Cod fishing fleet support/hospital ship Gil Eannes, 88,5m/1,775gt, built 1914 as LAHNECK, G. Seebeck, Geestemunde, for DDG Hansa, Bremen, for Iberian service; 09/08/1914, due war, she refuged at Lisbon w/ more 73 vessels interned in portuguese ports. On the 23/02/1916, due difficulties and lack of transports. Portugal required the vessels for own use, which was not accepted. Portugal had no other alternative and seized all vessels and Germany declared war to Portugal. She was renamed Gil Eannes and went to the Navy. Her long life as naval and merchant ship, served as cruiser, training/troopship and cargo (TME), but her imp. task was as support/hospital ship for codfishing fleet working in the Grand Banks for medical assistance its fishermen but also to those of other countries. Supply provisions, nets, fishing tackle, fuel, coal, water and support juridical, postal, social, religious and workshop, etc. When homebound she transported stockfish:1927 Portuguese Navy; 1946 SNAB, Lisbon (mgrs);1955 she was replaced by a new building of the same name; 1956 Tetide, Vulcania Srl, Genoa; 05/1960 arrived Vado Ligure for breaking up.
Seen entering Leix§es, just arrived from NewFoundland and Greenland, in the 50s