Disaster on the Mersey c1970

Aviator2015
16th January 2015, 14:25
Good afternoon all, what a great site -
I'm very happy to have joined you all (love the icons (Thumb) ) I live in Wallasey (second time around !) & I thoroughly enjoy running ( physically) & fishing around the docks/ River Mersey & photographing/videoing the shipping - some of which has gone on to other shipping/ aviation sites. A piece on the Sarsia for NorthWest Air News was enjoyed by all (apparently !)

At the moment I am researching an incident from back in the 70's, when a small craft was outbound on the 7 knot tide.The vessel lost control and crashed into the Royal Iris (Berthed at Wallasey L.S) & subsequently sank in the middle of the Mersey. I recall the boat had links to Carla Lane &, the subsequent loss of life, very sadly, involved her grandchildren. Can anyone confirm or add to these details, I'd be really grateful, as I have searched high & low for info.
Cheers,
Aviator2015

Pompeyfan
16th January 2015, 14:42
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Aviator2015.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help with the information you are seeking. Good luck (Thumb)

Barrie Youde
16th January 2015, 14:57
I can confirm that an incident occurred, broadly as you describe it; but cannot vouch for the accuracy of your detail.

I do recall that it was a summer week-end, strong ebb-tide, tragic accident at Seacombe Stage (not Wallasey stage) and a link to Carla Lane. I can't confirm whether it was a sailing vessel or a motor cruiser; nor the number of lives lost. But it was certainly a tragic accident.

norman.r
16th January 2015, 15:16
It was one of those incidents which you never can forget.
Going on my recollection the motor cruiser had left Alfred Lock
on a strong ebb tide and was unable to avoid being swept down to the south end of Seacombe stage where it was dragged under. As I recall there were no survivors.
Norman

R58484956
16th January 2015, 15:28
Greetings Aviator and welcome to SN. Bon voyage

Compass Rose
16th January 2015, 19:14
As Norman.r has stated, the yacht 'Lady Irene' came out of Alfred which is a challenging river entrance at the best of times. The yacht (with children onboard) was very quickly swept North towards Seacombe stage where she was crushed between the stage and the Mersey Ferry (I think it was the Royal iris) The top of the mast could be seen just north of Seacombe stage the Mersey Mammoth would raised the yacht some time later. Unfortunately, there was loss of life.

Aviator2015
16th January 2015, 19:50
Thanks for your input all - based on your replies I used the keyword Seacombe & actually got somewhere in my search thus proving that this was the right forum to come to (it's taken me years & a lot of work to reach this info (Smoke) )
There are still little bits that I need to confirm (& bits of info that I know regarding passengers - but are to sensitive to release) so onward I go - but meanwhile I'll still look forward to any further (very valuable) input from you guys,
Cheers,
Aviator2015

Aviator2015
16th January 2015, 19:52
Meanwhile, check out the gallery to view one of my vid's on you tube - enjoy : )

Aviator2015
16th January 2015, 20:00
Sorry, I can't post the link - & neither can I upload my vid to the site : (

Any ideas............

montyblue
20th January 2015, 22:35
Good afternoon all, what a great site -
I'm very happy to have joined you all (love the icons (Thumb) ) I live in Wallasey (second time around !) & I thoroughly enjoy running ( physically) & fishing around the docks/ River Mersey & photographing/videoing the shipping - some of which has gone on to other shipping/ aviation sites. A piece on the Sarsia for NorthWest Air News was enjoyed by all (apparently !)

