Built : Harland and Wolff, Belfast 1925. Gross tonnage: 10,850, length overall 519ft, beam 63ft 3in, draught 26ft. Machinery: quadruple expansion engines, two shafts, 14,000 bhp Speed: 17 kts. Armament : (1940) - 8 x 6in, 2 x 3in, numerous AA. 1943 - 1 x 4in, 2 x 12 pounders, 2 x 2 pounders, 2 x 40mm and 8 x 20mm AA.
Originally built as the Razmak she was bought by the Union Steam Ship Co of NZ and renamed Monowai. She entered NZ service in October 1939 and was commissioned in August 1940 as HMNZS Monowai , Armed Merchant Cruiser (AMC). For two and half years she was employed on patrol transport and escort duties in the Pacificand saw action against a Japanese submarine off Fiji in 1942. She paid off in June 1943 at Liverpool and was refitted as a Landing Ship (Infantry) (LSI). Monowai recommissioned in February 1944 and took part in the Normandy landings. She was returned to her owners in July 1946 and later became well known as one of the last passenger ships on a regular trans-Tasman service. She was scrapped in Hong Kong in 1960.