Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   News and Views from the Shipping World (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Cruise ship 'Costa Concordia' aground - merged threads (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=42791)

Iangb 14th January 2012 02:01

Cruise ship 'Costa Concordia' aground - merged threads

1 Attachment(s)
'4000' crew and passengers evacuated...after a reported 'electrical fault'.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-aground.html

dave beaumont 14th January 2012 04:15

Just watching news here in melbourne and report from crew member via twitter says she has rolled on her side!

Ferry Man 14th January 2012 06:57

Theres a Photo on the Giglio News that show her capsized. I've posted it in the Gallery.

Cisco 14th January 2012 07:24

Given all the modern rules regarding passenger ship subdivision, stability, etc etc etc... am I the only one here whose gast is flabbered....?

Looks just like the loss of Wahine(2) but favoured with good weather....

Ferry Man 14th January 2012 07:33

I know what you mean Cisco, It should not happen. Maybe it can show how unstable the Cruise ships can be? It would be good to get more information about this disaster.

borderreiver 14th January 2012 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco (Post 566318)
Given all the modern rules regarding passenger ship subdivision, stability, etc etc etc... am I the only one here whose gast is flabbered....?

Looks just like the loss of Wahine(2) but favoured with good weather....

Looking at the tv Photos very large open spaces. Is she driven with elec pods. If so should have good subdivision.Were the water tight doors left open,

Hugh Wilson 14th January 2012 08:16

I think you must have meant to say 'pods' as opposed to 'prods' which I must admit are often used to get things moving.

cryan 14th January 2012 08:49

She should have been able to cross flood all tanks and compartments to keep upright. Water Tight Doors are usually arranged down the centre line of the lower decks beneath the watertight deck so even if open should not affect port and starboard stability only fore and aft. I presume she was only coming in to anchor at the time. Should they noot have dropped the picks when they blacked out? If she is rudders and not pods the steering gear should run off emergency power. If pods, then I think we will see a decline in podded cruise ships and a sharp rise in Tug hires by cruise ship companies as even dead ship if you have tugs attached you should run aground.

Iangb 14th January 2012 09:05

Some later reports say that the power failed after she struck..not before. I've also seen accounts of a 30 metre tear in the hull. (Another said '165 feet', but that seems a bit too precise to be credible)

jaguar06 14th January 2012 09:08

My gast is flabbered, too, Cisco. Brings back memories of that other Italian that raised all sorts of questions about stability and cross-flooding, etc 55 years ago. And half again more than Normandie to right sounds like much even in this day and age. I can't say I've haven't expected just this sort of event among all those modern highrises built so much taller than wide.

Blackal 14th January 2012 09:10

I understand that during drills and emergencies - announcements are given first in Italian, followed by German, French and then, lastly, English.

Can't see that policy contributing to effective crowd control :(

Al

quietman 14th January 2012 09:26

Apparently she had left port a couple of hours earlier so what she was doing so close to the island will take some explaining. But the worse thing about this is the instability of these cruise ships has been questioned for years.
Regards Derrick

Varley 14th January 2012 10:05

If 'electrical' fault caused the incident then 'electrical' was being used to sail too close to land but would have thought that no misleading instrumentation could have 'hidden' brightly lit town in the centre of which they obviously nearly were.

Does anyone have an AIS plot and if so does it show her in the correct position?

Do the damage stability rules and associated procedures hold good if she is actually touching the bottom?

David V

Binnacle 14th January 2012 10:08

The operators of large modern cruise ships have followed Jack Cohen's advice "stack em high and sell them cheap". Unfortunately those of us who question the risk to passengers and crew on these multideck ships are subjected to scorn.

NoR 14th January 2012 10:15

State of the art bridge, silent but for the hum of air-conditioning and dark but for the glow from plasma screens and LEDs.....AKA Fools' Paradise, then there was a sudden Real World Intrusion (RWI). We're going to see more and more of this.

ALLAN WILD 14th January 2012 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackal (Post 566338)
I understand that during drills and emergencies - announcements are given first in Italian, followed by German, French and then, lastly, English.

Can't see that policy contributing to effective crowd control :(

Al

Your right there Blackal, they always give out information in at least 4 language's before it is given in English.
But not just for emergencies and drills, any thing !!
Was on a Costa cruise a year or so ago, cheap and cheerful.

Cisco 14th January 2012 10:34

Seeing as it was an Italian ship and most of the punters were Italian, French and German... makes sense to me....

They say we all panic in our native tongue...

bobw 14th January 2012 10:36

She sailed on Friday 13th?

bobharrison2002 14th January 2012 10:37

From the Telegraph article

The Costa Crociera company, which operates the seven-day Mediterranean cruise, said there were 1,000 Italians on the ships as well as 500 Germans and around 150 French people but could not confirm whether any Britons were among the evacuated.

JohnMac068 14th January 2012 10:44

Electrical power failure must have been after grounding, although langb's thumbnail shows all the lights blazing, probably failed as the list increased. BBC Breakfast stated that they tried to beach the vessel on the islands breakwater, hoping to get all the passengers of safely, but the list hampered that idea. Can just imagine how it must have been. Eye witnesses all seem to be crew members so far !

Cisco 14th January 2012 10:45

An interesting photo here.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910
that is a seriously big hole......

Varley 14th January 2012 10:51

NoR,

RWI - Not heard that one before - lovely!

I agree with you entirely but will have to be Titanic II before anything will be done.

David V

Jocko 14th January 2012 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco (Post 566370)
An interesting photo here.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910
that is a seriously big hole......

The idiots must have been doing a fair bunch of knots to make a hole that size. Someone will end up in prison over this. You wouldn`t get me on of those floating skyscrapers, even for a free trip.(Cloud)

Cisco 14th January 2012 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoR (Post 566352)
.... then there was a sudden Real World Intrusion (RWI).

That as I recall was an issue with the Wahine,,,.. the fully enclosed wheelhouse meant that the master didn't appreciate quite how bad the weather really was....

jaguar06 14th January 2012 11:19

Looking at a cutaway drawing, it looks like the hole would be right at the engine room, which would be one of the largest spaces between watertight bulkheads. Bad luck on that, setting aside bad navigation.