Anybody left from Denholms

Old Janner
15th January 2015, 10:03
Have just looked at latest posting in J & J Denholms, looks like most of the crews have died off.
No new posts, last ones are minutely spread over latter part of 2014.

Come on lads where are all you Denholm Cavalliers.

OJ

Varley
15th January 2015, 12:27
Much of this body is left. Not sure about the mind 'though.

Ian Brown
15th January 2015, 17:44
Your right. Time to start a new thread subject for Denholms.
I will go for best ship bar.

John Cassels
15th January 2015, 21:29
Still here.

Diesel Dan
15th January 2015, 22:06
Likewise

AlbieR
15th January 2015, 22:21
Still here too. Wellpark, Dunadd, Dunkyle all sixties ore carriers.
AlbieR

randcmackenzie
15th January 2015, 23:28
Count me in - Roddie MacKenzie.

Gulpers
16th January 2015, 00:13
Et moi (Thumb)

Bigmo
16th January 2015, 09:49
Still a Paddy around.

Harry Grainger
16th January 2015, 10:35
Or two

Varley
16th January 2015, 11:45
Hi, Harry. Still waiting for your trip over here. Got the boat fixed?

r b quiery
16th January 2015, 22:35
or three

Neil McInnes
16th January 2015, 22:47
Neil McInnes Dealmouth 64

r b quiery
16th January 2015, 23:09
started my time on the crinan gorden daly was cadet captain roddie mckenkie was senior apprentice my cabin mate was tom workman his brother in law was jim nicoll mate was campbell kerr nice guy. master was buckley instructer was malcom something was anyone on this intake with me 1962 i think

John Cassels
17th January 2015, 09:59
started my time on the crinan gorden daly was cadet captain roddie mckenkie was senior apprentice my cabin mate was tom workman his brother in law was jim nicoll mate was campbell kerr nice guy. master was buckley instructer was malcom something was anyone on this intake with me 1962 i think

Malcom Thompson ?.

Stephen J. Card
3rd March 2015, 22:48
Malcom Thompson ?.

Malcolm Thompson. Fine gentleman. He put me for promotion to Mate in Loch Lomond. Most definitely an important set up the
ladder!

Bert Buckley.... first master Loch Lomond. Another gentleman... and with George Christodoulou as ChEng. Then BobbyTodd as 2/E.... Roger Mackrell and John Corrin. Could have not sailed with finer people.

Spence.... yes mate.... we are still there!

randcmackenzie
3rd March 2015, 23:50
Malcom Thompson ?.

Hello Folks.

He has been in hospital for about a fortnight but is now back home, so I understand.

Not doing too well this last while.

One of his daughters is married to a fellow whose mother lives in the next village, so I get updates from time to time.

I'm sure we all wish him well.

Best Regards,

Roddie.

John Cassels
4th March 2015, 09:14
Roddie , if you get the chance please pass on my best wishes to him. Not only sailed with him a few times but also when I was with Cast and he did a few trips on the Cast Muskox.

vinvictor
9th March 2015, 21:34
Have just looked at latest posting in J & J Denholms, looks like most of the crews have died off.

OJ

Sailed on the old MV Wellpark 1965 and other ore carriers, (Thumb)

muldonaich
9th March 2015, 23:27
Sorry you got it wrong john he was old man on the cast husky and a bloody good one also a gentleman hope he is back on his feet soon kevin.

Bill Cooper
10th March 2015, 12:29

OJ

I was on the Morar for a couple of trips,Narvik and down the Med.Main engine gassifiers complete failure at least once a voyage.
(Thumb)

David Campbell
12th March 2015, 06:15
Old Janner.

Naess Pioneer. 2/E 07.02.1962 to 09.04.1962
Dunadd C/E 25.05.1962 to 15.08.1962
Naess Clansman C/E 02.10.1962 to 20.02.1964
Clarkforth C/E 29.04.1964 to 19.08.1964
Naess Clipper C/E 11.09.1964 to 25.11.1964
Iron Clipper C/E 26.11.1964 to 04.04 1970

John Cassels
14th March 2015, 21:39
Sorry you got it wrong john he was old man on the cast husky and a bloody good one also a gentleman hope he is back on his feet soon kevin.

I stand corrected Kevin.
Just back from 8 days in the promised land but didn't get further than Gourock !,

RobinM
15th March 2015, 23:52
I have just found this site looking for a photo of the CRINAN. I did not last long with Denholm although enjoyed the three years. I was of the July 62 intake to Crinan and can remember only a few of the others. John D Smith was my cabin mate and I met him a couple of years ago at his home in Lower Barvas on Lewis. There were Hugo McLellan, Donald Macdonald (who was also with me on the Naess Pride for 14 months) Stuart Mackay and my memory gives in. My last trip was in the Duncraig.

von zippa
23rd March 2015, 16:59
sailed on tankers in the 70s
naess soveriegn ,champion, siam ,bangkok. nordic clansman, stonehaven, burmah jet, zircon

Angus Murray
24th March 2015, 14:32
I have just found this site looking for a photo of the CRINAN. I did not last long with Denholm although enjoyed the three years. I was of the July 62 intake to Crinan and can remember only a few of the others. John D Smith was my cabin mate and I met him a couple of years ago at his home in Lower Barvas on Lewis. There were Hugo McLellan, Donald Macdonald (who was also with me on the Naess Pride for 14 months) Stuart Mackay and my memory gives in. My last trip was in the Duncraig.

Robin
John D now retired and still living in Barvas. After Denholms he spent some time as mate with CALMAC followed by many years in oil related work, mostly as OIM on jack -up rigs world wide. This was followed by a short period with HM Coastguard before he retired on health grounds. Made a good recovery and I see him occasionally. Sailed with him on the Naess Endeavour. One of the best!
If it is the same Donald Macdonald that I recall (father was a gamekeeper on some large estates) he passed away many years ago at a relatively young age. Maybe somebody can verify that this is one and the same person.
Stuart Mackay spent many years as Master on AHTS vessels with Ocean Inchcape and stayed with them until he retired. I sailed with his brother Ian on the Avon Bridge and Naess Viking.

RobinM
24th March 2015, 21:54
Thank you Angus. It certainly sounds like the same Donald MacDonald (Gamey was his nickname for his fellow Stornoway entry). I remember him going to an estate at Stac Polaidh from Naess Pride where his Dad was gamekeeper.

I was pleased to stay with my wife, overnight, with John D in Lower Barvas a few years ago. Solid hospitality from a chap I'd not seen for 45 years.

Stuart Mackay was remembered by us both as being squeezed through the after hatch on Crinan to raid the galley stores - cadets got hungry!

IAINT
24th March 2015, 22:16
Hi,

Sailed on the 'Dunkyle' as junior R/O from 9/12/64 till 19/03/65 - trip
to Bone in Algeria and then down to Port Elizabeth in SA - sailed on
'Inverewe' as R/O from 04/01/68 till 11/11/68 mostly America to
Europe.

Regards
Iain T

24th March 2015, 22:48

OJ

I have had this problem with a couple of "old time" sites recently. Unfortunately the kids have all gone to Facebook. We are all old hat, yesterday's guys. We may have set up the Internet but don't expect any loyalty from the new kids on the block. My bets are on the blog for the long term, Facebook has already got wrinklies onboard causing the kids to go elsewhere. I reckon a steady hand on the helm with what we have got. Some whizkid will rediscover the net and a linking App just like the Red Indians and the Aborigines were always there.

Varley
25th March 2015, 02:35
I object strongly. I only look as if I have died-off!

willie mac quarrie
28th March 2015, 00:04
Charging! Everyone stand clear!

RayL
28th March 2015, 01:17
I was the Marconi sparks aboard Naess Sovereign for 8 mths Sep '65 to Jun '66. My first voyage so I was 2nd R/O (joined her at Europoort). George Mayne was the captain. We dry-docked in Marseilles and called at Fawley, Milford Haven, Marsa el Brega, Banias in the early period. Later the Gulf and did several runs to Melbourne. Flew home from Saudi.

muldonaich
28th March 2015, 11:24
Gold finger mayne good old man kev.

RayL
31st March 2015, 22:24
Gold finger mayne good old man kev.

I never heard him called that. Have you any idea how he came by that nickname Kevin? As you say, he was a good'un. I was lucky to sail with him.

muldonaich
1st April 2015, 00:09
It's a long story brgdskev

dowling
25th May 2015, 22:08
Archie Dowling(Electrician) still going but only just,and myself Graham Dowling (GP1).

georgebrian
27th May 2015, 10:38
Brian Routledge still around. with Denholms 1958-1965

Sailed- Ormsary, Gleddoch, Naess Clansman,Morar,Morven, Clarkavon,Craigallian,Dunadd.

Any of my old shipmates still around? I am now 77

rod holroyd
23rd June 2015, 13:51
(Smoke)rod holroyd still up and kicking july 63 crinan intake

John Cassels
23rd June 2015, 20:29
(Smoke)rod holroyd still up and kicking july 63 crinan intake

Hey Holroyd , how come you never answer any of my PM's ?.

