At the time she was the largest ship built on the Tyne since the the "Mauretania" in 1907. Her propelling machinery consisted of 4 sets of Doxford diesels, two built by Swan hunters and two built by William Doxford & Sons. Each of these developed 8,000 b.h.p. giving a total horsepower of 32,000 b.h.p. with a maximum service speed of 21.5 kts although her normal service speed was about 19.5 kts. On her maiden voyage she broke several records. On the run from Teneriffe to Cape Town she averaged 19.55 kts, from Durban to Fremantle 19.84 kts and from Fremantle to Melbourne 20.04 kts.
A great photo.