Launched on 28 August 1942 by William Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland as Harpagus for J and C Harrison Ltd., London.
She was purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. during November 1942. She was taking part in the aftermath of the D-Day landings when she struck a mine 1 ½ miles off the west breakwater, Arromanches Harbour, France. She was carrying military stores from Southend and broke in two. The fore-part sank and the after-part was beached. It was later re-floated and towed to Southampton where the remaining stores were discharged. She was taken under tow to the River Tyne and arrived on 1 December 1944 after an eventful tow which included grounding in the Thames Estuary.
A new fore part was ordered and launched during May 1946 when it was fitted to the original after part. The ship was then renamed Treworlas and served the company until she was transferred to P and O Steam Navigation Company in 1956. She returned to The Hain Steamship Company during 1958 and on 1 June 1960 she grounded on Madira reef in the Persian Gulf. She was re-floated and sailed under her own steam to Falmouth where she was deemed a CTL.
She was sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation for scrap and arrived in tow at Briton ferry on 21 September 1960 when demolition commenced.
Photograph belongs to Stuart Smith.
Copyright J Clarkson, Preston.