Ships Nostalgia banner
BARKING

BARKING

BARKING was built in 1928 by Jas Pollock Sons & Co Ltd at Faversham for the Gas Light & Coke Co (Yard No. 1304)
Original engine Bolinder 120bhp hot bulb semi diesel.
BARKING was used at Beckton for the Gas Light and Coke Works until about 1970, then sold on to other users; by 1979 it was at Belsize

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
BARKING was built in 1928 by Jas Pollock Sons & Co Ltd at Faversham for the Gas Light & Coke Co (Yard No. 1304)
Original engine Bolinder 120bhp hot bulb semi diesel.
BARKING was used at Beckton for the Gas Light and Coke Works until about 1970, then sold on to other users; by 1979 it was at Belsize boatyard in Southampton in a derelict state and with all machinery removed.
Ian Woollett purchased this bare hull in 1979 and rebuilding commenced, first at Ferrol Road Boatyard, Gosport and then at his premises in Flaunden. A new scotch boiler was installed and an ex Admiralty Harbour Service Launch engine, compound 8”+ 16” x 8” together with other machinery.
The tug was relaunched at Gosport in September 2004. Sea trials were undertaken in 2005 with a trip to Teignmouth.
BARKING is now part of the VIC 96 Trust and berthed at Chatham.

See also : The VIC 96 Trust

Seen at Chatham Marina on the 7 Nov 2017
 

Media information

Category
Preserved Vessels
Added by
Tim Webb
Date added
View count
58
Comment count
1
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename
Barking(20171107)-03.jpg
File size
702 KB
Date taken
Mon, 20 November 2017 8:58 PM
Dimensions
2000px x 1333px

Share this media

Top