From late-1890's Fiume comes this harbour view with the passenger and cargo ship VENEZIA. Built in 1983 in Scotland, she was bought two years later by ship owner Leopold Schwarz of Fiume, Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1891 Schwarz was one of the founders of the Hungaro-Croatian Shipping Co., better known as Ungaro-Croata, and the VENEZIA was among the first ships to bear the white star funnel marking. The caption of this picture nicely illustrates the polyglot nature of Fiume: Rieka (nowadays spelled Rijeka) is the Croatian name of the city, Riva is Italian for embankment, and Count Szapáry was a 18th-century Hungarian governor of the city. The impressive building in the background are the offices of Royal Hungarian Sea Navigation Co. ”Adria”, nowadays headquarters of Jadrolinija.
Built 1883 at Abercorn S.B. Co., Paisley, Scotland. 1883 ARDGOWAN (two difefrent British owners) . 1885 VENEZIA (Leopold Schwarz, Fiume, Austro-Hungarian Empire), 1891 brought in in Ungaro-Croata, Fiume. 1922 SAVA (Jadranska Plovidba, Susak, Kingdom Yugoslavia). 1928 sold Italy. 1931 sold Greece. 1941 bombed and sunk in Greece as ENOSSIS. For more information see Hungarian Shipregister