George Porteous
19th July 2015, 21:10
Just found this site recently and found a lot of the input very interesting. After Pre Sea at Leith Nautical I joined Denholms as a deck cadet in August 1963 on the ore carrier Ormsary, Capt. George McIntosh, senior cadet John Norrie(his last trip I think before 2nd Mates!). Port Talbot to Bone, Algeria. For someone who had never left these shores it sounded romantic and adventurous!

George Porteous
20th July 2015, 16:41
Just found site. Yes there are some of us still around. Joined Denholms as a deck cadet 1963.
George Portepus

Seaspread
28th January 2016, 21:44
Count me in,from down the glen came the denholm men,i know of one more too stephan J de sieva lives in capetown now, I was chief cook on the following-troll Lake 76-77
euroliner 77
Troll park 77-78
Vancouver trader 78
Loch Maree78-79
Nordic louisiana 79
Scotstoun 80
Nordic Sky [lay up Gothenburg]
cast Puffin 80-81
cast Tern 81
stena seaspread 82[falklands got in the way]
Troll lake 82
Lakespan Ontario 82[run job from Ontario to Glasgow]
Tor Caledonia 83[Falklands]84
Gothic Wasa84[nee tor caledonia]85.

Varley
28th January 2016, 23:45
Thanks Seaspread, I was going to ask why the monica ' Seaspread' you must have been fond of her (I have to say not quite as well kept as the BaR Protector - fully managed so I would say that wouldn't I).

muldonaich
28th January 2016, 23:49
Plenty of us denholms men still a around old manner have to check my book see if I sailed with you was on a lot of ships you were on brgds kev.

Seaspread
29th January 2016, 00:10
Thanks lads

Seaspread
29th January 2016, 00:14
I say Varley old man thats a nice full set, yup i was sea from Jauary61 till i and 499 others where kicked out by the union for taking a redun package from cunard, nice of them was it not.That was in 87.

Varley
29th January 2016, 11:42
I'll take that as a compliment but it used to be a little less grey.

WilliamM
29th January 2016, 14:24
Hi there, just posted 4 photos in the Gallery of the Cast Heron from my first trip as Engine Cadet; January - June 1981.
Being an impoverished Cadet with a terrible camera, the photos are none too clear. I can confirm however that Captain Mackenzie and Chief Engineer Munro can be seen in the photo of the lightering operation.
I have vague memories of this and unsure of the exact location. The lightering took place either outside of the Persian/Arabian Gulf or in the Med.
Incidentally, I still well remember that Denholms did not pay us Cadets any bonus for going up to Khark Island!

Varley
29th January 2016, 19:36
Bonus, boy? Bonus! Were you not fed? Did you not have time off to study? Were you not kept from the evils of strong drink and loose women?

If you think you were hard done by I'll have to tell you how hard a Superintendent has to whinge before he gets double bubble for being sent up there when the natives were being just as unfriendly.

WilliamM
29th January 2016, 20:15
Women were in short supply but not the drink unfortunately. Being on watch with the 4th often meant 12 - 4 (am) in the bar - you're not going to leave me on my own are you? Then Jed Reed would appear at 4, became 5 and then 6..........
every fibre of my being crying out for bed!.......

Varley
30th January 2016, 01:58
A likely story. It obviously did you no lasting harm.

WilliamM
30th January 2016, 16:17
Ah, they were good days.......if only I had appreciated that more back then!

WilliamH
30th January 2016, 16:55
I'm still around, though maybe a little rounder than I was when sailing in Denholms. I was on Chelsea Bridge (on loan from Silver Line) then Chemical Venturer, Glenpark, and Connon Forest, which was my last ship before coming ashore in 1977

R904444
1st February 2016, 20:54
Hi I sailed with Jed Reed on the Burmah Peridot in1976 - he was a great party turn after a few with his old east end ballads! Was also on the Heron June - October when she was renamed Helm after Cast went bust.

John Cassels
2nd February 2016, 09:32
Cast did not go "bust " but sold the lossmaking bulk ships and continued with the container fleet.

muldonaich
2nd February 2016, 10:43
Has cast packed it in all together now johnbrgds kevin

Varley
2nd February 2016, 10:44
If it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck...........

John Cassels
2nd February 2016, 20:14
Has cast packed it in all together now johnbrgds kevin

Yes Kevin ( bye the bye what happened to Muldon....... ?), long time ago. 2000 more or less taken over by Canmar then in 2003 , the whole caboedle sold to HL.

R904444
3rd February 2016, 20:17
Hi I sailed with Jed Reed on the Burmah Peridot in1976 - he was a great party turn after a few with his old east end ballads! Was also on the Heron June - October when she was renamed Helm after Cast went bust.

Cast Heron should have been June - October 1983. We were kept in the dark on board at this time off Gibraltar - went in for bunkers for a few hours so John is correct but that was the rumour at the time.

Tensing Ng (Robert)
3rd February 2016, 21:42

OJ
My first ship was MV Crinan

rod holroyd
21st February 2016, 14:28
Hi Still alive
Rod Holroyd Crinan 1963
JOHN GATHERER, JOHN CASSELS, FRANK BROWN, BRYCE BROWN, RODDIE MACSWEEN, GUY BROWNLEE, ALEX CATHRO, NEIL WICKENS, JOHN JACKSON,HAMISH MCKAY,
ANY PHOTO OF US ALL TOGETHER
MAYBE FORGOT SOME NAMES
ROD

Gulpers
21st February 2016, 15:00
Hi Still alive
Rod Holroyd Crinan 1963
JOHN GATHERER, JOHN CASSELS, FRANK BROWN, BRYCE BROWN, RODDIE MACSWEEN, GUY BROWNLEE, ALEX CATHRO, NEIL WICKENS, JOHN JACKSON,HAMISH MCKAY,
ANY PHOTO OF US ALL TOGETHER
MAYBE FORGOT SOME NAMES
ROD

Hi Rod,

Keep your eyes peeled!
John Cassels has been trying to get in contact with you for ages and he will undoubtedly be in touch once he sees your post. (Thumb)

muldonaich
21st February 2016, 17:31
John gatherer is no longer with us sorry to say brgds Kevin.

muldonaich
21st February 2016, 17:33
Hi Rod,

Keep your eyes peeled!
John Cassels has been trying to get in contact with you for ages and he will undoubtedly be in touch once he sees your post. (Thumb)hi john rod says you are looking for me brgds kev.

John Cassels
23rd February 2016, 07:40
Hi Rod,

Keep your eyes peeled!
John Cassels has been trying to get in contact with you for ages and he will undoubtedly be in touch once he sees your post. (Thumb)

Thanks Ray , we now in email contact - a 53 year old blast from the past !.

Gulpers
23rd February 2016, 10:42
Thanks Ray , we now in email contact - a 53 year old blast from the past !.

Excellent - did you get that fiver back that he owed you? (Jester)

John Cassels
24th February 2016, 10:11
Excellent - did you get that fiver back that he owed you? (Jester)

He just reminded me we were cabin mates on the Crinan in 1963 , that must be worth at least a fiver !.

Gulpers
24th February 2016, 10:42
He just reminded me we were cabin mates on the Crinan in 1963 , that must be worth at least a fiver !.

Unquestionably! (Thumb)

Iain Lourie
25th February 2016, 07:39
[QUOTE= BRYCE BROWN[/QUOTE]

Name rings a bell................
Was he 3rd Mate on the Gallic Bridge say 1969-ish?
Bryce spent some time as a truck driver too, if its the same guy.

If it is, Bryce (3/O), Jimmy Fielding (4/E ex Gourock), Graham McQueen (Deck App, ex Oban) and me (Deck App, AKA Ted, Percy, Percy Squacker, ex Edinburgh) paid off in Port Talbot and Bryce / Jimmy rented a Triumph 2.5 to travel home to Scotland in.
We blew two tires, chunks of rubber flying off the tyres doing 120mph on Motorway going north.... Had to get AA out on motorway to replace a tyre.

Hmmm....long time ago.....................

shunters
1st April 2016, 17:34
hi,
just been reading through some of the posts, I was with Denholms for roughly 1972 to 1982. started as an eng cadet at GCNS.

I recognise a lot of the names, sailed with Stewart Mckay in OIL , Oil Chieftain and Oil Mariner for a few years.

We also took over the Lock Carron which was Denholms step into the supply boat buisiness if I remember correctly, I carried out an inspection on her and from memory most of the Crew were ex denholms deep sea and I new quite a few of them.

Diesel Dan
4th April 2016, 23:32
I remember when you came and carried out your inspection at Peterhead. 1988 I think.

muldonaich
5th April 2016, 00:19
Still plenty of us around yet brgds kev.

FYRB
10th April 2016, 14:18
Well, no some of us are still around. Have just been to visit the Welland Canal first transit was October 1968 when we bent the prop!!
Served as INC on the Dunkyle '67, Inverewe '68, Fidentai and finally Spey Bridge maiden voyage.

