The British Aviator of 1924 was one of 47 ships of between 10,600 & 11,000 dwt built for the British Tanker company between the 1st and 2nd world wars. She was the very first ocean going tanker in the fleet to be motor powered and was completed by Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co. Ltd., Jarrow, on the 12th August 1924. She was originally powered by a Fullagar 6 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine providing 4,925 bhp. built by Palmers. This proved troublesome and she was re-engined in February 1930 with a 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A Doxford oil engine producing 3,435 bhp., built by Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland. Her O/N was 147700, Yard No. 935. 10,762 DWT, 439'10" LBP, Breadth 57'1¼", Summer Draught 33'9½". She was constructed on the Isherwood system of longitudinal framing and had 10 main cargo "holds" with an additional 5 summer tanks on each side. Single pump room between nos. 5 & 6 main oil holds. She survived WWII without damage and continued trading until August 1953 when she was sold to the British Iron & Steel Corp. and allocated to J Cashmore & Co. Ltd. for demolition at Newport. Work commenced in December.