Hello from New York

NY1917
5th January 2015, 15:46
Hello all! No experience of ships at sea myself, but I am here to look for information about ships my grandfather was on over the years when he was a young man. I will go look for the right areas to post specific questions, but some of the things I am looking for relate to the Ditton/Nordfarer/BragdoBuilt for R. W. Leyland and Co. by T.R. Oswald, Moran tugs in NY in the 1930's, specifically barges on the run to Buffalo and back, and the State of Virginia, a former ferryboat converted for use in the War that served in the Caribbean in the early 40's.

I'm particularly interested in finding out how similar the Wavertree, docked at South Street Seaport, might be to the Ditton/etc.

Always happy to share whatever knowledge I have, however little that is.

fred henderson
5th January 2015, 16:16
A warm welcome to SN. I hope that you will fully enjoy the benefits of your membership by joining in the discussions on any topic that you find to be of interest to you.

cueball44
5th January 2015, 17:50
Hello all! No experience of ships at sea myself, but I am here to look for information about ships my grandfather was on over the years when he was a young man. I will go look for the right areas to post specific questions, but some of the things I am looking for relate to the Ditton/Nordfarer/BragdoBuilt for R. W. Leyland and Co. by T.R. Oswald, Moran tugs in NY in the 1930's, specifically barges on the run to Buffalo and back, and the State of Virginia, a former ferryboat converted for use in the War that served in the Caribbean in the early 40's.

I'm particularly interested in finding out how similar the Wavertree, docked at South Street Seaport, might be to the Ditton/etc.

Always happy to share whatever knowledge I have, however little that is.You will find several images of "DITTON" in the gallery. Ditton (Bragdo) was lost 1/11/1921. Her sister ship Speke was lost 22/2/1906.

NY1917
5th January 2015, 21:58
You will find several images of "DITTON" in the gallery. Ditton (Bragdo) was lost 1/11/1921. Her sister ship Speke was lost 22/2/1906.

Thank you! I knew approximately when she was lost, but did not have a specific date. I did not know her sister ship was lost earlier.

Off to look at the pictures now!

billyboy
5th January 2015, 22:09
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
6th January 2015, 09:45
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
6th January 2015, 14:54
Greetings NY1917 and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.