Gulpers
10th April 2016, 20:01
FYRB,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
I see you have been a member for a couple of months and I hope you are thoroughly enjoying the SN experience.
Now that you've taken the plunge, keep posting. (Thumb)

Alan Reid
17th April 2016, 09:55
Gents,

Greeting from Alan Reid in Hong Kong.

Just found the site yesterday and found a lot of memories.

Did not find the old Denholm expression of, "One egg, per man, per day, perhaps", though.

All the best

Alan

Varley
17th April 2016, 11:20
That's one I don't remember. Whether that is down to my ears as was or my memory as isn't, I can't say.

donaldmurray88
30th April 2016, 15:01
hi DAN, YES STILL IN BAKERS ROAD 20 YEARS THIS JULY GOOD PLACE JUST 2 MILES FROM TOWN,AND A GREAT VIEW OVER THE HARBOUR / AIRPORT AND ACROSS THE MINCH WATCHING THE SHIPS GO UP AND DOWN, AND GLAD I AM NOT ON ANY OF THEM. I GET ALL THE NAMES
AND INFO ON A I S, WHERE ARE YOU STAYING

donaldmurray88
30th April 2016, 16:27
Hi Bill, I Was On The Morar In 1965 Joined In Middlesbourgh Drydock Sailed For Seven Islands But Never Made It, With A Prayer Or Two From Capt.wildish We Managed To Get Round Cape Wrath Blacked Out Off Stornoway Went Alongside For The Night Orders Came In The Morning Try And Get To Greenock Arriving There 4 Days Later With The Help Of A Tug Capt Wildish Must Have Got His Answer. 10 Days Later We Left But Not For Canada But To Narvik She Was Sold To The Germans Some Time Later Gone But Not Forgotten At Least We Survived; Renamed Clari

muldonaich
30th April 2016, 16:40
I sailed with a couple of Donald murrays from say one from Tolsta did I sail with you brgds kev.

steamship
10th May 2016, 20:22
Gents,

Greeting from Alan Reid in Hong Kong.

Just found the site yesterday and found a lot of memories.

Did not find the old Denholm expression of, "One egg, per man, per day, perhaps", though.

All the best

Alan
Hi Alan,
Glad to hear from you. Last time I saw you you were sailing to Hong Kong from Singapore with Carol. There is a Denholms guy who seems to have some sort of trading business in Bermuda who is looking for you.
Steamship.

Alan Reid
25th May 2016, 14:07
Hi Steamship. Thanks.

That would be Steve Card. We shared a flat together when at GCNS. He was third mate with money and we others were apprentices with none.

We used to watch him eat a steak and drink Blue Nun if I remember right. We had had mince and tatties.

Sailed with him when he was mate on the Loch Lomand with Colin Parker the third mate.

All the best,

Alan

steamship
25th May 2016, 17:47
Hi Steamship. Thanks.

That would be Steve Card. We shared a flat together when at GCNS. He was third mate with money and we others were apprentices with none.

We used to watch him eat a steak and drink Blue Nun if I remember right. We had had mince and tatties.

Sailed with him when he was mate on the Loch Lomand with Colin Parker the third mate.

All the best,

Alan

Hi Alan,
Somebody, maybe Steve, posted a photo of you and I recognized you immediately. I always wondered what happened to you guys. I thought maybe you had gone to New Zealand. How are the twins doing? I wish I had known you stayed in HK. I went there a lot in the late 90's early 00's. Drank a lot of beer in the Irish pub.
Brgds. Stewart.

Archie Buntain
25th April 2017, 12:24
New member. Ormsary; Clarkforth;Clarkavon;Dealmoouth;Naess Louisiana; Naess Favorita; Mountpark; Naess Trader; Duncraig. All in the 1960s as Apprentice/Navigating Officer.

Angus Murray
27th April 2017, 17:08
New member. Ormsary; Clarkforth;Clarkavon;Dealmoouth;Naess Louisiana; Naess Favorita; Mountpark; Naess Trader; Duncraig. All in the 1960s as Apprentice/Navigating Officer.
Good to hear from you Archie - sailed with you on the Mountpark. I have sent you a PM.

BrianBT
5th May 2017, 11:18
Sam Mckillop is due to retire, does anybody remember him from his denholm days

He joined as cadet 1974 and left in 84

He sailed on
Vancouver Island
Stirling Bridge
Nordic Patriot
Scotstourn
Cast Puffin
Nordic Louisiana

FrankGil
5th May 2017, 12:58
Still around,
Started on the Vancouver Forest 1974, Finished on the HMP Weare
prison ship in Weymouth 1999.

adm
22nd August 2017, 15:04
Still around
Started 1974, Erskine Bridge
Muirfield
Nordic Texas
Nordic Louisiana
Long Long
Silver Bridge
Advara
Asiafreighter
Eurofreighter
Chemical Venturer
Vancouver Forest
Loch Lomond
Left 1982, Still at sea.

John Cassels
22nd August 2017, 20:08
Sailed on a few of your list . Was on the Erskine Bridge 1973-1974 left In Japan same time as Miss Bradshaw joined as RO.

adm
23rd August 2017, 09:21
I joining at the end of Aug 74, in Baker, Now Croatia,
Paid off Feb 1975 in Ijmuiden
J.J Rose and D.Dickson were the Old Men. We did have a female R.O on board

RLD
10th November 2017, 10:00
There is at least one Denholms man left! I joined Burmah Garnet in 1976 and left Denholms in 1989. I'm afraid the mind's not as active as it was and I've forgotten many of the people I sailed with. Any Denholms OBO men left?

Diesel Dan
11th November 2017, 22:42
Yes, another one. Eden Bridge, Norvegia Team, Cast Gannet, Cast Fulmar.

LTS
12th November 2017, 12:57
I only sailed on four - Nordic Clipper (Naess Viking), Nordic Sky, Britannia Team and Sir Alexander Glen.

Varley
12th November 2017, 13:07
To earlier post RLD, I can add that Diesel Dan's time on Norvegia was enhanced by the presence of yours truly! (Bad luck WRT Cast Fulmar Hamish, but I found her fun).

RLD
12th November 2017, 14:24
I was Mate on the Eden Bridge in 1979. Those were the days!

vickentallen
12th November 2017, 15:24
Sailed Lecky on the Morven 64/5. SA / Japan. Steep learning curve after RN,

David Campbell
13th November 2017, 01:26
Old Janner.

Naess Pioneer. 2/E 07.02.1962 to 09.04.1962
Dunadd C/E 25.05.1962 to 15.08.1962
Naess Clansman C/E 02.10.1962 to 20.02.1964
Clarkforth C/E 29.04.1964 to 19.08.1964
Naess Clipper C/E 11.09.1964 to 25.11.1964
Iron Clipper C/E 26.11.1964 to 04.04 1970

Just met again a Junior Engineer that I sailed with on the "Clipper" in 1967 at the BHP Shipping 100th Reunion in Newcastle, NSW and the 2nd and 3rd Officers who joined in Kobe, Japan November 1964, when BHP Bare Boat chartered her.

John Cassels
13th November 2017, 10:29
Just met again a Junior Engineer that I sailed with on the "Clipper" in 1967 at the BHP Shipping 100th Reunion in Newcastle, NSW and the 2nd and 3rd Officers who joined in Kobe, Japan November 1964, when BHP Bare Boat chartered her.

Meet anyone from the old " Cavalier " David ?.

R904444
13th November 2017, 20:05
There is at least one Denholms man left! I joined Burmah Garnet in 1976 and left Denholms in 1989. I'm afraid the mind's not as active as it was and I've forgotten many of the people I sailed with. Any Denholms OBO men left?

Hi I sailed on the following Denholm's OBOs:

MV Suecia Team 07/11/79 to 08/03/80
MV Gothia Team 06/02/81 to 01/06/81
MV London Team 15/12/81 to 12/04/82
MV Cast Kittiwake 21/07/82 to 25/11/82
MV Cast Heron (Helm) 19/06/83 to 22/10/83

I also did two days assisting on the Cast Fulmar at Hunterston late May/Early June 1983.

Andy McArthur

David Campbell
13th November 2017, 22:53
Meet anyone from the old " Cavalier " David ?.

John. Good to hear from you again. It is 53 years since I left Denholms and I have never met anyone in all that time.

I have an interesting article about the "Naess Sisters", written by the BHP Shipping Marine Superintendent, Newcastle, Capt. i.G. Steverson, now retired, which I will send to you, if I can.

Thanks again for the snippets from Denholm News about the Clipper and Clarkforth that you sent me quite a time ago. David

David Scott
17th November 2017, 08:55
Left to right......
John Lilburn, Ian Buchanan, Roddy McLean, David Scott, Malcolm Glaister, Adrian Goodwin and Roger Duke.
Good afternoons chat, Thai meal.....

RLD
20th November 2017, 10:13
I was in Denholms from1976 to 1989. Burmah Garnet, Nordic Louisiana, Industria, London Team, Burmah Pearl, Eden Bridge, Cast Petrel, Arctic Troll, Cast Osprey, Cast Cormorant, Cast Narwhal, Scandia Team, Helm, Bise, Pacific Express, Canada's Tomorrow, Taifung, Inci-S (ex-Helm), African Dahlia, African Begonia, Cartagena.