At the moment I am researching an incident from back in the 70's, when a small craft was outbound on the 7 knot tide.The vessel lost control and crashed into the Royal Iris (Berthed at Wallasey L.S) & subsequently sank in the middle of the Mersey. I recall the boat had links to Carla Lane &, the subsequent loss of life, very sadly, involved her grandchildren. Can anyone confirm or add to these details, I'd be really grateful, as I have searched high & low for info.
Cheers,
Aviator2015

Welcome Aviator, like you I'm also a newbie round here and as you say its a great site. I recall that incident but the passage of time actual details fade. You could try Liverpool Central library and their news achieve. If I remember correctly it was sailing to St Tudnos island by Abersoch, Lane owned it, though it obviously never made it. A mate was fishing that day from the old cattle jetties the other side of the Alfred basin and all hell broke lose but there was very little anyone could have done I was told. It was about the time a calor gas explosion happened on a boat in the docks but exactly when that was I can't help. If you find out anything please let us know(Thumb)

Aviator2015
21st January 2015, 13:15
Thanks for your input Monty, that, coupled with all the other info received, paints a very clear picture of what happened on that tragic day. There remains only one outstanding item, & that would be the year. I recalled it as being around 1975, however, during my research I uncovered a book written by Carla Lane entitled "Someday I'll find me". From chapter 17 - The Best of Days - pages 83 to 85, there is an account of how Carla received the bad news, how she reacted &, the aftermath of the incident. During this account, the TV series "Bread" is mentioned in depth & was at it's height of popularity at
the time of the sinking. The first episode was 1986 & the series ended in 1981, so there is an obvious disparity in memory recall for me there !

My memories of the day though are :- getting the ferry back & forth to work in Liverpool & looking at the marker buoy of the location of the wreck, not far from the centre (port side on the ebb) of the channel. Then, a few days later whilst sea fishing a bit further down on the beach, I recovered a childs inflated armband. My immediate thoughts where that it belonged to one of the smaller passengers, ( my comments earlier re: sensitivity & naming have now been desensitized by Carla's account of events - regardless, I prefer you to read it & discover the names/ages yourselves.) so I took it home with the intention of reporting it to the relevant authorities, however, doubt set in & I thought, it could be anyone's : / So I returned it to the sea very soon after, with a short blessing just in case.

I have a few good pictures of HMS Portland & the dutch frigate van Amstel taken from the visit last weekend (what happened to the second dutch ship ?) so I'll bang them on the site as soon as possible)

Aviator2015
21st January 2015, 13:17
Cheers,
Aviator2015

Compass Rose
22nd January 2015, 11:24
Aviator2015, I think you are on the right track in saying the 70's NOT the 80's.

At the time of the sinking, I was a member of a gun club in Liverpool, and remember catching the ferry over to Liverpool to go to the club.

When arriving at the pier head, a large crowd had gathered because a body had been discovered on the mud behind the stage, rumours stated to circulate that it was one of the victims of the yacht disaster. Whether or not that was the case I don't know as I didn't hang around I had a bus to catch.

The year as far as I can remember was 1977.

Barrie Youde
22nd January 2015, 13:01
I am quite certain that it was in the 1970s. I remember where I was when I heard the news. I had been sailing (racing) at West Kirby on that self-same very big tide. I rather think that it was the biggest tide of the year.

It might have been earlier than 1977. But I have not raced at West Kirby since 1979 at the very latest.

montyblue
22nd January 2015, 15:46
I agree it was certainly the 70's possibly as early as 73/74

Aviator2015
23rd January 2015, 12:03
That's a resounding yes for the 70's then (very interesting replies) - if you Google "Lady Irene Carla Lane", you should get the pages from chapter 17 don't blame me though if another book pops up entitled "Irenes' C***, complete with photograph - can't believe what they are selling on Amazon these days !!!) but give it time to load - it's a bit slow as it uploads photos as well, then scroll up to the top page.
My aim now is to Google said dates & see if I can access any archived printed material - not sure if it will get me anywhere though as I have worn my keyboard out for my efforts in the past ! (Newspaper archive sites draw you in - then asks you to pay for access : ( ) Also,a trip into Liverpool city centre to view the microfiche (dare I say that - are they all digital now :/ ) should be in order for next week.
Cheers,
Aviator2015

montyblue
23rd January 2015, 20:32
(Newspaper archive sites draw you in - then asks you to pay for access : ( ) Also,a trip into Liverpool city centre to view the microfiche (dare I say that - are they all digital now :/ ) should be in order for next week.
Cheers,
Aviator2015

See the Curmudgeon thread, newspapers have taken a hammering in there(==D)