Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Ship Research (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=353)
-   -   Empress Of Scotland Lifeboats? (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=21341)

LizzieNo1 21st September 2008 00:01

Empress Of Scotland Lifeboats?

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a little information. On the very few colour photo's that I have seen, the Empress Of Scotland seems to have very dark (near black) lifeboats.

I am a little confuddled by this. Are lifeboats to a safety standard of light/white colour, so as to be spotted easy? I'm probably stating the obvious, but the dark colour of Empress Of Scotland lifeboats seems odd.

Or, is there another straight forward answer?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Lizzie

K urgess 21st September 2008 00:39

Probably wooden ones.
They weren't necessarily all painted white. Depends on the age.

Cheers
Kris

LizzieNo1 21st September 2008 00:59

Ah! Thank you very much Kris.

Regards
Lizzie

joebuckham 21st September 2008 10:35

hi lizzie
seem to remember, when a cadet, scraping and re-varnishing wooden lifeboats in the thistledhu in the fifties

b rgds

Peggy747 21st September 2008 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieNo1 (Post 248839)
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a little information. On the very few colour photo's that I have seen, the Empress Of Scotland seems to have very dark (near black) lifeboats.

I am a little confuddled by this. Are lifeboats to a safety standard of light/white colour, so as to be spotted easy? I'm probably stating the obvious, but the dark colour of Empress Of Scotland lifeboats seems odd.

Regards
Lizzie

The Lifeboats in The "Empress of Scotland" were "Diagonal Built" in timber , they were varnished and this is why from a distance they do seem black but in fact were brown, as a boy I sailed in her and I was often sent to help the "Lifeboat Deck man" who's job was to continualy maintain the boats in top order, in very cold weather a wooden stick was put into the water tanks to stop freezing and the lids of same left off.

Regards
Peter

LizzieNo1 21st September 2008 21:12

Thank you very much gentlemen. Excellent, I appreciate taking up your time in answering my odd question.

Regards
Paul (Lizzie)

lgrania02 26th November 2008 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieNo1 (Post 248839)
Hi folks,

Regards
Lizzie

I believe the life boats were varnished wood. I served on the Empress of Scotland, very briefly, in 1958 (I think!!). There is a beautiful model of her in the Museum of Transport in Glasgow. If I could figure out how to post a picture on Ships Nostalgia I would do!!

lgrania02 27th November 2008 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgrania02 (Post 268542)
I believe the life boats were varnished wood. I served on the Empress of Scotland, very briefly, in 1958 (I think!!). There is a beautiful model of her in the Museum of Transport in Glasgow. If I could figure out how to post a picture on Ships Nostalgia I would do!!

I have, I think, uploaded two pictures of the Empress of Scotland, one of which is under the heading of Lifeboats, don't ask me how I did it, but it is there!!.

LizzieNo1 27th November 2008 10:05

Thank you very much lgrania02. I have already made good use of the information provided on this thread. The drawing that I undertook has been completed, and uploaded to SN Maritime Gallery.

Regards
Lizzie