Erimus
20th November 2017, 11:15
RLD...you had all the 'posh' ones then!
No Dunadd,Dunkyle,Duncraig,Sir Andrew Duncan, Wellpark,Gleddoch, Crinan, Craigallian,Arisaig,Morar,Naess Trader,Clarkeden, Clarkavon ,Ormsary,then later Dunblane.
For those not in the know,all ore carriers.

John Cassels
20th November 2017, 19:38
RLD...you had all the 'posh' ones then!
No Dunadd,Dunkyle,Duncraig,Sir Andrew Duncan, Wellpark,Gleddoch, Crinan, Craigallian,Arisaig,Morar,Naess Trader,Clarkeden, Clarkavon ,Ormsary,then later Dunblane.
For those not in the know,all ore carriers.

Not if he only came in in 1976 Geoff 1.

Erimus
20th November 2017, 20:07
JC...well some,not all,were still around...as I was until I left London in 1976 too!

geoff

John Cassels
21st November 2017, 09:32
My last one was the Craigallian in 1974 and I always thought she was one of the
last of the breed,

RLD
21st November 2017, 10:52
They weren't all that posh, especially the Helm. At one stage I threatened to walk off her because the tank valves were is such a mess. When she became Inci-S, the Turks took over, and they couldn't manage her so requested Denholms to sent a couple of us to show them the ropes. I think she was scrapped soon after that.

Erimus
21st November 2017, 11:01
My last one was the Craigallian in 1974 and I always thought she was one of the
last of the breed,

Could be...it's a long time ago now John......I never had in mind exactly when these timecharters ceased.

geoff

Iain Lourie
22nd November 2017, 22:48

OJ

Still breathing and above ground. Just been really busy :)

Varley
23rd November 2017, 01:46
Well, most of me probably has died off (A good friend tells me to get a life and does so as if that were a possibility!). The liver, surprisingly, remains only slightly 'off par', unlike the knees.

Samsette
23rd November 2017, 05:32
Well, most of me probably has died off (A good friend tells me to get a life and does so as if that were a possibility!). The liver, surprisingly, remains only slightly 'off par', unlike the knees.

"Getting old ain't for cissies." Bette Davis, actress.

Steve Dawson
23rd November 2017, 19:44
Probably a more recent ex Denholm Engineer Cadet from '74
sailed on Nordic Texas , Eden Bridge, Nordic Louisiana, Troll River, Dalma (must have done something wrong to get that one!) Cast Gull, Cast Heron, Eden Bridge before she became one of the previous Cast boats, Sir Alexander Glen, Tor Caledonia (with Denholm Maclay),
memory not as it used to be so there may be one or two more ships. Lost all the discharge books in a house move and two motorcycle incidents upset the mental filing system which never quite recovered fully !!!!
Was later a Supt and Fleet Manager with DSM before they changed to Anglo Eastern but a whole different fleet from the earlier days - which seemed to have been a lot simpler and less stressful.
Many of the names I recognise and could possibly have sailed with. Notorious Masters like Rodney Megran and J.G. Ridley I have not forgotten!
Just had notification I can now draw down on my J&J Pension.
Happy days!!!!

r b quiery
23rd November 2017, 21:55
I sailed.with RodneyMegran in 1964 when he was mate on the naess champion Bob woods was the outher apprentice Rodneysbig thing was apprentices had to overhaul the p/v valves.

John Cassels
24th November 2017, 09:46
First time I met Rodney was when he relieved Mike Feltham as mate on the
Naess Talisman 1968 in Lower Buchanan where we all left !.

Ian Lawson
24th November 2017, 10:32
Mike Feltham was one of life's true gentlemen. A well experienced Mate.

Varley
25th November 2017, 12:25
GM Steve. Welcome onboard.

Stephen J. Card
25th November 2017, 14:06
Rodney 100% or Rodney Migraine

I sailed with him Avon Bridge in 1972/73. Disappeared off the crew lists in a few years later. Must have gone to green pastures... or swamp.

'Migraine'

The main symptom of a migraine is usually an intense headache that occurs at the front or on one side of the head.

Stephen J. Card
25th November 2017, 14:29
Remember Angus Smart? Master in NAESS PIONEER 1970, my first ship.

The story was that some years earlier J&J ran add in the papers...

"J & J Denholm are looking for a smart Chief Officer for their new bulker."

Along comes a fellow and replies to Head Office....

"I think I am the right person for your new ship. I am, A. Smart, Chief Officer!"

He got the job.

As they said on the PIONEER....

A. Smart, Chief Officer.
A. Smart, Captain.
A. Smart, Basta*d!!!!!!!

I don't remember him as a B'stard. I do remember getting a clip around the ear a few times. One night departing Rio, he sent me aft to his cabin to get the sandwiches from his quarters. Went down aft from the midships bridge via the 'tunnel'. On the way back I took a half of the 'piece', rearranged so that he would not notice. Back to the wing as lookout. He came right behind me and gave me a clip round the ear and said nothing.

Two other Masters in the PIONEER, Ian Wildish, RR Kinder. Fine gentlemen.

John Cassels
25th November 2017, 20:18
Angus Smart was another of life's gentlemen . Sailed with him a few times , One of them being Clarkeden but can't remember the others.

Stephen J. Card
26th November 2017, 00:35
Apart from the 'Capt 100%', the rest were all gentlemen.

Naess Pioneer: Ian Wildish RR Kinder, Angus Smart
Warwick Fort: R.L. Richards
Scotspark: Fred Hutchings, E. Watson, Ian Wildish
Euroliner: R. Sharpe
Avon Bridge: R. Megran, Peter Shawyer
Nordic Clansman: Marcus Gunn, John Rhodes
Sevonia Team: Derek Fuller
Loch Lomond: Bert Buckly, Wm Stockly, JFT Houghton, Malcolm Thompson, David Perry
Glenpark: J. MacLeod
Loch Maree: I.C. Grahame, C.W. Harvey, C.P. White,
John Corrin
Wellpark: Geo Anderson

Steve Dawson
29th November 2017, 13:31
GM Mr Varley.
I hope life is treating you well.
Just a couple of more names come to mind of characters from time at sea with J&J.
A chief engineer - affectionately known as "Bald Eagle" met him on the N. Texas full name unknown.
Second Engineers Helmut Fricke and "Rover" but can not recall his real name either.
Sparky Dallas Bradshaw.

Not too good with names but remember some of the faces - one of the problems of getting older I guess

John Cassels
2nd December 2017, 10:35
The "bald eagle ", also can't remember the name but remember he was east coast around Fife. He and I did a 6 week handover job on the Atholl Forest .1978 or so when she was sold to the Greeks.
"Rover " first name Cedric a most unlikely name for rough and tumble Rover. Saile a couple of times with him , last time was Nordic Crusader down at Ardjuna.

LTS
2nd December 2017, 14:31
Hi John.
The chief that took the handover of the Atholl Forest at Middlesborough was Dave Bisset. I also sailed with him on the Loch Maree.

Stephen J. Card
2nd December 2017, 15:33
A good story known board Maree or Lomond... alongside at Fort de France, Martinque. Princess cruise ship in the berth astern of us. Princess passengers walking along the quay, admiring the large white reefer. Hot sunny morning after smoko. Davis Bisset walks out the boat deck wearing nothing than a winter blue duffle coat. Bisset gave his own 'flash and show' for the Princess passengers!

Stephen

John Cassels
2nd December 2017, 19:57
Hi John.
The chief that took the handover of the Atholl Forest at Middlesborough was Dave Bisset. I also sailed with him on the Loch Maree.

I left the Atholl forest in Middlesborough and came back 6 weeks later
for the handover which was in Yokohama. But you're right , it was Dave Bisset.

Supercargo
2nd December 2017, 22:36
A good story known board Maree or Lomond... alongside at Fort de France, Martinque. Princess cruise ship in the berth astern of us. Princess passengers walking along the quay, admiring the large white reefer. Hot sunny morning after smoko. Davis Bisset walks out the boat deck wearing nothing than a winter blue duffle coat. Bisset gave his own 'flash and show' for the Princess passengers!

Stephen

I've always remembered it as a Glasgow policeman's mac - but then he could have made a habit of flashing with whatever long coat was to hand, whenever innocent passengers passed.

Bill

Dougie01
3rd December 2017, 21:11
The "bald eagle ", also can't remember the name but remember he was east coast around Fife. He and I did a 6 week handover job on the Atholl Forest .1978 or so when she was sold to the Greeks.
"Rover " first name Cedric a most unlikely name for rough and tumble Rover. Saile a couple of times with him , last time was Nordic Crusader down at Ardjuna.

Roverís name was Cedric T Goodings, he was ex Blue Funnel. I sailed with him on the Scotspark in 1971 when he was 4th Engineer and I was Junior. Great guy.

Stephen J. Card
4th December 2017, 00:39
Roverís name was Cedric T Goodings, he was ex Blue Funnel. I sailed with him on the Scotspark in 1971 when he was 4th Engineer and I was Junior. Great guy.

