25
Hello everybody, my dad was an electrical engineer on the tankers in the 1960's and 70's. I am searching for information on one particular ship I think it was the Warwickshire but not positive. Anyhow it picked up a German wartime mine on its anchor blades near a Dutch Harbor. If anyone remembers can you let me know the date please I was a young child t the time and my mum's memory is not what is was but I remember it in the newspapers.

Pompeyfan
27th December 2014, 15:39
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard santapola.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

santapola
27th December 2014, 16:22
Thanks i hope so too (Thumb)

MikeGDH
27th December 2014, 19:46
Hello everybody, my dad was an electrical engineer on the tankers in the 1960's and 70's. I am searching for information on one particular ship I think it was the Warwickshire but not positive. Anyhow it picked up a German wartime mine on its anchor blades near a Dutch Harbor. If anyone remembers can you let me know the date please I was a young child t the time and my mum's memory is not what is was but I remember it in the newspapers.

Hi Santapola......I think it was the Esso Winchester, I joined her in 1965 & seem to remember (long time ago), being told about this. Am sure someone else here will have a better memory!
Mike.

santapola
28th December 2014, 10:52
Thanks Mike i hope so, my mum is mixing two events up in her life one of when she gained her steering ticket being the first woman on an oil tanker to do so and the mine story where my dad was on the ship. We are trying to get the dates sorted for her

billyboy
28th December 2014, 11:32
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

santapola
28th December 2014, 11:51
Thanks bilge rat

santapola
28th December 2014, 12:08
Thanks Mike, it was the Winchester. I can only find one news item on it in which I cannot read online it was Dec 1, 1965. Does anyone remember it ? And does anyone remember when my mum took her steering ticket, she was the with my Dad at the time on a trip up the gulf it was a long trip and she was bored so learnt to steer the ship ?

joebuckham
28th December 2014, 16:08
Thanks Mike, it was the Winchester. I can only find one news item on it in which I cannot read online it was Dec 1, 1965. Does anyone remember it ? And does anyone remember when my mum took her steering ticket, she was the with my Dad at the time on a trip up the gulf it was a long trip and she was bored so learnt to steer the ship ?

most passengers on cargo ships put in the necessary steering time and the captain gave them steering ticket as a memento of their voyage

regards joe b

E.Martin
28th December 2014, 16:22

Fouling the mine was a bit of a fluke

beedeesea
28th December 2014, 16:48
Santapola, don't know the date it happened, but newspapers all seem to report the Dutch Navy demolition team freeing mine on November 25th/26th 1965. The port was Flushing.

Brian

santapola
28th December 2014, 18:22
Hi no it was a big thing at the time it was an oil tanker and it was in the papers and on the news at the time but thanks for info

santapola
28th December 2014, 18:24
Thanks Brian that ties in nicely with what I am finding out x