Federal S.N.'s 1948 Vickers-Armstrongs, Newcastle, built HERTFORD is seen passing Portishead, outbound from Avonmouth exactly fifty years ago, on 30th April 1969.
In 1973 HERTFORD was transferred into P&O's new General Cargo Division but was sold early in 1976 to the Greek Roussos Brothers who traded her as THIA DESPINA until she grounded in August 1977 during a voyage from Karachi to Leghorn (Livorno).
After proceeding to Piraeus to tranship her cargo, arriving on 12th July 1977, she was initially sold for breaking. However she was laid up and, although at some point renamed GEORGHIOS FRANGAKIS, did not leave for breaking until the early 1985. She was beached at Aliaga on 23rd January 1985.