Dougie,

When where you in Scotpark? I joined 11th November 1971 up in Thunder Bay.

John Alexander (Big John) was Chief Engineer and later Frank Semple.

I remember a Third Eng by the name of Goodings. Better known as 'Chief's Dog'. Something to do about the Chief coming out his door to find sleeping outside in the alleyway... hence 'Chief's Dog'.

A Jr. Engineer, I remember well, but only his nickname... 'The Bone'. As it was said, 'Elmer T. Bone, University of Oxford, Reading: Pornography'!!!!!!

Gerry Staub was 2nd Mate. Robbie Morgan 3rd Mate. Electrican Mervin Gowl. The Mate was Captain J. F. Mason, formerly Shaw Savill.

Eight months in Scotpark, Great Lakes to Rotterdam and then Shields for DD. Then down to two runs to Geelong to Alexandra and then pay off at Cristobal. Great ship.

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
4th December 2017, 00:47
Dougie,

I should have checked your stats and photo. Well, it has been 46 years since Scotpark, but I would swear it is your photo... you are 'The Bone'!!!! Well well. Great to see you here on SN.

Do you remember the evening ashore in Rotterdam? Went to the Flying Angles Club and as we came through the door we saw the guys rolling the kegs across the bar room. We made a fuss about 'Having in Heaven' and were promptly chucked out!!!! Next morning John Alexander found Rover sleeping his door... again 'Chief's Dog'.

Stephen

:-)

teb
4th December 2017, 03:28
When I was with Denholms sm in.late50ties early 60ties the management was split into 4groups A.B.C.D- anyone know if any of the group managers are still with us?

Dougie01
4th December 2017, 11:26
Dougie,

I should have checked your stats and photo. Well, it has been 46 years since Scotpark, but I would swear it is your photo... you are 'The Bone'!!!! Well well. Great to see you here on SN.

Do you remember the evening ashore in Rotterdam? Went to the Flying Angles Club and as we came through the door we saw the guys rolling the kegs across the bar room. We made a fuss about 'Having in Heaven' and were promptly chucked out!!!! Next morning John Alexander found Rover sleeping his door... again 'Chief's Dog'.

Stephen

:-)

Hello Stephen,

Yes, itís me Jim Boyd. I wish I was as thin now that someone would give me the nickname Bone.

The Scotspark was a great ship with a really good lot of guys on her. We were poor but happy, as they say. My first Denholm ship was the Beaufort Sea, with Bobby Kinder and after that the Scotspark was brilliant.

Iíve been retired now for 7 years and really enjoying it. I still keep in touch with Hamish Harrower from our times on the Dalma and the Broompark and Ronnie Keir from the GTV Euroliner and Eurofreighter days. I had a very pleasant lunch with Ronnie last month, he is also retired now.

All the best,

Jim.

John Cassels
4th December 2017, 11:40
Hello Stephen,

Yes, itís me Jim Boyd. I wish I was as thin now that someone would give me the nickname Bone.

The Scotspark was a great ship with a really good lot of guys on her. We were poor but happy, as they say. My first Denholm ship was the Beaufort Sea, with Bobby Kinder and after that the Scotspark was brilliant.

Iíve been retired now for 7 years and really enjoying it. I still keep in touch with Hamish Harrower from our times on the Dalma and the Broompark and Ronnie Keir from the GTV Euroliner and Eurofreighter days. I had a very pleasant lunch with Ronnie last month, he is also retired now.

All the best,

Jim.

Jim , if you see Ronnie again , give him my regards . Sailed with him on both the GTV's when I was mate.

Stephen J. Card
4th December 2017, 12:22
Jim,

Good to hear from you. Wish you long and happy retirement! I just hit my own 'retirement' day and I've got a bucket list of works that I want to do so I will wait for another ten years... or more.

What date did you leave Scotspark? April '72... Gibraltar? I was with Bobby Kinder in the Pioneer in '70, but I think he went to the Beaufort Sea after that. The firm was quite small, relatively, in the early 70s. Everyone knew everyone. Seemed to explode a few years later.

Thanks for teaching me the ballast system in Scotspark. Fun playing down in 'Toy Town'. :-)

Best,

Stephen

Dougie01
4th December 2017, 12:39
Jim , if you see Ronnie again , give him my regards . Sailed with him on both the GTV's when I was mate.

Hello John,

No problems, Iíll let Ronnie know that you are asking for him. Frank Brown and Davie Marshall were the Mates on the GTVís when I was there.

Dougie01
4th December 2017, 12:51
Jim,

Good to hear from you. Wish you long and happy retirement! I just hit my own 'retirement' day and I've got a bucket list of works that I want to do so I will wait for another ten years... or more.

What date did you leave Scotspark? April '72... Gibraltar? I was with Bobby Kinder in the Pioneer in '70, but I think he went to the Beaufort Sea after that. The firm was quite small, relatively, in the early 70s. Everyone knew everyone. Seemed to explode a few years later.

Thanks for teaching me the ballast system in Scotspark. Fun playing down in 'Toy Town'. :-)

Best,

Stephen

Enjoy your retirement when you get round to it. I left the Scotspark on the 13th March 72 from Augusta, Sicily. I left with Frank Semple, Chief Engineer.

Happy Days indeed.

douglasjamesmichael
26th January 2018, 18:31
Hi Still alive - ex Diamond D Second Steam....Started on Diesel until they found out I was Ex Weirs....Loch Long, Sig Ragne, Loch Lomond, Loch Maree ,Nordic Clansman, Nordic Commander, Nordic Clansman, Nordic Commander.

RLD
28th January 2018, 15:13
I've been retired now for about five years, but I was in Denholms from 1976 to 1989. I was on the following ships. Does anyone remember me. I'm afraid the memory is going a bit now, so I need reminding.
Burmah Garnet, Nordic Louisiana (I remember that Bobbie Kinder was Old Man), Industria, London Team, Burmah Pearl, Eden Bridge (later, Cast Petrel), Arctic Troll, Cast Osprey, Cast Cormorant, Cast Narwhal, Scandia Team, Helm, Bise and Pacific Express. I later met Bobbie Kinder in the US when he was a surveyor. A good guy.
Bob Dewick

oldgoat1947
20th June 2018, 11:20
I've been retired now for about five years, but I was in Denholms from 1976 to 1989. I was on the following ships. Does anyone remember me. I'm afraid the memory is going a bit now, so I need reminding.
Burmah Garnet, Nordic Louisiana (I remember that Bobbie Kinder was Old Man), Industria, London Team, Burmah Pearl, Eden Bridge (later, Cast Petrel), Arctic Troll, Cast Osprey, Cast Cormorant, Cast Narwhal, Scandia Team, Helm, Bise and Pacific Express. I later met Bobbie Kinder in the US when he was a surveyor. A good guy.
Bob Dewick
I joined Denholm's in 1975 and left in 1982 I did two Trips on Scandia Team 1981/82 as Chief Engineer Jerry Nash was Old Man My last Denholm Ship
Previously on Vancouver Trader ( 3 Trips ) Andros (6 trips ) Seatrain Saratoga (1 Trip) Sevonia Team (1 Trip ) ( Apart from Seatrain Saratoga all Gotaverken Main Engines ). (Cloud)

Stephen J. Card
24th June 2018, 23:40
Enjoy your retirement when you get round to it. I left the Scotspark on the 13th March 72 from Augusta, Sicily. I left with Frank Semple, Chief Engineer.

Happy Days indeed.

Ah! Just saw this one. I was the 'lucky' one. Joined Thunder Bay in November and remained until the July 72. I had left home on 2 January 1971... 18 months. 'Very' lucky. ;-) have to admit, SCOTSPARK was a good ship for me. Plenty of sea days and the Mate (Mason) left me alone to do my own. The crew food was good too! I was invited into the crew messroom twice a week. I was sworn to secrecy by the Bosun and Ch Steward.

I was also in GLENPARK in '76 as 2/M. Also a good ship. I had WELLPARK for four month tour as well. The Connell ships were better!

Stephen

Dougie01
25th June 2018, 10:19
Ah! Just saw this one. I was the 'lucky' one. Joined Thunder Bay in November and remained until the July 72. I had left home on 2 January 1971... 18 months. 'Very' lucky. ;-) have to admit, SCOTSPARK was a good ship for me. Plenty of sea days and the Mate (Mason) left me alone to do my own. The crew food was good too! I was invited into the crew messroom twice a week. I was sworn to secrecy by the Bosun and Ch Steward.

I was also in GLENPARK in '76 as 2/M. Also a good ship. I had WELLPARK for four month tour as well. The Connell ships were better!

Stephen
I notice you said we had “Plenty of sea days”. I’m sure we did about 5 weeks at sea from Alexandria to Geelong when Suez was closed in 71. We had to go the long way round but I can’t remember have a stop at sea during that voyage. Maybe you could confirm. Great ship indeed and a good bunch of guys.

