Brazilian training ship Almirante Saldanha. She was built at Barrow-in-Furness in 1933 and is one of the most up-to-date ships of her kind. She has a displacement of 3,315 tons, carries all the most modern equipment, and has many unusual features which make her a very interesting vessel.
At first sight she would appear to be a flush-decked ship, but in fact she has a large open well midships with only narrow gangways along the shipís sides, rather like those of the old sailing frigate. In this well there is a large house with its top level with the shipís side, saluting guns, torpedo tube, mine-laying gear and other small fittings. She is of course an auxiliary, and the exhausts from her various motors, as well as the up-take from a small steam boiler, are carried alongside the mainmast.
On top of the house is the wheelhouse and navigating bridge, as well as searchlights, radar and other gear. The majority of the boats are also carried above this house. The gear on the poop and foícísle includes twin 4-inch guns mounted in shields fore and aft, anti-aircraft guns, windlass and many other fittings, with the after control-position just forward of the jigger,