USS RICHARD E. KRAUS (DD-849) was laid down by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, 31 July 1945; launched 2 March 1946; sponsored by Mrs. Edwin Olsen; and commissioned at the Boston Naval Shipyard 23 May 1946, Comdr. R. J. Oliver in command.
An excellent history of the vesselís full service can be found at:
The destroyer remained in service until decommissioned on 1 July 1976, struck the same day and officially transferred to the Republic of Korea through the Security Assistance Program on 23 February 1977. The warship served as Kwang Ju (DD-921) in the South Korean navy until retired 29 December 2000.