Stephen J. Card
1st July 2018, 13:32
Checking my 'book of Voyages' it reads,

Thunder Bar 10 Nov 1971 Joined, Loading Grain
Rotterdam Flying Angels Club... and I don't think any more 'comments'!
North Shields Drydock
Geelong Load Grain
Gibraltar Bunkers
Alexandria Discharge
Geelong Load Grain
Alexandria Discharge
Cristobal Bunkers 2 July 1972

Masters: E, Watson, Fred Hutchings, Ian Wildish.
Mate: James F. Masson, Captain, Shaw Savill !!!!! J.B. Edgar
2/O Gerry M. L. Staub, 3/O Robbie R. Morgan
Chief Eng John Alexander, F. Semple
Elect: M. Gowl
Jr. Eng Jim Boyd
3/E C.T. Goodings

Notes: Inbound Straits of Gib for Alex and we passed Glenpark in ballast. (I took a couple of photos of the ship... distant shot),

We bunkered at Gibraltar. We came alongside near midnight and crowd of us were straight up to the town. Perhaps you were on board for bunkering? In the morning we sailed. Again, I have photos taken at Gibraltar, including a photo of the 'MATSAS' at anchor. This was the famous tug TURMOIL.

You left Augusta 13 March 1972 and must have been after discharge Alexandra. I don't make any other notes, not even a mention of Augusta. Possibly just the crew change and nothing else. I wish I had kept dates for all of the ports.

Stephen

Dougie01
1st July 2018, 20:04
Thanks Stephen, Thank goodness you have your notes. Newcastle, England to Geelong May have been longer than 35 days at sea? In the words of the song “Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end. Jim.

Stephen J. Card
2nd July 2018, 13:59
Hey Jim,

I made a mistake above. I said that we had bunkered at Gib BEFORE Alexandria. It made sense... making that long voyage from Geelong to Alex without bunkered. Then I said that the call at Augusta when you paid off is not in my notes. Well, I have checked my trusty "Book of Voyages". It says that we DID call at Gib AFTER Alexandria and no mention of Augusta. Then I went to Denholm News Summer 1972. Here is what it says:

SCOTSPARK arrived Geelong 14th January (1972) and loaded a cargo of grain for Alexandria where she completed on 11th March. It was planned to bunker at Augusta, load spares and effect officer reliefs but in this event, although the vessel, industrial action prevented bunkering and it was necessary to proceed Gibraltar for refuelling. The vessel then proceeded once more to Australia completed loading at Geelong on 19th May and is presently due in Alexandria on 2nd June.

Got all this? Now here is the rub.....

"Captain Wildish relieved Captain Hutchings and Chief Engineer Alexander relieved Mr Semple at AUGUSTA." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can figure is that the ship did call at Gib as I said in my book but I did not mention about Augusta as it was just a call for 'crew change' ONLY. I guess you left the ship there in the middle of the night!

I think I was thrown out because the photos of Gib (with Turmoil) are shown in my album and I took a couple of photos in Alexandria are shown AFTER Gib. I didn't take many.... but possible the photos are out of sequence!

Photos Christmas Day Dec 1971. Sparkie, Gerry Staub and Robbie Morgan with Chim Shu (QM)Ö. and Gerry and self. I remember well the 'unplanned' stop at Noon! I was told to ring the Alarm Bells at the second of Noon. Robbie blew the horn and Gerry rang the telegraph... all at the exact same second. Only problem is when Gerry took the telegraph went from Full Ahead straight to Full Astern and back to Full Ahead... she was still in Bridge Control! I heard the engineers were sitting at captain's quarters for the Christmas Touborg beer (gift from Head Office) when the telegraphs went there was some 'problems' and it was another hour or so get going again. Gerry with egg all over his face!

Stephen

Dougie01
2nd July 2018, 18:06
Hello Stephen,

The photos are great, thanks for posting them. I remember leaving the Scotspark in Augusta but it was definitely during daylight hours. As far as I remember we left via the Pilot ladder and didn’t meet our reliefs.

To fill in your list of personnel the Second Engineers when I was there were
Oswald Bartlett who I believe was relieved by David Blaine. Rover (C.T.Goodings) joined as 4th Engineer after 4th Engineer Adrian Goodwin lost the top of his finger. Rover must have been promoted to 3rd Eng after that. Jim.

Stephen J. Card
2nd July 2018, 18:28
Thanks Jim,

All I can say is that you missed a good run up the town in Gib!

After the last run to Alexandria I was fairly certain that I would be... almost 18 months away. The orders were for yet another run to Geelong and that I would be relived in August that year.... perhaps! In the end orders changed for Panama so they sent me home. Spent five days in 'detention' in the US Immigration camp at Panama Canal area. Not allowed to go anywhere. Great camp! Huge accommodation for officers and another building for crew. I was the only 'officer' in that block. They didn't want me to eat at the crew mess room either! Finally they relented and at least I could speak to people. The only thing I was allowed to come over the Miraflores Locks to watch the ships pass.

Victor J. Croasdale
24th November 2018, 15:14
Hi Dan,
I was on the Norvegia Team Sept 77 to March 78

Victor J. Croasdale
25th November 2018, 03:09
Hi Still alive - ex Diamond D Second Steam....Started on Diesel until they found out I was Ex Weirs....Loch Long, Sig Ragne, Loch Lomond, Loch Maree ,Nordic Clansman, Nordic Commander, Nordic Clansman, Nordic Commander.
Hi,
Was on Nordic Commander May to Nov 76
Loch Maree Feb to June 77 & Oct 78 to March 79
Sig Ragne May to Sept 78

Victor J. Croasdale
25th November 2018, 03:41
Here are some photos of the Nordic Commander. I joined the Nordic Commander of Sharjah in the Arabian Gulf in May 1976. The ship had a photographic darkroom. All the equipment was still boxed up. So I unpacked it and set up the darkroom. Some of the chemicals had gone off in storage. I ordered new chemicals which we received at Capetown.
These photos were all developed on board. I scanned them from the negatives with a 35mm scanner. The Website significantly reduces the image size. The original scans are about 5500 x 3800 pixels.
I will post some more soon.

Victor J. Croasdale
25th November 2018, 03:44
Here are some more.

Victor J. Croasdale
25th November 2018, 05:04
NC 14 is me posing at the electrical main board.
If anyone can put names to the people in NC17 I would be grateful.

I have some more photos but I'll need to scan them. Some of them are 120 film shot on my Rolleicord twin lens reflex. I might have to print those then scan the prints as I don't have a 120 size neg scanner.

I took some which were printed in Denholm News at least one of them had the caption Nordic Clansman!

Varley
25th November 2018, 10:41
A bearded Harrower? Declan Brookes? NEBB!

duncs
27th November 2018, 05:26
I sailed as ETO on an OBO called 'EB Carrier', under Turkish flag. I was with an agency, but v/l under D's, She was a wreck. I think she may have been 'Nordic Chieftain' originally.
Anybody got info on her?

Duncs

Varley
27th November 2018, 12:10
Did we meet Duncs? The only ETO I remember on her was Neil Long. She was the sister of Nordic Crusader which became Cast Fulmar. My last trip as E/O before coming ashore to invent ETOs. A fun trip. Sunderland Forge Self igniting switchboards (mine funnily enough was the emergency board which was differently and more reliably built. Nonetheless....). We ran out of fuel (actually we had oodles but nothing with which to pump it aft the idiotic submersible hydraulic drive pumps in the fwd. deep tanks having failed). The we almost hit Bermuda or Bahamas when we failed to go astern on calling for gas oil (all that they had) to finish the voyage). Fun, fun, all the way!

I saw EB C a couple of times (another sign of her being a fun palace). D trying to import our officers and crew, Mr. Sonmez pleading poverty and kept trying to change all to Turkish. I cannot fully recall the chronology but she had a fire in the after GSP and the starters had been reconnected with welding cable somewhere off Capetown (from memory). Tom McNeil in full sail as all-purpose superintendent/manager/owners tutor fitting new D/A Starboard side.

I also have a photograph of 'our' Filipino 'E/O''s cabin with a hot plate dangling from the light fitting and a heating lamp in his shower. This was after he had been sent home when I was looking for the ships electrical drawings which he had hidden under his bunk.

Neil was my eventual solution to that particular problem. I am not sure he appreciated the immense favour I felt this to be! It was he who attached training wheels to my Sembawang Superintendent's bicycle (it was a team effort, Maurice Kennedy had drawn my attention for the afternoon with either gin or beer whilst my traitorous staff modified the bike - much to the amusement of the entire shipyard). She was there after a major engine room flooding and minor mutiny off Japan (was there an axe mark in the old man's door when you were there?). That incident adequately illustrated the shortcoming in emergency alternator testing Ken Greer was onboard (I think the mutiny came first) and, blacked out after the flood, they were able to moonphone the office only five minutes in the hour which was about the endurance of the emergency generator without overheating. Weekly starting and stopping had allowed cold corrosion and there was a hole in on piston. Run them until all temperatures have reached normal and stable temperature!

