A quadruple expansion steam tanker of 11 knot service speed built by Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Co. Ltd., Hebburn-on-Tyne and launched on 28 March 1918 for Anglo-American Oil Co. Ltd., London.
On 5 June 1940 she was sailing as part of Convoy OA-172 on voyage Fawley to Aruba and under the command of Master Vernon Horace Alcock. At 15.51 hours she was hit by one torpedo fired from U-51 about 270 miles west-southwest of Lands End and was immediately abandoned by her crew. At 17.37 hours the U-boat surfaces and tried to sink the crippled ship by gunfire. This failed to achieve the desired result so a coup-de-grace finally sank her at 19.15 hours.
Four crew members were lost in the original strike while the master and 30 crew members were picked up by HMS Hurricane and landed at Plymouth. Nine crew members were picked up by the British trawler Caliph and landed at Berehaven, County Cork.
U-51 did not survive the war as she was sunk on 20 August 1940 in the Bay of Biscay, west of Nantes, France by a torpedo from the British submarine HMS Cachalot. All of her 43 crew was lost.
Photograph belongs to Stuart Smith