USS Albany was one of the Navy's last heavy cruisers (8-inch guns). She was laid down during WW-II but saw no action because she was not completed until 1946. Between 1959 and 1962 she became the tenth in a series of outdated gun-armed cruisers to be converted into state-of-the-art guided-missile cruisers. In the case of USS Albany, the transformation was much more extensive than in most of the others, as it included the installation of tall combined masts-and-smoke stacks, known as "macks". Although the ship appeared to be very top-heavy, the tall superstructure was composed mostly of aluminum, and the "macks" were actually covered with plastic. In 1969 USS Albany shot down a Mig over North Vietnam at a range of 48 miles. Between 1976 and 1980 she served as flagship of the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean, and the photo above was probably taken during that period. The cruiser was decommissioned in 1980 and finally scrapped in 1990.