Hilmi Sonmez was (is, am sure) a decent type and the only owner that has replaced a switchboard on my say-so. I was showing him the tulip connectors on the Sunderland Forge withdrawable starters that had managed to cause fires on every one we had and he asked me how to fix it. I replied that we had had a long experience of these and overlooking one improperly tightened tulip could burn the thing down. i.e. we had no solution but to throw them out and put in decently designed boards. And that's exactly what he did.

I am sure I can dredge more from the black museum to remind you of the good old days you must have had on her! (I remember the bridge wing RPM illumination feeding back to the tacho circuit and causing ME overspeed trip - what fabulous ships we Brits used to build).

BillH
27th November 2018, 16:40
NORDIC CHIEFTAIN / CAST HERON / HELM (1981 - 1986) OBO
O.N. 363449. 86,098g. 59,370n. 161,798d. 957’ 6” x 140’ 3” x 81’ 0”
8-cyl 2 SCSA (980 x 2000mm) B&W type by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast. 30,400bhp
5.4.1974: Launched by Sunderland Ship Builders Ltd., North Sands Yard Sunderland (Yard No.732)
11.1974: Completed for Anglo-Eastern Bulkships Ltd. - Denholm Ship Management Ltd
1981: Sold to Cast Combination Carriers Ltd and renamed CAST HERON
1983: Sold to Marvin Brook Ltd, and renamed HELM
1986: Sold to Ziden Denizcilik ve Ticaret A.S.Turkey and renamed INCI-S.
1988: Sold to Emmersdale Shipping S.A. Panama and renamed CHIHIROSAN
1989: Renamed EUROBULK CARRIER
1989: Renamed E.B.CARRIER
1992: Renamed COMRADE
1994: Renamed BULK ATHENA
28.7.1994: Arrived at Alang for demolition

duncs
27th November 2018, 23:00
David V,
no, we haven't met. Re EB C It would take me too long to explain the problems I had. After repairing the float switches in the pump room bilges, the phil eng ignoring the alarms(I had fixed), and the pump room nearly flooding, which I caught in time. Turk engs losing steam and TA lost and no air to start a gen. Managed eventually to charge a comp by some dodgy tricks using emgy gen, and I mean dodgy, and got a diesel on the board.

A lot of my time was spent getting the IG system working and we passed a survey on it in Singapore. Mr Somnez wanted us to carry oil for our next cargo(we had coal from Aussie at the time).

In Iskenderun, Mr Somnez's head man came on board. He turned out to be Kenny Macleod from Stornoway. I had sailed with Kenny many years before, when he was 2/O on the Stirling Bridge. I told him(after a few beers together), I wouldn't sail with an oil cargo(too dangerous), he arranged my repatriation.

I don't know if she actually carried an oil cargo after that.

Rgds

Duncs

Varley
28th November 2018, 02:01
Well, I am pleased we have now.

That pumproom design was supposed to have been a special university commission. Maybe excellent for pipeline fluid mechanics but ergonomic nightmare (and I was not much less fat then).

Nothing wrong with reverse feeding from the ESB - that is if you haven't burned it to the ground. The short circuit protection's all to cock but then how often does one have a short circuit? (Sunderland Forge excepted). Ken Greer's solution was altogether dodgier employing CO2 bottles.

IO didn't remember Kenny being in Turkey, only Tom McNeill exiled there. It was Kenny as Master that got the knock at his door. Capt. Omur Ostaskin was a good Sonmez man, just one of far too few to run a shipping company.

During one visit he had his son with him (perhaps a son) he had been offered a trip but Mrs Sonmez had objected on the grounds of safety.

I am not sure which or if it is true but one of the them sank. In water not deep enough to disguise from underwriters that she had been unseaworthy so no claim allowed.

David V

duncs
28th November 2018, 02:49
David, I'll stand corrected on this. But, I was told the ER and pump room were flooded at some stage. I spent some time putting alarms on a diesel gennie(none on it), which I believe was a retrofit, after flooding. I was also told, Kenny, who was OM at the time, went into the flooded pump room with BA to open valves under water. I was told this after leaving.

Duncs

duncs
28th November 2018, 03:29
BillH,
many thanks for info.
Rgds,
Duncs

Varley
28th November 2018, 11:16
I don't remember anything about pump room flooding. The engine room one was caused when a bend broke off after one of the (Siemens motored) SW pumps.

duncs
29th November 2018, 02:55
As I said, David, I stood to be corrected. This was told to me 2nd/3rd hand? My own prob re pumproom. Plates were being repaired on wing tanks, welders(Turk), left a plate off, C/O, ballasting didn't know, ballast water into bilges and pump room bilges. Caught in time.

Duncs

Engine Serang
29th November 2018, 08:22
Until I joined this Website I believed Denholm's was a Blue-Chip outfit.

Until I read Mr. Varley's posts I believed Sunderland Forge were the Rolls-Royce of Switchboards.

Until I joined the Texaco Denmark I believed Rolls Royce made good diesel engines, the elite.

Bubbles burst all around, do I require counselling? Or am I just a simpleton?

Varley
29th November 2018, 12:13
It took good men to run such ships. Running the client was always more difficult, horses to water and all that. An owner makes the mistake of spending money on what he wants to and not on what he needs to. The manager has to spend what is needed with the money the owner wants for something else.

I remember Denmark's Em D/A (As I do TOR I and TOR II) and that the door would be dangerously sucked shut if it started with it unsecured. Was it still in situ when she went for scrap? Those for the main generators on the ex Uiterwyk reefers (largest EM Slip couplings ever made) were long gone when we got a couple. The only evidence being the rail on which the lead curtain had run around them to stop the disintegrating running gear flying further from the crankcase than necessary.

Sunderland Forge was just that sort of Rolls Royce.

There is an old joke. I have a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt. Unfortunately Stradivarius did not paint well nor Mr. Rembrandt make good violins.

DaveLaur
2nd January 2019, 12:33
Ref Anybody Left From Denholms
I was 1st trip Engineer Cadet on Norvegia Team, Capt George Hay, I thought I had entered a mad house, but had a great time. Joined in Cape Town then Freeport Bahamas, Ras Tanura, Kaoshung, Hay Point then left in Taranto
E/C on Advara in SE ASia and Australia
J/E on Loch Maree, Asia Liner, Troll Park, Arctic Troll and Scotstoun.
Went ashore after twice being relieved by Sri Lankans on 50% my salary serving trips 50% longer

Irvingman
2nd January 2019, 13:02
I was 1st trip Engineer Cadet on Norvegia Team, Capt George Hay, I thought I had entered a mad house, but had a great time. Joined in Cape Town then Freeport Bahamas, Ras Tanura, Kaoshung, Hay Point then left in Taranto
Went ashore after twice being relieved by Sri Lankans on 50% my salary serving trips 50% longer

Dave, were you in the August 1973 intake at Glasgow CNS?

Victor J. Croasdale
2nd January 2019, 15:49
Dave,
When were you on Norvegia Team and Loch Maree?
I was on Loch Maree Feb 77 to June 77 and Oct 79 to Mar 80, Norvegia Team Sept 77 to Feb 78.

What did you do when you came ashore?

tunatownshipwreck
3rd January 2019, 06:38

Would you have been on the Scotstoun in 1971-1972?

DaveLaur
3rd January 2019, 06:52
Would you have been on the Scotstoun in 1971-1972?
I was Junior Engineer. Not sure of dates but joined in Rio then loaded bagged sugar in Recife for Bandar Abbas. Swing there at anchor for ages, then alongside for unloading, mostly by hand and very slowly, by Afghans, at the beginning of the Iranian revolution. Eventually left, without pilot, in company with some other vessels. Loaded Iron ore at Goa ( again mostly by hand ) then discharged in Constanza - Romania where we did a complete Officer and Crew change with a chartered twin turbo prop flight back to Prestwick where 2 of the UK crew were arrested for something they did before joining.

rod holroyd
3rd January 2019, 19:47
still here rod holroyd crinan 1963 intake

spongebob
3rd January 2019, 21:44
This thread starts with "Anyone left from". , always gives me a start , are we all fading away . Will the last crewman close the hatch.
A better thread start is "Any old Bankers out there"
Don't worry , there are thousands of us.

Bob

tunatownshipwreck
4th January 2019, 06:31
I was Junior Engineer. Not sure of dates but joined in Rio then loaded bagged sugar in Recife for Bandar Abbas. Swing there at anchor for ages, then alongside for unloading, mostly by hand and very slowly, by Afghans, at the beginning of the Iranian revolution. Eventually left, without pilot, in company with some other vessels. Loaded Iron ore at Goa ( again mostly by hand ) then discharged in Constanza - Romania where we did a complete Officer and Crew change with a chartered twin turbo prop flight back to Prestwick where 2 of the UK crew were arrested for something they did before joining.

The Iranian revolution was 1979, unless you're talking about the one in 1953.

