Ships Nostalgia banner
FLOWERGATE

FLOWERGATE

Bluff NZ
9/11/1957

This was her third and final visit to Bluff, having visited in 1956 and earlier in 1957.
Photograph M Downes

She was on charter to Shaw Savill at the time.

Built 1952 for Turnbull Scott
1964 Amenity
1977 broken up Troon

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
The Flowergate was chartered by Shaw Savill while building in 1952 until June 1958. Her maiden voyage out to Australia with general cargo and home with bulk sugar.
She was originally chartered for the South and East Africa-Mauritius-Australia-New Zealand service, which Shaw Savill were developing at the time but when this ceased in 1956 through lack of support she was placed on their UK Australasian service.
Her first visit to New Zealand was in May 1953 when she loaded wool for Hull, London and Liverpool.She also came to New Zealand in 1954 when on the South African run. If the above photograph was taken in 1957 then she would have arrived in New Zealand with a large cargo molasses loaded in Maruritius for the manufacture of cattle foods in New Zealand.
The Flowergate was a motor ship powered by a four-cylinder Kincaid-B&W diesel developing 3,300 bhp. She had no refrigerated space but a hold capacity of 534,000 cubic feet for general cargo.
 

Media information

Category
Cargo vessels
Added by
TORRENS
Date added
View count
413
Comment count
1
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Top