Ships Nostalgia banner
DAPHNE (ex-Port Sydney)

DAPHNE (ex-Port Sydney)

10,545 grt; 3,700 dwt; 503 passengers.
Operator: Delian Athina Cruises SA (John C Karras), Piraeus, Greece. Flag: Panama
Built: 1955 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend/Tyne UK. Yard no: 1827.
Propulsion: twin-screws with 2 x six-cylinder, two-stroke, opposed-piston Wallsend Slipway-Doxford 67LBD6 of 13,200 bhp (total) bhp at 112 rpm. Speed: 16 knots. LR/IMO no: 5282627.
Built for Port Line, London as 11,683 grt/14,164 dwt part-refrigerated general cargo ship PORT SYDNEY.
1972-sold to John C Karras, Piraeus, Greece, renamed AKROTIRI EXPRESS (Greek flag).
1972-4-rebuilt as cruise ship by Chalkis Shipyard, Piraeus, renamed DAPHNE.
1979-chartered to Costa Armatori for five years, then purchased by Costa.
1996-renamed SWITZERLAND.
2002-renamed OCEAN ODYSSEY (Panama flag)
2002-renamed OCEAN MONARCH (Portuguese/Madeira flag).
2007-sold to World Cruises Agency, Lisbon, Portugal (Trading as Classic International Cruises). Lisbon, Portugal.
2008-renamed PRINCESS DAPHNE.
This ship is probably the last surviving in the world to be powered by the classic, British-design Doxford marine diesel engine, with two pistons in each cylinder, acting in opposite directions to each other.
Near-sister vessel PRINCESS DANAE (ex-PORT MELBOURNE) is also powered by opposed-piston diesels but these are of Harland & Wolff/Burmeister & Wain design.
Photo: Tilbury Landing Stage October 1976

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
Great photo. She looks almost as good as she did when as the Port Sydney.
She was launched in October 1954 by Mrs Ronald Senior, wife of the then deputy chairman of Port Line.
She was the first vessel of the Port Line to have her anchors fitted into recesses.
 

Media information

Category
Passenger Liners & Cruise Ships
Added by
bobs
Date added
View count
278
Comment count
2
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Top