A serious mechanical breakdown accured in June 1957 when she became disabled some 570 miles from New Zealand when a fracture was discovered in the high pressure cylinder of her main engine.
She was taken in tow by the "Port Macquarie" and later the "HMNZS Stawell" arrived on the scene from Auckland.
Towards the end of the seven day tow tempory repairs were completed by the engineers of the "Captain Hobson" and the tow speed was increased to 6 kts.
In December 1958 she was sold to P.D. Marchessini and Company (a London Greek) but she was not placed in service and was later sold to Japanese breakers and arrived in Osaka for demolishing in March 1959.