Ships Nostalgia banner
HMS TYRIAN

HMS TYRIAN

<b>HMS TYRIAN as the post war Type 16 Frigate</b>
<u>History</u>
T-Class Fleet Destroyer ordered from Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson in March 1941 with other ships of the 8th Emergency Flotilla. The ship was laid down on 15th October 1941, launched on 27th July 1942 and completed on 8th April 1943.
Details for World War II service see Naval History Net, see the attached link
https://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-10DD-57T-HMS_Tyrian.htm
HMS TYRIAN returned to UK after a visit to Melbourne with HUNDINE in February 1946. She was reduced to Reserve status at Harwich after arrival on 30th May that year. Transferred to the Reserve Fleet at Chatham in 1949 she laid-up there until 1951 when the ship was converted to a Type 16 Anti-Submarine Frigate at Liverpool.
On completion in 1952 she served with the 2nd Training Flotilla at Portland and attended the Coronation Review at Spithead in June 1953 with the Squadron. In September 1953 during NATO Exercise MARINER she ran aground on Haisborough Sands. Again reduced to Reserve in November 1956 she was initially laid-up at Chatham but transferred to Lisahally, Northern Ireland in 1957. Placed on the Disposal List in 1965 she arrived in tow at the Breaker’s in Troon, Ayrshire for demolition on 9th March 1965.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Royal Navy Ships
Added by
Tim Webb
Date added
View count
314
Comment count
0
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Top