Vauquelin belonged to the T 47 (Surcouf) class were the first destroyers built for the French Navy after the Second World War. Twelve ships were built between 1955 and 1957. The ships were modernised in the 1960s and decommissioned in the 1980s when they were replaced by Georges Leygues class frigates
The ships were designed as fleet escorts rather than for independent operations therefore had a slower speed than their predecessors. The main guns were a French design firing a 127mm (5 inch) shell, which enabled them to use US ammunition.
Displacement: 2750 tons standard, 3740 tons full load
Length: 128.6 m
Beam: 12.7 m
Draught: 5.4 m
Machinery: 2 shaft geared turbines, 4 boilers, 63,000 hp
Speed: 34 knots
Range: 5000 nmi at 18 knots
6 - 127mm guns (3 twin turrets)
6 - 57mm guns (3 twin turrets)
4 - 20mm guns (4x1)
12 - 550mm torpedo tubes (4x3)
Vauquelin was refitted to concentrate on ASW mission. To this purpose, she was fitted with the Malafon (ASROC) system and towed sonar array on the stern, along with a change in her armament. She was homeported at Brest, the Vauquelin had the task of protecting the transit of French SSBNs and sea lanes of communication
2 100mm guns
2 20mm guns
6 torpedo-launchers (12 torpedoes)
1 Malafon (ASROC) system with 13 missiles
1 ASW 305mm rocket launcher.
She was decommissioned in 1986.