Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Member, Geoff Dunn (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=250905)

GeoffDunn 21st December 2017 16:18

New Member, Geoff Dunn

I'm new, and having some problems trying to work out how to use the site. Anyway, I'm in my 60s and have always been interested in ships going back to my childhood when I lived on Merseyside. A number of my relatives were in the Royal and Merchant Navies. I've just been clearing out my late mother's house, and have found a photo of my grandfather and some of his shipmates on HMS Hercules, dating back to 1918/19. He was only 20 years old and was a Stoker 1st Class. He was too young for Jutland, but was there at the Firth of Forth when the German Navy surrendered. As you all know it's the centenary next year, and a lot is being arranged by a group based at South Queensferry, which is at the south end of the Forth bridges. Coincidentally, I now live near the Forth. I have tried to post the photo, but it's too large. A shame as 500 kB is a bit too small for many photos, particularly when scanned, and there could well be viewers who may recognise their grand and great grandfathers.

makko 21st December 2017 19:25

Hi Geoff,
Welcome aboard! After you have scanned the photo, open it in Paint and resize. I find that 1024x728 works well for the gallery.
Rgds. from a former Wallasey lad,
Dave

John Dryden 21st December 2017 20:04

It is easy now in Windows 10 without using third party software.
Without opening the photo just right click on the file and from the list choose resize and away you go.
The resized pic will be in the same folder ready to go.

GeoffDunn 21st December 2017 21:13

Iím a Mac user, so Windows canít help! Iím sure there is a way, itís just that Iíve never had to use it before. Iíve been able to enhance the photo a bit, so the guys at either end on the back row now look human rather than looking like ghosts. I suspect all the guys were stokers, as they all look worn out - Hercules was a coal fired ship. And yes Dave, my grandad and I are both former Wallasey lads.

My great-uncle was on the Hood and didn't survive its encounter with the Bismarck, though only 3 of them did. Iíve been to TromsÝ fjord in Norway to see where Tirpitz was sunk. Standing on the very simple platform memorial there made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

DeepSeaDiver 22nd December 2017 00:38

Hi Geoff, welcome...

billyboy 22nd December 2017 02:42

A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer