HMS TOREADOR was ordered in June 1917 as part of the second order of Thornycroft S-class destroyer for the Royal Navy. She was laid down in November 1917 and launched on 7 December 1918 and completed in April 1918. She was placed in reserve at HMNB Portsmouth in May 1919
Seeing limited service with the Royal Navy, the ship was loaned to the Royal Canadian Navy in March 1928 becoming HMCS VANCOUVER. The destroyer served in the Canadian Navy primarily as a training vessel until 1936 when the vessel was decommissioned .
She was broken up at Vancouver having arrived in April 1937 at the breakers
Photo is dated between 1923 – 1928 when the vessel carried the pennant number H55
Pennant Number carried by the vessel are:
• HMS TOREADOR …….1919………….…F6A
• HMS TOREADOR……..1920-1923…..??
• HMS TOREADOR……..1923-1928……H55
• HMCS VANCOUVER…1928-1936……D06
S-Class Destroyers Design Notes
When it was realised that reports of new German destroyer armaments had been exaggerated the Controller suggested in February 1917 that destroyer construction should revert to Modified 'R' class. They would be cheaper, faster to build, and 2kts faster. Several improvements were incorporated after consultation with Captains (D) and the various Commands. These included the provision of more TT, a 'trawler' bow or sharply sheered forecastle and a turtleback forecastle. The original proposal for the 450mm TT was for single fixed tubes firing 'cold' torpedoes, but the Admiralty design was given training tubes, which meant that the forecastle plating had to be cut away to allow the tube to train. This made the boats very wet, for the open forecastle permitted spray to be thrown up over the bridge. In the Thornycroft design two tubes were fixed athwartships, firing through a narrow aperture, so the problem was avoided. The torpedoes were fired by the CO, who carried two trailing leads in his pockets, permitting him to fire at targets of opportunity. The Thornycroft boats also carried the forecastle gun on a raised platform, further improving seakeeping. As weight was critical in the Admiralty design it was soon realised that the weight of the single 450mm TT was too much, and the later boats were completed without them, to permit the heavier Mk.V 533mm torpedoes to be carried in the midships TT. In June 1918 Senator was fitted with an aircraft platform aft, allowing an aircraft to takeoff when the destroyer went full speed astern. Orders were placed for 24 boats in April 1917, followed by 33 more in June, but Saturn and Sycamore were cancelled in 1919. Only 19 were completed by the Armistice. The class were completed from April 1918 to October 1919 apart from Shikari and Thracian.