Ships Nostalgia

Ships Nostalgia (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php)
-   Other Companies/Ships (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=351)
-   -   Kuwait Shipping Co (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=12080)

Peter Martin 12th June 2007 09:26

Kuwait Shipping Co

Anybody here sail with KSCo? I did one trip with them as 3rd Mate in 1974. Mate was a splendid chap named Peter Everett. He later gained command with them and appeared in a national newspaper after rescuing a boatload of Vietnamese boat people in the S China Sea.

Janner100 13th June 2007 21:25

I had an interview lined up with KSC in 1974 but chose instead to sail with SSM (mistake as it turned out)

baileysan 18th June 2007 21:36

Ksc

Peter

Posted reply some time ago, seems it never got through for some reason.
I sailed and worked ashore with UASC(KSC) for 20 years. Knew Peter Everitt very well indeed, he sailed Master for some years until unfortunatly the company changed over to Indian Officers.

rothesian 18th June 2007 21:56

seem to remember a Norman Bolland Ex-Blue Flue 2nd mate who was warden at Aulis after Len Holder going to KSC around 1967/68 as either Marine super or personnel

Charlie_Wood 18th June 2007 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janner100 (Post 132979)
I had an interview lined up with KSC in 1974 but chose instead to sail with SSM (mistake as it turned out)

I had an interview with them in 1976, where they scoffed that whilst the vessel I was on, Clan Alpine, was the newest cargo ship in our fleet it was older than all of theirs.

Whilst working my notice on that voyage I thought I might as well write to all the companies that were advertising. I ended up with Harrisons(Clyde)(the best move I ever made!!!).

Peter Martin 19th June 2007 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothesian (Post 134202)
seem to remember a Norman Bolland Ex-Blue Flue 2nd mate who was warden at Aulis after Len Holder going to KSC around 1967/68 as either Marine super or personnel

Another refugee from Aulis was Jim Turner, Assitant Warden who also went to KSC as Marine Personnel wallah.

Moulder 25th September 2007 17:38

Anyone remember Satchiko?

Does anyone remember Satchiko? - I think she was a mature student (learning English) who used to come aboard KSC ships in Yokohama with her photo albums.
She would set out her photos, usually in the bar, for all to peruse and maybe see yourself a few trips back, or recognise old shipmates. "Satch" would also paint portraits and cut hair - when invited down to the saloon for a meal (which was often) she'd go through the complete menu - salad as well as the main course.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

baileysan 25th September 2007 21:47

Satchiko

Steve

Memories. I remember her very well, she was part of the fittings in Yokohama for many years. In fact i have some photos of her somewhere.
Many guys tried to romance her but to my knowledge no one suceeded.
As you say she was there for the food!!
I met her when i was ashore with UASC again in Yokohama, she was alway made welcome by Tokyo Office guys, last I heard was she married.

Happy days.

Moulder 26th September 2007 17:19

Hi Tom,

Thought that would get you up from the engine room!

I was sorting through a few things and came across a water colour portrait "Satch" did of me - must have been when on Al Ahmadiah.

What a character she was - glad to hear she's spliced.

Happy Days indeed!

Steve.
(Thumb)

johnclement 27th March 2008 16:18

I sailed with Kuwait Shipping (shortly to become United Arab Shipping Co) from 1976 to 1980 as Purser/Chief Steward - Ibn Bassam, Ibn Duraid, Al Salehiah, etc (see my profile) --- any memories of that period would be welcome.

John Clement

candpet 6th April 2008 11:22

my one memory of chief stewards in ksc is that they thought it was thier money they were spending,although in fairness most of them were ok.
does anyone remember a guy called peter porter?i think he went to work ashore in kuwait.
what ever happened to all the people who worked for them.
i sailed on loads of the old ships,ahmadiah,salamiah,mubarakiah,those were the days,six weeks at anchor in mauritius.
interesting reading.keep it going

candpet 7th April 2008 19:51

baileysan

hows maureen?still drinking her tea out of a china cup?
how many people know that?
what do you do with yourself in retirement?

guess who

JimC 7th April 2008 20:19

Does anyone rememebr a chap named Norman Hodder?

baileysan 7th April 2008 21:31

Candpet

nice to hear from you but still guessing. Have sent you private message.

Peter Fielding 7th April 2008 21:49

Did my last trip at sea on M.V. Danah, which was operated by P.&O. on behalf of Kuwait Shipping Company. I joined her in Middlesbrough in July 1979, and left in Chiba (Japan) in January 1980.

Howard S 8th April 2008 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimC (Post 206421)
Does anyone rememebr a chap named Norman Hodder?

I recall a Capt. Mike Hodder - Ibn Rushd I think.

JimC 8th April 2008 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Spittle (Post 206520)
I recall a Capt. Mike Hodder - Ibn Rushd I think.

This one was ex Shell and employed as a Training captain. Another name might be Capt. John Scott

candpet 10th April 2008 11:52

to albier
well now youve got me guessing!i think this could be fun,we may have the whole of ksc trying to find out who we are!!
i joined in 1970,and was interviewed by capy brockbank,wow.
did you ever sail with erm let me see!!!! george donnison for example and what were you

candpet 10th April 2008 12:08

baileysan
didnt get a message
i sailed with you once
what was the second name of the two chief stewards who were brothers one was charles?

AlbieR 10th April 2008 21:44

Candpet.
Beat you by two years 1968 and interviewed by Ron the Con. Harry was the other brother and they were the O'briens.

IAINT 10th April 2008 22:25

I sailed with KSC (UASC) as R.O. on - AL RUMAITHIAH (1972),
AL JABIRIAH (1973-74)
IBN MAJID (1975)
IBN KHALDOUN (1975)
IBN TUFAIL (1975-76)
AL KHALDIAH (1976)
IBN HAZM (1977)
IBN AL MOATZ (1977-78)
ARAFAT (1978)

Regards
Iain T

baileysan 11th April 2008 22:28

Ksc

Candpet

O'Brian was the name I think. What ship did we sail on together. Peter Porter is no longer with us, a long story.

baileysan 11th April 2008 22:34

Ksc

IAINT

I was Chief on Rumaithiah from May to November 72. Did voyage to Japan plus Gulf etc.

baileysan 11th April 2008 22:37

Ksc

AlbieR

I think we know each othe very well. Hows life with you. I still keep in touch with a few old colleagues of yours.

AlbieR 11th April 2008 23:28

Baileysan
Yes it's me, last time I spoke to you was at Liverpool Catherdral. Life is not bad. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a cracking photo of Al Mubarakiah taken when she was handed over to the Kuwaiti's. Tried to send it through your PM but it was full.