Ships Nostalgia banner
Mecklenburg

·
Banned
Joined
·
25 Posts
She was built for the night service of the Zeeland Steamship Company (De Stoomvart Maatschappij "Zeeland") in 1922 by de Schelde at Flushing to replace a ship of the same name lost in WWI. The Fairfield drawings of the original ship were apparently used in the construction. Fairfield had been approached to build two sisterships, but delivery could not be guaranteed in the post war building rush.
First on the Flushing-Folkestone service, the English terminal changed to Harwich in 1927 and after WWII the service was originally from the Hook of Holland, later reverting to Flushing.
She was scrapped in 1960, her sistership, 'Prinses Juliana', being a war loss in 1940.
The ships were unusual as they were not turbine powered as were most of the cross channel ships of the period, but had reciprocating machinery.
2,907GT, 350' x 43', twin screw, 4exp, 22 knots.
 

Media information

Category
Ferries
Added by
NicoRos
Date added
View count
280
Comment count
2
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Top