On the Tay: Jock3 says Hello

Jock3
18th January 2007, 17:09
The River Tay at Dundee sees 2 historical ships presrved. One the RRS Discovery and secondly and sadly hidden away in the commercial docks and largely forgotten it seems, the oldest UK built warship remaining afloat HMS Unicorn

Derek Roger
18th January 2007, 17:24
Welcome to the site Jock .
There are some comments on the HMS Unicorn / HMS Cressey . If you are from Dundee we would appreciate a picture or two once you get the hang of the site .
There are a couple of pics of the Discovery. If you need some help in using " search etc " you will find the members very helpfull.
Having lived in Tayport ; Newport and Dundee I have a real interest in any of the local pictures .
I thought I had one of the B.L.Nairn ( the paddle "Fifie ") which I was going to post but unfortunatly cant lay my hands on it .

Bridie
18th January 2007, 19:17
The River Tay at Dundee sees 2 historical ships preserved. One the RRS Discovery and secondly and sadly hidden away in the commercial docks and largely forgotten it seems, the oldest UK built warship remaining afloat HMS Unicorn
Hi from another Dundee resident, but a "Loon" by birth.
I "signed on" RRS Discovery twice as Education Officer and still take an interest in her. She was Dundee built, but I see the site of the yard is becoming a new residential quarter.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/524/DiscoveryMe.jpg
Early 90's in the Victoria Dock

Gulpers
18th January 2007, 21:22
Jock3,

A warm welcome to SN from Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
18th January 2007, 21:36
Welcome to SN Jock.

I am sure you will find a lot of interesting stuff here.

Enjoy the site and everything on offer.

Regards,

Brian

thunderd
18th January 2007, 22:33
Jock welcome to the site from Tasmania, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

backsplice
19th January 2007, 09:10
Ah Victoria Dock ..the memories come flooding back ..........in the opposite coprner from the Discovery (which was,nt there in 58) there sands a building with a wee tower the building housed a wee tea bar ..anyway while serving on the LOCHEE thousands of bags of cement were discharged in these sheds .what a life ..the Unicorn was up in the other corner .......great days indeed (Thumb) Backsplice

thedelboy
19th January 2007, 10:48
Derek I was born in Tayport,long time back;welcome

R58484956
19th January 2007, 10:58
Jock3 a warm welcome from the south of England, I am sure you will enjoy the site once you know your way around the companionways. Bon voyage.

Derek Roger
19th January 2007, 14:45
Backsplice ;
While on the Lochee ( D.P & L ) you may have come across my late uncle Capt Arthur Roger . He was captain on most of the D.P.& L vessels at some time or another .
If you look in my gallery you will see some D.P& L ties .
Derek

Derek Roger
19th January 2007, 14:57
Thedelboy ;
I went to the Junior secondary school there before Bell Baxter . My grandfathers house bye Braids Park overlooked the " Rivit Rock " where I fished for sea trout and "Flukes "
The harbour was busy then with woodboats loading timber from the sawmill and small ships unloading Esparto grass for the paper mill @ Guard Bridge .
There was a RAF search and rescue station there at the time with two high speed rescue launches before the helicopters took over .
There was also a flourishing "Mussel " harvesting industry ( wild mussels ) which supplied the fishermen of the East Neuk of Fife with their bait.

Jock3
19th January 2007, 16:55
Sorry I missed this section when I joined, to busy trying to do 6 things at once!

To those wanting a pic or 2 of the Disco or Uni, they are both on my site which is still under construction covering both civil and military shipping and found here http://maritimephotos.fotopic.net/

Futher to this I am urgently looking for ANY RN photos from either the present era or yesteryear of any vessels, big or small.(Fat or thin!)
Living in Bonnie or not (depending on your P.O.V!) Dundee the navy is sadly a very rare site locally and the commercial side isn't what it used to be.
My site relies quite largely on contributions, all of which are properly credited to the provider.
Any help anyone can be will be more than appreciated. Of current particular interest is former RN carriers anyone got anything?
If anyone wishs to contribute anything then please send them to
[email protected]
Cheers

Bridie
19th January 2007, 20:13
Ah Victoria Dock ..the memories come flooding back ..........in the opposite coprner from the Discovery (which was,nt there in 58) there sands a building with a wee tower the building housed a wee tea bar ..anyway while serving on the LOCHEE thousands of bags of cement were discharged in these sheds .what a life ..the Unicorn was up in the other corner .......great days indeed (Thumb) Backsplice
Think there are plans to convert the "Clock Warehouse" into flats. The rest of the transit sheds are now part of "City Quay", a factory outlet shopping complex.
How Things Change (http://www.cityquay.co.uk/)