Built as a steamer of 9,134 tons, and completed as the "Empire Wisdom" in 1942 for the Ministry Of War Transport. Her builders were the Greenock Dockyard Company and her layout conformed to the prototype of the Clan Line, in whose fleet there were a number of similar ships.
As the "Empire Wisdom" she was managed by Clan Line until 1944 then Blue Star Line until 1946. They then bought her for their Union Cold Storage Company and renamed her "Royal Star".
She was laid up at Cardiff, for some time after 1959 but in 1961 was transfered to the Blue Star Line and renamed "Caledonia Star". Re-engined at the same time with two M.A.N. diesels of 9,000 b.h.p. the ship was transfered to the UK-North Pacific Trade.