RLD
4th January 2019, 13:27
still here rod holroyd crin
an 1963 intake

Anyone been on these?
Helm 1983
Bise 1984
Pacific Express 1985, 1986
Canada's Tomorrow 1985
Taifung (ex Blue Whale) 1986, 1987

Bob Dewick

R904444
4th January 2019, 16:17
Anyone been on these?
Helm 1983
Bise 1984
Pacific Express 1985, 1986
Canada's Tomorrow 1985
Taifung (ex Blue Whale) 1986, 1987

Bob Dewick

Hi Bob I was on the Cast Heron when she changed her name to Helm anchored off Gibraltar. Joined 19/06/1983 at Huelva and left 22/10/1983 at Genoa - last ship in Denholm's

Andy McArthur

RLD
5th January 2019, 10:28
Hi Andy, I was Mate on the Helm from Dec 1983 to Apr 1984. You're right. She was a wreck. I was regular in Denholms, but I nearly walked off in Rotterdam. Luckily, a riding squad joined there, and all the defective cargo valves were repaired. Helm was later sold to the Turkish company (Sonmez, I think), and later, I was sent there as a Training Officer for Denholms in 1986/87when the Turks were having trouble. By then she was Inci S. That ship was 'Trouble'.
I found various name changes as follows:
Former name(s):
- Comrade (Until 1994)
- Comtrade (Until 1993 Nov)
- Chihirosan (Until 1989 Mar)
- Eurobulk Carrier (Until 1989)
- Inci S (Until 1988)
- Helm (Until 1986)
- Cast Heron (Until 1983)
- Nordic Chieftain (Until 1981)

Bob Dewick

John Cassels
5th January 2019, 11:13
Was on her as Nordic chieftain when she was storage tanker out in Ardjuna oil field Indonesia. Interesting 3 months.

R904444
5th January 2019, 17:23
Hi Andy, I was Mate on the Helm from Dec 1983 to Apr 1984. You're right. She was a wreck. I was regular in Denholms, but I nearly walked off in Rotterdam. Luckily, a riding squad joined there, and all the defective cargo valves were repaired. Helm was later sold to the Turkish company (Sonmez, I think), and later, I was sent there as a Training Officer for Denholms in 1986/87when the Turks were having trouble. By then she was Inci S. That ship was 'Trouble'.
I found various name changes as follows:
Former name(s):
- Comrade (Until 1994)
- Comtrade (Until 1993 Nov)
- Chihirosan (Until 1989 Mar)
- Eurobulk Carrier (Until 1989)
- Inci S (Until 1988)
- Helm (Until 1986)
- Cast Heron (Until 1983)
- Nordic Chieftain (Until 1981)

Bob Dewick

Hi Bob,

I was also sent over to her with an Engineer Cadet from the Cast Kittiwake when anchored up the Gulf Autumn 1982 to assist in removing a cargo valve in the pumproom. We were up to our thighs in in crude oil and trying to work with spark free tools. We were there for 2 days but got called back to the Kittiwake before the job was finished as she had received orders to load oil at Kharg Island. She had a history of leaking cargo valves.

Andy McArthur

BillH
5th January 2019, 17:47
NORDIC CHIEFTAIN / CAST HERON / HELM OBO
O.N. 363449. 86,098g. 59,370n. 161,798d. 957’ 6” x 140’ 3” x 81’ 0”
8-cyl 2 SCSA (980 x 2000mm) B&W type by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast. 30,400bhp
5.4.1974: Launched by Sunderland Ship Builders Ltd., North Sands Yard Sunderland (Yard No.732)
11.1974: Completed for Anglo-Eastern Bulkships Ltd. (Denholm Ship Management Ltd)
22.11.1974: Registered at London
1981: Sold to Cast Combination Carriers Ltd and renamed CAST HERON
1983: Sold to Marvin Brook Ltd, and renamed HELM
1986: Sold to Ziden Denizcilik ve Ticaret A.S.Turkey and renamed INCI-S.
1988: Sold to Emmersdale Shipping S.A. Panama and renamed CHIHIROSAN
1989: Renamed EUROBULK CARRIER
1989: Renamed E.B.CARRIER
1992: Renamed COMRADE
1994: Renamed BULK ATHENA
28.7.1994: Arrived at Alang for demolition

RLD
10th January 2019, 10:47
BillH, would that be Bill Hornsby? This is Bob Dewick

BillH
10th January 2019, 12:28
BillH, would that be Bill Hornsby? This is Bob Dewick

No, sorry not Bill Hornsby.

I have never worked for Denholm - currently well advanced researching the company and fleet intended for an illustrated book, either digital on CD or USB stick or if I can persuade a publisher - a printed book.

My work currently stands at 265 pages A5 format

RLD
11th January 2019, 10:32
Good luck with the book.

rod holroyd
5th May 2019, 18:39
rod holroyd
rare english in denholms.
crinan 1963 john cassels cabin mate.
sailed many debholm ships, can understand all dialects in scotland, after sailing with denholms great company great people,

John Cassels
5th May 2019, 20:01
rod holroyd
rare english in denholms.
crinan 1963 john cassels cabin mate.
sailed many debholm ships, can understand all dialects in scotland, after sailing with denholms great company great people,

Still alive and kicking Rod , sent you a mail not so long ago .

FYRB
5th May 2019, 21:03
Hi Rod,

Well I recall sailing with you on Inverewe if memory is correct (donít think it was Fidentia but could be wrong) in fact I just cruised out of Barcelona today and remember going on a visit to the castle above the harbour and looking down below to the port. I was 2nd year INC. Not sure if you remember the Kentucky Bar in main part of Barcelona. Great ship we spent 10 months on her before bending the propellor up the Great Lakes and then handing her over to a Greek Shipping Co. Big Jim was Master, Malcolm Thorpe 2Nd and you were 3rd. Such Great memories.

Best Regards Tony Winter.

BillH
19th July 2019, 20:31
No, sorry not Bill Hornsby.

I have never worked for Denholm - currently well advanced researching the company and fleet intended for an illustrated book, either digital on CD or USB stick or if I can persuade a publisher - a printed book.

My work currently stands at 265 pages A5 format

I have now approached a publisher and submitted "first sight" manuscript for their assessment. That stands currently at 206 pages A4 size, including illustrations. Some vessels still coming out of the woodwork.

If declined then will do it as previously mentioned as an on demand PDF on CD or USB

One or two on here are already in possession of an early version on CD when I was attempting to ratify vessel names and dates of Denholm involvement.

highlander403
9th December 2019, 23:03
Sailed on a few of your list . Was on the Erskine Bridge 1973-1974 left In Japan same time as Miss Bradshaw joined as RO.
sailed with miss (dallas) bradshaw on glenpark, was she not the first woman in the brittish mn

FYRB
9th December 2019, 23:18
J&J were the first to engage a female INC late 1960’s in the British MN, regrettably don’t recall her name or what happened to her.

tunatownshipwreck
10th December 2019, 07:17
sailed with miss (dallas) bradshaw on glenpark, was she not the first woman in the brittish mn

Do you recall when she was onboard? She was on the Scotstoun, maybe 1970-71.

highlander403
10th December 2019, 07:45
tuna..
it was around 73 prob, no idea where my discharge book is though did hear then she had been on the scotstoun earlier

scotty bob

BillH
10th December 2019, 09:18

Unfortunately not. The following extract from my book "The Blue Funnel Odyssey"

"At the time of the Caledon purchase there was one Miss Victoria Alexandrina Drummond (a godchild of Queen Victoria) undergoing an engineering apprenticeship at the Lillybank engine shop at the shipyard. Henry Bell-Wortley, a Holt manager, and a partner in the yard, had taken a unique step by employing her and had also promised his full support in finding her a berth to obtain sea-going experience. His promise was related to Laurence Holt, upon his investment in the shipyard. Bell-Wortley however died before Drummond had completed her training. Such was Holtís respect for him that he felt obliged to fulfil the promise he had made. Upon completion of her training Holt found her a berth as a third engineer aboard a ďBlue FunnelĒ vessel. That was to obtain the necessary sea experience to enable her to sit a second engineerís examination. This unique situation however, caused some problems for Holt management. Apart from the gender problems regarding onboard facilities there was the expected reluctance from within a previously 100% male regime that had to be overcome. As soon as she obtained her second class certificate in October 1924, Holt felt that the promise had been fulfilled and that he could no longer sustain the problems her presence afloat had created. He duly terminated the employment of the first female engineer in the British merchant marine, let alone the company. She subsequently continued her sea-going career and indeed became the first female to receive the Lloydís War Medal for bravery at sea, during World War II."

R904444
10th December 2019, 14:41
J&J were the first to engage a female INC late 1960ís in the British MN, regrettably donít recall her name or what happened to her.

Could have Sheila Edmundson, sailed with her on the Bibi in summer 1972 when she was 3rd mate - don't know what happened to her.

Andy McArthur

John Cassels
10th December 2019, 19:39
Correct Andy , it was Sheila Edmunson.

tunatownshipwreck
11th December 2019, 06:53
I found this mention of Dallas Bradshaw and other female R/Os: www.qsl.net/ylradio/archives/YLstor/guinness.html

tunatownshipwreck
11th December 2019, 06:56
There's also this: www.qsl.net/ylradio/stories.html

Kingham SJ
11th December 2019, 10:25
Im still here been away for awhile(Applause)