Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Brocklebank Line (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=295)
-   -   Bit of fun. (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=286959)

Philthechill 24th August 2018 11:28

Bit of fun.

More-and-more Call Centres seem to have Indian females answer the 'phone when you call. (I then have a bit of fun with them at the end of my call!)

After I have got the answer to my query I ask the 'handler' where they come from in India.

They will volunteer the info. I've requested at which point I'll say, "Acha! Boht teek hai! Shuckria. (My spellings are, doubtless, incorrect, they are more the phonetic "sound"), at which point, if they understand Bengali, you will hear a giggle and a surprised, "You speak our language!".

I then have to confess that the above is about the sum-total of my linguistic ability!

Try it-----especially if you're a bit more 'fluent' than me! Salaams, Phil

trotterdotpom 24th August 2018 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philthechill (Post 2942127)
More-and-more Call Centres seem to have Indian females answer the 'phone when you call. (I then have a bit of fun with them at the end of my call!)

After I have got the answer to my query I ask the 'handler' where they come from in India.

They will volunteer the info. I've requested at which point I'll say, "Acha! Boht teek hai! Shuckria. (My spellings are, doubtless, incorrect, they are more the phonetic "sound"), at which point, if they understand Bengali, you will hear a giggle and a surprised, "You speak our language!".

I then have to confess that the above is about the sum-total of my linguistic ability!

Try it-----especially if you're a bit more 'fluent' than me! Salaams, Phil

Funny thing is half of them are doctors but they make more money being pests on the phone.

John T

ART6 24th August 2018 15:32

I find that the best defence against these people, who are always from Microsoft Support telling me about a problem they have detected with my computer (an iMac!), or those from Vodafone worried about problems with my broadband, is that with my noise-induced hearing loss I mostly can't understand a word they are saying in their fractured Calcutta English. "What? What? Can't understand you. Do you speak English? Who the f... are you anyway?"

Click! (Thumb)

Philthechill 24th August 2018 16:11

Whoops!

I should have been a bit more explicit!

I'm on BT for my 'phone/computer etc.

One of the Services they have is 'BT IT Help'.

Unfortunately it's not free and costs around 8 per Month.

However that eight quid, to me, is money well-spent as, whatever problem I may be having, after I've contacted them they will 'take-over' the computer.

Watching the cursor whizzing all-over the screen, with programmes opening, altering, (maybe a timer or similar), then closing in a trillionth of the time I would have taken to find the first key on the keyboard is totally fascinating!!

Then, after they've (always!), sorted everything out, they 'hand' the computer back to me.

THAT'S what happened yesterday!

I'd contacted the 'Help Line' and, to my great surprise, it was an Indian memsahb answered. She was my 'Helper'!

Initially I was a bit p****d-off as I thought, "What the f**k would an Indian female know about computers?", (The old 'Colonial' in me kicking-off!). Then I realised how stupid I was being, calmed-down and 'handed' the computer over.

After she'd worked her 'magic' and sorted my problem out I asked where she was based, expecting to hear "Bombay", "Delhi", "Kolkata", (as 'Cal' is now called), or "Hyderabad" etc. etc. only to be told "Newcastle"----big surprise!

THEN I launched into my smattering of Hindi to her great amusement!

Good fun though! Phil

Philthechill 28th August 2018 15:18

Ho-hum-----

-----THIS idea went-down like the proverbial lead balloon!

Under the Form Masters "Summing-up" of many moons ago I would have got a terse, "Must try harder next Term" at the end of my "Report".

I'll get me coat. Phil