Welcome to new member Cor Laliard

Cor Leliard
8th January 2007, 17:34
Hello to all,
My name is Cor Leliard and I live in Breda (the Netherlands)
I started sailing in 1955 as youngest sailor.Later sailor,and at the end I sailed as navigation off.
I have sailed on cargo ships ,Royal Rotterdam Lloyd KNSM, and others.
I sailed also on tankers (Shell)
Greetings from a rainy Breda Cor

benjidog
8th January 2007, 18:47
Welcome to SN Cor.

I have moved it from the thread you posted it into as it probably would not be spotted there. We try to keep a new thread for each new member.

Enjoy the site and everything on offer.

BTW you are flying a New Zealand flag rather than Netherlands - if that was a mistake you can change it from your profile which can be accessed from the Quick Links menu at the top of each page.

Regards,

Brian

PAULD
8th January 2007, 19:11
welcome, have a nice day

Frank P
8th January 2007, 19:33
Welcome onboard Cor, enjoy the site.

Frank

non descript
8th January 2007, 19:39
Cor, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

thunderd
8th January 2007, 23:04
Good to have you with us Cor, I hope you enjoy the site.

Keith Adams
9th January 2007, 05:27
Cor, first let me say "Welcome!" you mentioned that you came up from Deck Boy to Mate and I am curious to know if during the 1950s and early 1960s if Dutch Mates received any type of certificate or license, and were there specific examinations? In UK we had 2nd Mate Certificate, 1st Mate, Master and Extra Master. Here in the US we have 3rd Mate License, 1st Mate and Captain...what did you guys have? Thankyou, Snowy.

gdynia
9th January 2007, 06:28
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

Jan Hendrik
9th January 2007, 13:48
Hi Cor,

Welkom, we know each other from Kombuispraat and I hope you enjoy SN as much as we all do.
Groeten,
Jan

R58484956
9th January 2007, 14:16
Welcome Cor to the site of SN enjoy the site.

tanker
9th January 2007, 14:34
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

ruud
9th January 2007, 16:28
Cor, first let me say "Welcome!" you mentioned that you came up from Deck Boy to Mate and I am curious to know if during the 1950s and early 1960s if Dutch Mates received any type of certificate or license, and were there specific examinations? In UK we had 2nd Mate Certificate, 1st Mate, Master and Extra Master. Here in the US we have 3rd Mate License, 1st Mate and Captain...what did you guys have? Thankyou, Snowy.

Ahoy Snowy,
As far as I can remember, in coastal services, you could sail as mate with a so called dispensation license, if you hadn't succeed to get your licence,for a certain time; as there were for coastal and deep sea certificates, there were several institutions for coastal/deep sea schooling's,called Hogere Zeevaartschool[Amsterdam,Rotterdam,Vlissingen]for officers & engineers[deepsea GHV] and colleges for Rhine/Inland/Coastal certificates[coastal KHV].But nowadays I believe there are only schools for Maroff's[Maritime Officer],combined Deck officer and Engineers, and a few Technical schools for Engineering.Even there was a trainee vessel/school for youngsters that wanted to go to sea as sailor,called Pollux,and those young man, if they got their license, they were most wanted at Companies.Even cooks,in the early years, had their licences, of course those with a licence were better paid.Also in those years, some got their ticket[paid] from a so called Mickey Mouse country, as was also in the begin 50-60, some got[paid] their driver license in other countries like Egypt, if they couldn't succeed in the Netherlands.
Note:I did had my license as c/cook, so I'm not totally sure of above written, maybe there will be a better explanation.

Gulpers
9th January 2007, 21:44
Cor,

A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Keith Adams
13th January 2007, 04:51
Many thanks for the details... just that I worked with a guy who used the title
Captain and, while I know he had been a Port Captain (Ships Agent) and had
been a Bosun on in Continental/UK trade he could not produced Captain or
Master License to prove his claim to having been Captain of any vessel.Said
Holland does not issue a license for Captain... personally think he was full of it!
Snowy

Bearsie
13th January 2007, 14:18
Welcome to the forum, Cor :)

Last I knew the dutch licensing was as strict as the german,
which had licenses for sailors, mates, captains and engineers based on size, horsepower, and shipping area and type.
The owner of the Marika had to talk his daughter into marrying a captain,
since he was only licensed to operate as a 1st mate on that size ship.
but on his old ship he was the captain (A3 = captain to 399 grt, mate to 499 grt)
The bigest difference was that the dutch allowed glasses for deck personnel, the germans didn't.
But the dutch insisted on more engineers... with real licenses of course.

Keith Adams
19th January 2007, 01:07
I guessed so... still riding on the Ships Agent title of Port Captain but without
the Port prefix. When in the Ocean Marine insurance game in Chicago a survey
report came across my desk signed Captain ------- , I was duly impressed until
I read the report on a major dry cargo ship heavy weather incident and found later the guy was Captain of the Fireboat and had never been outside the breakwater! Snowy