[b]Photograph picked up at a collector’s fair. Details written on the back note that photograph was taken in Kiel in 1958.
The leading ships are noted as HNLMS VAN ZIJLL (F811) with German destroyer ZI on the other side of the quay.[/b]
[u]HNLMS VAN ZIJLL (F811)[/u]
USS Stern (DE-187)
Class: Cannon-class destroyer escort
Complement: 15 Officers and 201 Enlisted
Displacement: 1240 tons
Length: 306 feet
Beam: 36 feet 8 inches
Range: 10 800 Nautical Miles
USS Stern (DE-187) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort built for the United States Navy during World War II.
The ship was laid down on 12 August 1943 by the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Newark, New Jersey; launched on 31 October 1943; and, commissioned on 1 December 1943.
After WWII service USS Stern (DE-187) was placed in reserve, out of commission, on 26 April 1946 and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Florida.
USS Stern was reactivated on 1 March 1951, and with five other destroyer escorts, transferred under the Military Assistance Program to the government of the Netherlands. Stern was struck from the Navy List on 7 March 1951.
She served the government of the Netherlands as HNLMS Van Zijll (F811) until she was returned to the custody of the United States Navy in 1967. In 1968, Stern was sold to Simons Scheepssloperij N.V., Rotterdam, and scrapped.
[u]FGS ZERSTÖRER 1 (Z 1)[/u]
USS Anthony (DD 515)
Class : Fletcher class destroyer
Built by : Bath Iron Works (Bath, Maine, U.S.A.)
Laid down : 17 Aug 1942
Launched : 20 Dec 1942
Commissioned : 26 Feb 1943
Decommissioned : 17 April 1946.
During 1958-60 6 Fletcher class destroyers were transferred to Germany under the post war Military Assistance Program (MDAP). The destroyers did not receive German names. Before being handed over the vessels were modernised with revised weapons systems (Z1 loss one - 5” gun) and new electronics and German command systems.
[u]Service with Bundesmarine [/u]
Transferred to West Germany on 17 January 1958 being renamed Z-1.
Z-1 was stricken in 1976.
Sunk as a target in the Mediterranean on 16 May 1979.