size :14” x 18” oil on canvas /private collection
The scene based on history of Steam Transportation to and from the offshore islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket
In early days the steamers would slow down and pass very close to the lightship and the passengers would roll up newspapers and magazines and toss them to the men on the deck of lightship. In 1936 the winsome practice was ended by order of the Coast Guard after some serious accidents with commercial vessels passing close to lightships. This was done in spite of the fact that none of the island steamers had even scraped the paint from any lightship.
The steamship name is “Nobska’ that plied the waters of Nantucket sound between 1925 and 1973 as a ferry. The lightship name is “Hedge Lightship #49” which was rammed by the Danish freighter s/s “M.C. Holm” and sunk on November 12,1925. She sunk within five minutes of being hit.