Built by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg for Deutsche Ost-Afrika Line and launched as Urundi on 28 July 1920. She was built as a steam turbine merchant of 5791 tons and an 11 knot service speed. In 1939 she was requisitioned by the German Navy and utilized for war work.
She was seized by the Allies at Copenhagen in 1945 and handed to the MOWT who then allocated her management to McCowen and Gross. She was then renamed Empire Thames and chartered to the Greek Government and renamed Kalamai by management team J. P. Hadoulis, Piraeus.
She returned off charter to the MOWT in 1946 and reverted to Empire Thames and McCowen and Gross management.
In 1948 she was sold to Panama and renamed Valparaiso.
The following year she reverted to Empire Thames for one last voyage to the breakers yard at Antwerp where she was scrapped during the first quarter of 1949.
Photograph belongs to Stuart Smith