Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   News and Views from the Shipping World (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   HMS Queen Elizabeth's Captain sacked ! (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=293395)

stevekelly10 17th May 2019 18:21

HMS Queen Elizabeth's Captain sacked !

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartanntp

Punishment seems a bit harsh !

Ron Stringer 17th May 2019 19:02

Hope that the same 'standards' are to be applied to MPs and members of the House of Lords.

OilJiver 17th May 2019 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevekelly10 (Post 2984019)
..Punishment seems a bit harsh !

Guess you reckon a bit more to it than meets the eye maybe Steve...?

Varley 17th May 2019 20:05

Perhaps an HR ploy to shoo-in a foot to an already filled boot?

CSM register had a 'company' car from the pool to do his afternoon with us at CCF. He as allowed the use of it until convenient to return to the pool. Parking 'illegally' was only countenanced if on HM's business. If for a packet of cigarettes it was a Court Martial offence if discovered. 'Manager' was a rank obtained mainly for the privilege of a company car. Whenever a ship in management called nearby they all found an excuse to visit - something to do with mileage on business. I wonder if he had declared it as a benefit-in-kind?Else maybe a UK tax issue?

stevekelly10 17th May 2019 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilJiver (Post 2984023)
Guess you reckon a bit more to it than meets the eye maybe Steve...?

I could understand it, if he took the carrier on a private Caribbean cruise ! But taking the car to go home. No !

OilJiver 17th May 2019 21:33

Agreed. (Peculiar smell……)

spongebob 18th May 2019 02:27

I read somewhere that the Royal Navy has 44 ships in commission and 44 Admirals. Reduction of staffing levels clearly needed so why not a witch hunt for anyone stepping out of line . Saves expensive redundancy payouts and other compensations.

Bob

trotterdotpom 18th May 2019 07:03

Wonder what [email protected] dobbed him in? He should have taken a helicopter and made it worth while.

John T

Duncan112 18th May 2019 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varley (Post 2984027)
Perhaps an HR ploy to shoo-in a foot to an already filled boot?

CSM register had a 'company' car from the pool to do his afternoon with us at CCF. He as allowed the use of it until convenient to return to the pool. Parking 'illegally' was only countenanced if on HM's business. If for a packet of cigarettes it was a Court Martial offence if discovered. 'Manager' was a rank obtained mainly for the privilege of a company car. Whenever a ship in management called nearby they all found an excuse to visit - something to do with mileage on business. I wonder if he had declared it as a benefit-in-kind?Else maybe a UK tax issue?

Be interesting to see if they shared a car and each claimed individual mileage?

FWIW my thoughts on it are (posted by me on a fb group):

Without wishing to defend misuse of Government assets might I offer an alternative scenario. In the private sector the two easiest ways of obtaining a dismissal that can be successfully defended at the resulting tribunal is misuse of computers and expense fiddling- both are frequently used to sack people when the real reason for dismissal is otherwise (frequently ones face not fitting). There would appear a level of disquiet in the services currently, perhaps Captain Cook-Priest was about to make waves regarding the future of these two behemoths and needed to be silenced. Just a thought....

seaman38 18th May 2019 08:57

Seems very petty and possibly a bean counter with a vendetta, surely it is a 'Reprimand Offense' rather than a dismissal. We are, according to reports, short of RN personnel, but as said by some earlier maybe be some underlying facts we are not been made aware of, but it seems a waste of a lot of experience and loyalty.

Cannot believe it is just expenses as have been an M O D Approved Contractor, there is more money wasted than just the misuse of a car.

gypcoll 18th May 2019 09:23

I always think i would like to know the full facts, there will no doubt another part to the story, and we are as usual being fed the part they don't mind us knowing. Just my thoughts on it

Varley 18th May 2019 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan112 (Post 2984063)
Be interesting to see if they shared a car and each claimed individual mileage?

FWIW my thoughts on it are (posted by me on a fb group):

Without wishing to defend misuse of Government assets might I offer an alternative scenario. In the private sector the two easiest ways of obtaining a dismissal that can be successfully defended at the resulting tribunal is misuse of computers and expense fiddling- both are frequently used to sack people when the real reason for dismissal is otherwise (frequently ones face not fitting). There would appear a level of disquiet in the services currently, perhaps Captain Cook-Priest was about to make waves regarding the future of these two behemoths and needed to be silenced. Just a thought....

To share when there was tax to be saved? Nelly negative!

Agree something more to it.

CEYLON220 18th May 2019 13:43

My days in the RN (50s)the Captain in cruisers had a jeep on board for attending functions ashore driven by a Rating, never heard of one going on visits to his home using a jeep but agree it was petty to sack the guy for using the car in this way, at least he paid the petrol bill for this use.

slick 18th May 2019 14:06

All,
I suspect there is an element of upsetting a person somewhere in his past career, no doubt all will be revealed in the very near future....come on the "Free" press where are you now you're needed?
Yours aye,
slick

Farmer John 18th May 2019 15:08

I have an awful vision of him unloading case after case of Spam from the boot of car. It's just my mind, sorry.

Davie M 18th May 2019 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypcoll (Post 2984067)
I always think i would like to know the full facts, there will no doubt another part to the story, and we are as usual being fed the part they don't mind us knowing. Just my thoughts on it

I agree with you on your thoughts. He has upset somebody somewhere.
Davie

Stephen J. Card 18th May 2019 16:47

A career and probably a wealth of knowledge and ability has been thrown away over a silly 'offence' and probably nothing like the MOD civil servants and Minister!

OilJiver 18th May 2019 16:48

My understanding is that he is being re-assigned elsewhere? Whatever, to be removed from post is a big big deal and his career is stuffed.

Someone somewhere, has a big sad on about something, for sure.

spongebob 18th May 2019 21:22

In my observations of the RNZN during my time was that the Commodore of HMNZ Philomel had a chauffeur driven Humber Super Snipe but other ranks made do with the beat up old Fords with Wren drivers except the Base Pardre .
He had a reasonable new Ford V8 to travel around his parish which took in many naval housing estates.
At one time during a wide reaching waterfront labour strike sugar became gold as we used treacle , honey , anything to get that sweet kick and came the day when the Naval Vicar was stopped at the security gates while leaving the Base for a routine check and two 70 lbs sacks of sugar were found in his boot.
His comment , "Oh those boys have been playing tricks on me again" brought total forgiveness from all powers without question.

Bob

Peter Eccleson 19th May 2019 09:02

What a load of absolute claptrap! Someone clearly had it in for him.

Dartskipper 19th May 2019 09:58

Dumb question I expect, but what is the point of providing the Captain with a car, if he can't use it? I am allowed to use my company car for personal reasons, provided that I pay for the fuel that I use. I am taxed by HMRC for the use of the car as a "benefit in kind." The MOD need to move forward a couple of Centuries.

Varley 19th May 2019 12:41

That would be the front runner on the conspiracy theory front, Peter, but then this has the aroma of 'management' and 'management' is seldom able enough to conspire.

trotterdotpom 21st May 2019 03:16

Next thing they'll be saying the moon landing was done in a film studio.

John T

vicki_ 21st May 2019 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by trotterdotpom (Post 2984329)
Next thing they'll be saying the moon landing was done in a film studio.

John T

Already done decades ago I believe.

seaman38 21st May 2019 09:03

Ah! Well! according to the Press the unfortunate Captain has been sent up to Rosyth to 'Drive' the 'boat' back to Portsmouth. Gawd almighty from their shipping correspondent